What's new

2000 Ford F-550 Build

Good deal, was just curious.

Tent camping in the desert just isn't fun, sand everywhere, hot as fuck, then cold as fuck. WIND :barf:
:lmao:

I'd pay to see a livestream of you tent camping in 45acp's back yard. I'd even let you choose the season.

Last edited:
?

Like you've ever even camped, can't plug in the cpap machine in the forest. :laughing:

I know someone like you who projects commiefornian conditions onto the rest of the country wouldn't know this but bugs and water are the primary nuisances east of the Mississippi

And I pretty regularly went camping from youth through college and hope to never do so again. :flipoff2:

Good deal, was just curious.

Tent camping in the desert just isn't fun, sand everywhere, hot as fuck, then cold as fuck. WIND :barf: Then no privacy at all typically. Love mountain camping, but not desert.

You still thinking about the brownie box? Or give up on it?
Yeah, I love camping on the rubicon. I have camped in a tent for 10 nights at the hammers, fuck that. Lol I camped in the E350 when we hauled both the f550 and e350 out and said no more tent camping at the hammers.

I still have the brownie. I’ve considered it. I go back and forth. Sometimes I envision the brownie box, sometimes an Allison 6 speed swap (becoming more popular on 7.3s as of recently) sometimes I think ZF6 with a brownie.

Hell, I’ve even considered buying a 6.7 cummins and swapping it in. Some guys do 6.7s with standalone harnesses. Some guys do 5.9 swaps kits and you can use the 5.9 parts on the 6.7 that a typical fummins harness requires. There’s a lot of creativity happening.

One thing that surprises the hell out of me is how people are still so dedicated to the 7.3 platform. They are old and outdated but people have no problem dumping money at them. I see KC turbos innovating NEW products on 7.3s, you’d assume they’d only innovate on 6.7 stuff. They spent 3-4 years developing this new turbo, talk about commitment to an old platform. I am told by KC a compound kit will be coming out in the future, they are partnered up with a fab company on it. The amount of t4 turbo kit testing going on is astonishing, that is by regular enthusiasts. People change turbos like I change clothes. After people are spending thousands of dollars it appears the best setup is a S363/73 with a VGT from DPS but swap out for an 11+0 blade. Just a few years ago no one would even touch a S363 as they were deemed too small but experimenting is going a long way.

I’ve also started to see guys taking SAE bellhousings from buses and mating them to GM Allison’s and then doing DIY harnesses. Before that your only option was CA conversions wanting like 12k uninstalled, shipped to your house.

So long story longer, I’m sitting back, watching what people are doing, taking notes and figuring out what I want to do. Maybe I leave it all alone, maybe I don’t. What I will say, is that if I commit myself to something I’ll do it. I have seen far too many times guys on other forums claim they will do this elaborate build and then go missing and never build it.

I try not to do that

Better radio, more sound deadening.

You're well over 400k miles with 4spd and 4.88 gears, get the in cab noise level managed and enjoy it
This. The perfect is the enemy of the good.

That's actually false,

You are the primary nuisance east of the Mississippi
I wish. :lmao:

Last I checked urban northeast people cashing out hasn't fucked up the south nearly as bad as you and your buddies have fucked up the mountain states.

Yeah, I love camping on the rubicon. I have camped in a tent for 10 nights at the hammers, fuck that. Lol I camped in the E350 when we hauled both the f550 and e350 out and said no more tent camping at the hammers.

I still have the brownie. I’ve considered it. I go back and forth. Sometimes I envision the brownie box, sometimes an Allison 6 speed swap (becoming more popular on 7.3s as of recently) sometimes I think ZF6 with a brownie.

Biggest problem with the ZF6 is they're not making anymore of them and they go for stupid money.
Hell, I’ve even considered buying a 6.7 cummins and swapping it in. Some guys do 6.7s with standalone harnesses. Some guys do 5.9 swaps kits and you can use the 5.9 parts on the 6.7 that a typical fummins harness requires. There’s a lot of creativity happening.

Newer Cummins are so over rated, most the guys I know with them have more problems than the Ford or gm, but they're reliable you know, because Cummings :laughing: I think they can be good, just overrated.

By the time you fuck around with that kind of swap, you may as well just buy a 6.7 F550 for 5500 ram and get out and enjoy it.

One thing that surprises the hell out of me is how people are still so dedicated to the 7.3 platform. They are old and outdated but people have no problem dumping money at them. I see KC turbos innovating NEW products on 7.3s, you’d assume they’d only innovate on 6.7 stuff. They spent 3-4 years developing this new turbo, talk about commitment to an old platform. I am told by KC a compound kit will be coming out in the future, they are partnered up with a fab company on it. The amount of t4 turbo kit testing going on is astonishing, that is by regular enthusiasts. People change turbos like I change clothes. After people are spending thousands of dollars it appears the best setup is a S363/73 with a VGT from DPS but swap out for an 11+0 blade. Just a few years ago no one would even touch a S363 as they were deemed too small but experimenting is going a long way.

I'm surprised also, I haven't looked into anything in a while and kinda figured it would be pretty stale. It kinda does make sense though, with the popularity of older diesels being "better" and guys paying dumb money, but the having to compare to their buddies 450hp bone stock truck.

I’ve also started to see guys taking SAE bellhousings from buses and mating them to GM Allison’s and then doing DIY harnesses. Before that your only option was CA conversions wanting like 12k uninstalled, shipped to your house.

Gm Allison would be sweet, has a mega tall 6th gear that would work well with 4.88s and lots of support.
So long story longer, I’m sitting back, watching what people are doing, taking notes and figuring out what I want to do. Maybe I leave it all alone, maybe I don’t. What I will say, is that if I commit myself to something I’ll do it. I have seen far too many times guys on other forums claim they will do this elaborate build and then go missing and never build it.

I try not to do that

Turning you tow rig/crawler hauler into a full blown project is for people with no kids and energy of a 25 yr old.

As cool as it all is on paper, it almost always seems to not work out in the long run.

I remember a few

The addicted off road guy. Had a super nice OBS 7.3 dually, built it up a bit, went through lots of things, like most 7.3 guys and was pulling a smallish 5th wheel and crawler. Sold it iirc?

Then picked up a superduty 7.3, built it up a bit, similar approach again. Ended up loosing an injector and damaging the motor I believe. Ended up in a 6.7psd :homer:

Dude with the dt466 who had a ton of time into it, then it broke down pretty bad?

Infamous backwoods with the crazy F700 build, hopped up 5.9 12v, then swapped an auto, then swapped some Ford I6 diesel, cab swap, ect, then crazy injection pump failure. Pretty sure he ended up with a 6.7 psd also?

My dumbass with my 7.3 to 12v:flipoff2:

Don't get me wrong, I love the builds, it's just so nice to hop in a stock truck and not stress about getting there or getting home

As cool as it all is on paper, it almost always seems to not work out in the long run.

I remember a few

The addicted off road guy. Had a super nice OBS 7.3 dually, built it up a bit, went through lots of things, like most 7.3 guys and was pulling a smallish 5th wheel and crawler. Sold it iirc?

Then picked up a superduty 7.3, built it up a bit, similar approach again. Ended up loosing an injector and damaging the motor I believe. Ended up in a 6.7psd :homer:

Dude with the dt466 who had a ton of time into it, then it broke down pretty bad?

Infamous backwoods with the crazy F700 build, hopped up 5.9 12v, then swapped an auto, then swapped some Ford I6 diesel, cab swap, ect, then crazy injection pump failure. Pretty sure he ended up with a 6.7 psd also?

My dumbass with my 7.3 to 12v:flipoff2:

Don't get me wrong, I love the builds, it's just so nice to hop in a stock truck and not stress about getting there or getting home

I run a 7.3 with a VGT turbo and 4.30 gears now. Engine is 99% stock besides tuning and turbo. Has never had the valve covers off and I tow 13-14k. My thought process now is to move as much air as possible. Don't add a bunch of fuel just focus on burning what is already there. Makes for a very clean 320-330hp. I don't even run gauges anymore because I wanted more of a "stock" feeling, like you said, just jump in it and go.

Building a reliable modified rig is hard
I’ll admit I have had my fair share of failures in the beginning but I have taken my 6.2L L92 swapped H3 that I was able to factory integrate all the electronics, kept VVT and abs, it’s solid axle swapped with home brew shit up front (originally a d70 rear turned into front with kingpin 60 outers with h3 calipers and rear 2002 Chevy 2500 rotors) and an axle from the 1950s on 40in tires all across the western US. I took it on Ultimate Adventure in 2017 and 2018. In 2017 I drove it to UA (from so cal to AZ) then did UA, drove it home from UA (UT to So cal) then a week later drove to the rubicon, wheeled it and drove it home. It was 3k miles in just over 2 weeks. It was basically, 65-80 mph on the highway, beat it offroad, repeat. In a highly modified rig. UA 2018, drive 350 miles to my buddy’s tow rig, tow it to PA, drive the hummer from PA to Maine, wheel it through the North east back to PA, trailer it back to his house in so cal, drive it 350 miles back home. I can’t count on 2 hands how many 1000-3000 mile road trips with wheeling I have done in a highly customized vehicle.

After typing that I felt I have gotten soft, why am I hauling my rig to Moab? Lol either way, I believe you can make customized rigs work well but it takes a fuck load of time, dedication and testing.

I rushed my 6l80 swap in the h3 before having our first child last year and I’ve done 1 local Idaho trail, 1 rubicon trip, and 1 Moab trip. There’s quirks and tuning I need to figure out but time and use is making that list. I don’t trust it to do 1000 mile road trips yet but I am driving it, logging miles and figuring out quirks.

Everything I said is speculation on engine swaps and shit, I’m not seriously doing these swaps but consider them from time to time. When it comes to replacing it with a newer truck, you all have to remember I can’t “just replace” my truck. Sell this and buy a new one is not plug and play. I need a crew cab and need a 16 ft bed which doesn’t exist. So I buy a newer truck (2017-2018) I then have to cut the frame in half, extend the wheelbase 36-38in, figure out all the brake line and fuel line extensions then aren’t these new frames much more specific to welding technique due to material?

I have the money set aside to buy a newer f550 but I don’t know if I have the balls to cut it in half. So I keep saving the money and pondering my next steps, which has been nothing. I still drive the h3 to and from the trails when it’s under 300 miles from home. I use this truck for wheeling trips 3-4 times a year, I have a company work car I drive daily. If I needed this truck daily for work it’s a different story. I’m sure the noise and comfort would drive me nuts if it was used often.

I run a 7.3 with a VGT turbo and 4.30 gears now. Engine is 99% stock besides tuning and turbo. Has never had the valve covers off and I tow 13-14k. My thought process now is to move as much air as possible. Don't add a bunch of fuel just focus on burning what is already there. Makes for a very clean 320-330hp. I don't even run gauges anymore because I wanted more of a "stock" feeling, like you said, just jump in it and go.
I have been following your build on FTE, your testing and never give up attitude on the VGT is what makes me believe in it now. I saw so many red flags in the beginning with other guys having issues I wrote it off. I think dollar for useable power, it’s the next route I go.

Yota is right, but the numbers make more sense when a new tow rig costs 70+ fuckin grand. I'd rather build a reliable rig myself than pay that bill.

You don't have to go new, I paid $17k for my 2016 6.7psd. Which is probably less than you can find a decent 7.3 for right now :laughing:

Which vgt? He351ve or aftermarket?

I like that approach. I used to hate reading on 7.3s on the diesel ricer forums. "You don't need to change the turbo or add an i/c until stage 3 injectors" or whatever. :homer:

The turbos on the 7.3s suck.

I have been following your build on FTE, your testing and never give up attitude on the VGT is what makes me believe in it now. I saw so many red flags in the beginning with other guys having issues I wrote it off. I think dollar for useable power, it’s the next route I go.
Same here, Its been enjoyable and something positive for a change

Im glad I've kept my 01' closeish to stock, it just works.

Yota is right, but the numbers make more sense when a new tow rig costs 70+ fuckin grand. I'd rather build a reliable rig myself than pay that bill.
That's the dilemma I'm in.

New rig:
$70+k
$1,500 taillight (still in a box)
a) $5,500 to install by dealer.
Electronic sensors for everything.
Electronics that are updated like smartphones.
Electronic/remote-activated kill switch.

Instead of spending $70k on a new F-550 XL Supercab; I want to build a '72 F-100 on an '05+ F-350/450/550/600 chassis, and register it as a '72 F-100.

And I don't even want a restored cab.
I want a cab that's seen nothing but desert weather, and have at least one door a different color!:smokin::grinpimp:
Faded paint/a couple of dings/and the faded company logo still on the door.:smokin::usa:

You don't have to go new, I paid $17k for my 2016 6.7psd. Which is probably less than you can find a decent 7.3 for right now :laughing:

I like that approach. I used to hate reading on 7.3s on the diesel ricer forums. "You don't need to change the turbo or add an i/c until stage 3 injectors" or whatever. :homer:

This,
20190529_100135_2ac87ddbb61de55f1ddec1b944f81f0d4c9ccc14.jpg

Plus this,

This,

Anddd this,

80hp Hydra tuning

Sifting through the diesel ricer shit sucks. Bad. Good tech is so hard to come by in that crowd.

I liked my 7.3 and put 100k on it towing a lot of the time, but I don’t feel nostalgia for it. The brake rotors warped constantly, calipers stuck, and the 3-4 split left a lot to be desired on the 4r100.

Add me to the believers in used 6.7’s. Paid $37k for a 2012 60k mile dually that has been pretty much flawless in the 40k I’ve put on it. Theres something to be said for OEM engineering that generally works pretty darn well together.

Holy fuck, that’s the deal of the century, no? My buddy paid 35 or 37k for a 2012 f450 (non cab and chassis) in august of 2020

Holy fuck, that’s the deal of the century, no? My buddy paid 35 or 37k for a 2012 f450 (non cab and chassis) in august of 2020

It was trade in price from a friend with 175k miles. But they're out there for around that.

There is the same truck but srw for sale near by for $25k 2016, cclb, xlt, 165k miles.

Buying a higher mile modern diesel is a little scarry, but they've made so many of them, I'm starting to see more and more wrecked ones getting parted out on marketplace. Probably easier to find a decent 6.7 donor than 7.3.

It was trade in price from a friend with 175k miles. But they're out there for around that.

There is the same truck but srw for sale near by for $25k 2016, cclb, xlt, 165k miles.

Buying a higher mile modern diesel is a little scarry, but they've made so many of them, I'm starting to see more and more wrecked ones getting parted out on marketplace. Probably easier to find a decent 6.7 donor than 7.3.
17k and 25k is a substantially different price. That is almost 50% more.

17k and 25k is a substantially different price. That is almost 50% more.

Yes, but that's asking price and near zero effort looking at prices, just what I saw locally.

So maybe you're right and I got a better deal than I'm leading on, but I still think these truck are attainable for around $20k if you don't need a fully loaded model.

Edit: here's a few examples.

Obviously you have to be OK with around 200k miles or more

Screenshot_20240406_120920_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20240406_121057_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20240406_121125_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
This,
20190529_100135_2ac87ddbb61de55f1ddec1b944f81f0d4c9ccc14.jpg

Plus this,

This,

Anddd this,

80hp Hydra tuning
How are you controlling it?

Sifting through the diesel ricer shit sucks. Bad. Good tech is so hard to come by in that crowd.

I liked my 7.3 and put 100k on it towing a lot of the time, but I don’t feel nostalgia for it. The brake rotors warped constantly, calipers stuck, and the 3-4 split left a lot to be desired on the 4r100.

Add me to the believers in used 6.7’s. Paid $37k for a 2012 60k mile dually that has been pretty much flawless in the 40k I’ve put on it. Theres something to be said for OEM engineering that generally works pretty darn well together.

A CP4 failure is more than I have in a SD 7.3l and built 4R100.

Can honestly say I'll never own a 6.7 powerjoke. $37k buys me a 5.9L cummins a few tines over without the impeding 5 digit repair.

Ita adjusts off of exhaust back pressure and controls itself mechanically.
Yup, a "3 stage" mechanical actuator, works pretty good. Their marketing pitch is a little off with claims of better than 1:1 boost/exhaust pressure ratios. That NEVER happens. In low RPM/boost scenarios exhaust pressure is double of what boost is (1:2) as boost builds it will drop down to 1:1.5 with glimpses of 1:1 at around 30psi with a constant load. When load increases exhaust pressure always increases more than boost. This is how a vgt should work so I don't know what they are trying to gain with such claims. The operation of the vgt and very smooth and linear though.

Yup, a "3 stage" mechanical actuator, works pretty good. Their marketing pitch is a little off with claims of better than 1:1 boost/exhaust pressure ratios. That NEVER happens. In low RPM/boost scenarios exhaust pressure is double of what boost is (1:2) as boost builds it will drop down to 1:1.5 with glimpses of 1:1 at around 30psi with a constant load. When load increases exhaust pressure always increases more than boost. This is how a vgt should work so I don't know what they are trying to gain with such claims. The operation of the vgt and very smooth and linear though.
Link to controller?

Wasn't there an electronic one that would do braking to some degree?

Top Back Refresh