What's new

1st Build Thread Attempt - Cheap Suzi

I will be saving the engine, wiring harness and ecm, radiator, clutch, and probably the trans and rear end as I've got a buddy that runs these.

The buckets will make their way into the Samurai and the wheels will be for my demolition derby trucks.

There's not much else good on it, pretty rotten.

There's not much else good on it, pretty rotten.
Cut it up with a sawzall.

I guran-fucking-tee you that you will wind up with half a dozen "hey, that's actually pretty nice, I'll save that for a patch panel" situations.

Got the Tracker stripped. I'm saving the front seats, as they are in great shape and I want to try and fit them in the Samurai. I'm trying to sell some misc parts off it, but people messaging me on FB Marketplace have already annoyed me so it'll all probably just go across the scale.

Started cleaning up the wiring harnesses. I'm just going to send them out to ZOR to have the trim work done. For the price he charges, to me it makes more sense to let the professional handle it. It would honestly take me longer to figure it out myself than it would just to work and pay him to do it for me.

We don't have smog testing up here, so hopefully he'll be able to get rid of most the emissions shit.

Probably start pulling the 1.3 out of the Sami once I send the wiring harness out. Do you think there's any market for a good rebuild candidate? How about a distributor and MSD 6AL box and wiring, someone could drop in their 1.3? Not sure if any of its worth trying to sell.

Also, any first hand experience using a 1.3 header on a 16 valve 1.6? I know they work on the 8 valves, haven't found anything about the 16v.

Hope everyone had a great turkey day!

Attachments

• 20221126_160929.jpg
    20221126_160929.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 14
  • 20221126_160909.jpg
    20221126_160909.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 9
  • 20221126_160857.jpg
    20221126_160857.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 9
  • 20221126_160835.jpg
    20221126_160835.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 9
  • 20221126_160826.jpg
    20221126_160826.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 8
I dont believe the 1.3 header will work at all.

I also always tell Myron at zor to charge me an extra $20 when doing my harnesses and give it to his grand daughter as a tip. She is the one that strips the harnesses down and preps them for him to do the final work. She is probably 15 now and seems to want to work hard.

I dont believe the 1.3 header will work at all.

I also always tell Myron at zor to charge me an extra $20 when doing my harnesses and give it to his grand daughter as a tip. She is the one that strips the harnesses down and preps them for him to do the final work. She is probably 15 now and seems to want to work hard.
Myron is fucking awesome. I keep asking him questions (probably dumb) and he never hesitates to answer and make sure I understand what he's saying.

I know he's swamped so I figured I'd cut the tape and shit off for him. I forget how much he charges to do it for the customer but it's not enough. Lol this is a lot of work!

I threw in some brand used front springs since my alternate personality was too many vodkas in and bent the old ones backwards. I have a set of newer YJ springs from Crown that I kept off the Samurai roller body donor. The old springs were 4 leaf packs, as are the Crown springs. I took the bent main leafs out of the old packs, cut the eyes off, and added them under the main leafs on the Crown packs. I always felt like it was too soft before. I had to check and it still flexes. I'll probably make bumpstops now. It was never an issue until the alternate personality started driving. :flipoff2:

Attachments

• 20221206_161442.jpg
    20221206_161442.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 27
It's always funny how we'll spend $1000s on all these upgrades, but continue to use horrible junk seats that make you feel all kinked up after every run :laughing:

When's the engine swap start?
Right!

I'm going to put the order through for the swap kit hopefully this week. I need to box the wiring harness and gauge clusters up and get them mailed out.

Sounds like the harnesses are going to be a couple months before I get them back. That should give me time to get the engine in and everything else ready. Also planning on putting a timing belt and water pump kit into the engine before throwing it in.

Right!

I'm going to put the order through for the swap kit hopefully this week. I need to box the wiring harness and gauge clusters up and get them mailed out.

Sounds like the harnesses are going to be a couple months before I get them back. That should give me time to get the engine in and everything else ready. Also planning on putting a timing belt and water pump kit into the engine before throwing it in.

Cutting the harness down is really not very hard. If I could do it at 19 years old, I'm sure you can :flipoff2: I even cut the entire harness in half to get it out of the donor. :laughing:

Are you going full jeeper style with a bolt in kit?

Full Jeeper style this time! Figure the kit encompasses everything I need, May as well. At least it ain't coming from a JC Whitney catalog :flipoff2:

I'm sure I could figure the harness out, but for what it costs it'll take me longer to hack the harness than it would to work some OT and pay a professional to do it.

If I were 19 I'd probably do it myself. I had a lot more ambition and a lot less money back then lol

Full Jeeper style this time! Figure the kit encompasses everything I need, May as well. At least it ain't coming from a JC Whitney catalog :flipoff2:

I'm sure I could figure the harness out, but for what it costs it'll take me longer to hack the harness than it would to work some OT and pay a professional to do it.

If I were 19 I'd probably do it myself. I had a lot more ambition and a lot less money back then lol

I can relate to all of this.

As years go by, I'm more likely to buy kits than spend 2 weekends fighting something.

I'm really thinking about dropping my 2.0 in my samurai after winter and am probably going to go somewhere in the middle between full kit and full diy.

I can relate to all of this.

As years go by, I'm more likely to buy kits than spend 2 weekends fighting something.

I'm really thinking about dropping my 2.0 in my samurai after winter and am probably going to go somewhere in the middle between full kit and full diy.
Part of me wishes I had held until I found a cheap 2.0 donor. I keep reading/getting told the 16v is a pile. Hopefully my experience is okay.

What trans and t case would you run behind the 2.0?
Make sure you do new valve seals. These 16V are known for leaking.
Good call, but that will probably be down the road. Either when I melt a head gasket or it starts smoking like a teenager. It puffs a hint of burnt oil at cold start, which I can imagine is going to turn into a full on Aussie burnout amount of smoke in no time. :laughing:

Also, $1100 poorer as of 5 minutes ago...swap kit ordered.

Really tempted to buy that 15 gallon tank with in tank pump. I have E2000 pumps on the shelf and a brand new tank in the Samurai, but that 15 gallon unit would be sweet.

Random wheeling picture of all the homies on my bachelor party in Indiana.

Attachments

• 20220924_174248.jpg
    20220924_174248.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 9
Just be aware you lose a decent amount of ground clearance with that 15 gallon tank:

20220917_122108.jpg

If you do go for it, I would get it in the white/natural color so you can eyeball the fuel level vs relying on the gauge.

Just be aware you lose a decent amount of ground clearance with that 15 gallon tank:

If you do go for it, I would get it in the white/natural color so you can eyeball the fuel level vs relying on the gauge.
Thats what Yotaatietoo said, about losing ground clearance. I never saw a picture of one installed until the one you posted, it does hang pretty low. I think I'll stick with the stock tank.

Thats what Yotaatietoo said, about losing ground clearance. I never saw a picture of one installed until the one you posted, it does hang pretty low. I think I'll stick with the stock tank.

Its about level with the ~4.5" shackles :homer:

Also, it's a big square wall in the back vs the stock being tapered.

Finally had some time to pull the engine this afternoon. I fucked up and bought a 1.6 flywheel and clutch, just found out today you have to use the 1.3 shit. It'll all be here this week so no biggie.

Anyone want a good rebuildable 1.3? Certified Machine 3K carb, Low Range dual v belt balancer, eBay header, distributor set up for MSD ignition, etc. Still runs great, never really used much oil. Started getting a slight noise after ingesting a hint of water.
20230107_152453.jpg
20230107_163817.jpg

Finally had some time to pull the engine this afternoon. I fucked up and bought a 1.6 flywheel and clutch, just found out today you have to use the 1.3 shit. It'll all be here this week so no biggie.

Anyone want a good rebuildable 1.3? Certified Machine 3K carb, Low Range dual v belt balancer, eBay header, distributor set up for MSD ignition, etc. Still runs great, never really used much oil. Started getting a slight noise after ingesting a hint of water.
20230107_152453.jpg
20230107_163817.jpg

Man if you were closer I would snag that up.

I had the correct clutch waiting at my door when I got home from work, so I was able to get the trans mated to the engine. Pretty uneventful mating period, the tranny just did tranny things. Had to play with its output shaft to get the process started, but soon 2 became 1.

Does anyone know why it's said that the 1.3 water outlet tube has to be used? They look similar to me, but there must be a reason.

Wife just got home, she went to see if her HCG (???) levels doubled. We've been trying for a kid, last try was a miscarriage so wish me luck that I hear some good news.

Attachments

• 20230111_154940.jpg
    20230111_154940.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 10
My wife and I went through 5 miscarriages and wound up with 3 heathly boys just to give you faith.

Also, many people do not realize how common they are. Our doctor told us that about 60% of pregnancy's end in miscarriage. Most people just don't talk about it.

My wife and I went through 5 miscarriages and wound up with 3 heathly boys just to give you faith.

Also, many people do not realize how common they are. Our doctor told us that about 60% of pregnancy's end in miscarriage. Most people just don't talk about it.
Thanks for that man!

Looks like the appointment went well, so I'm a dad!

The plan was to change the timing belt and water pump after I got it running, as it'd be one less thing in the trouble shooting pile if it puts up a fight.

I started swapping the crank pulley when I noticed it had been rubbing on the timing cover. The alternator and water pump belt had also been rubbing on the cover.

It looks like the center hub of the old crank pulley was walking out, which would have caused the body of the pulley to move towards the cover.

It also had a massive oil leak behind the cover, coming from the front main seal area. I don't know the severity as it's probably never been touched, but it was pretty nasty. I cleaned it up and it almost looks like the crank sensor trigger is rubbing the oil pump cover, which I hope isn't the case.

Is that relief behind the trigger supposed to be like this?

Even my dog knows it's fucked. She's never just barked at anything, and she kept barking at the engine.

Attachments

• Snapchat-15848199.mp4
    6.3 MB
  • 20230114_122307.jpg
    20230114_122307.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 11
  • 20230114_122228.jpg
    20230114_122228.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 8
  • 20230114_122216.jpg
    20230114_122216.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 8
Also, if it’s been driving like that, there’s probably a good chance that block is cracked between #1 and #2 cylinder.

Don’t look. Trust me. :laughing:

Top Back Refresh