What's new

1980 F350 Farm Truck Re-Build

Power is fine, does what it should. It really does well with the under 1200 rpm stuff. Accidently started it in gear, slight uphill with the parking brake somewhat set. :laughing:

Wife said the other day it went into "electric mode" when we went from gravel to paved road because it is quiet and smooth on the road.

There's about 2 miles of 65mph speed limit, I've been that fast probably once because I don't pay enough attention. It is smooth and tight, as far as steering and drivetrain go.

Loose and wobbly as far as body panels, bed sides and doors go :laughing:

I drove an 85 for a work truck when I was the piece of shit new guy in the oilfield. It was a 460 4 speed truck that was mechanically solid. But I had to weld the cracks in the core support every week because the body was just breaking apart. The part of the cab the door hinges bolted to cracked out. It was a junker but keeping it running and making money showed the company I was at least worth keeping around. So I graduated up to an equally beat up 1990 460 5 speed truck after a year or two.

M
I drove an 85 for a work truck when I was the piece of shit new guy in the oilfield. It was a 460 4 speed truck that was mechanically solid. But I had to weld the cracks in the core support every week because the body was just breaking apart. The part of the cab the door hinges bolted to cracked out. It was a junker but keeping it running and making money showed the company I was at least worth keeping around. So I graduated up to an equally beat up 1990 460 5 speed truck after a year or two.

My uncle drove a primer gray 80 F350 4 speed truck for what seemed like 1/2 my life and when he finally retired it the truck was still running and driving but the body got so wore out he just couldn't keep up with it anymore. He had the cab door and core support problems like you and I also remember their being 2x4 wood bedside braces carriage bolted in so the bedsides wouldn't flop around going down the road. :laughing:

Yeah drivetrain is really my big concern and seems to be doing real well. It's funny how I did all this work to this thing, but never really checked the passenger side much. Passenger door is a bear to open from outside, passenger window died, passenger seat belt locked up :laughing: sorry wife :rasta:

Biggest ask so far, 16ish foot long lumber stacked to the top of the toolbox. Did well, put it in 4wd just to help with some of the gravel hill climbs, managed to even accelerate from 10 to 15 mph on the steepest one, which just tells me I could've gone heavier and been fine :smokin:

20240622_120711.jpg

I was telling my mom about the various reason this is the worst year f350 ever built and she asks why I built it then.

Being terrible means it's cheap, I'm not asking it to do a whole lot, if it burns down while I'm gone it won't be too heartbreaking :laughing:

After the lumber yard, even the wife had good things to say about it :smokin:

I’d take that scenery over Gatesville any day of the week.
The grass is always greener, people here often seem surprised that I am choosing to be here out of anywhere in the world :laughing: small towns get boring when you are stuck in them, heck, I wanted to leave my small town for a long time. It's so wildly over populated now, I'm not sure I could ever go back.

Being able to leave and scratch that itch for a while makes a big difference.

It was making more and worse noise again, front left this time :laughing:

Kid hit the rear view mirror with his head. Significantly improved quality of the windshield

20240704_205330.jpg

Picked up some 16' lumber without the trailer. Wanted shorter but they didn't have any. Easier to do when you aren't worried about paint

20240703_131308.jpg

Appears to be a slight coolant leak at the heater core. Probably just loose hoses, haven't looked yet.

Did use 4wd lo range the other day while exploring the rest of the road, seems only cows have used it for a while as it's well overgrown

That’s how my granddad used to haul stuff. I can remember having to stop and resecure a bunch of 1-1/2x1-1/2 bridging angle because it was rattling and making noise.
Some dairy men picked up some pipes from us that way.:laughing:

Top Back Refresh