What's new

1979 F150 4x4 Godzilla Swap

I'd question how different it would all be.
In my V10 with 6 speed auto motorhome, I used
2012 F250 Borg Warner 1128F Manual shift with flange yokes,43 spline input.

Well you can go back another generation and get a 5.4/6R80 for cheap. Gets factory reliability but not the cool factor of the new stuff

Expo/Nav 5.4/6R80 went to 2014 and can be had with low miles (20-60k) $3k. F150 stuff is more expensive/ more miles.

If 310hp/365tq isn't enough, toss a factory blower on it from lightning, HD 150s

Atlas has a 6R80 adapter to 6 bolt round, 205, BWxxxx ect.

Last edited:
For comparison, I have $27k in my 3k pickup. Insured for 65k

So yes, securing the truck after build is important. Ignition lock, hotwire lockout, hood lock and so on.

Last edited:
Well you can go back another generation and get a 5.4/6R80 for cheap. Gets factory reliability but not the cool factor of the new stuff

Expo/Nav 5.4/6R80 went to 2014 and can be had with low miles (20-60k) $3k. F150 stuff is more expensive/ more miles.

If 310hp/365tq isn't enough, toss a factory blower on it from lightning, HD 150s

Atlas has a 6R80 adapter to 6 bolt round, 205, BWxxxx ect.
You want the Navigator for the good heads. I don't recall the exact details.

30k into a truck for kif to warp it round a tree? Plenty of young guys I knew all wrecked the vehicles they didn't have to pay for.

Frig he could drive the truck for 10 years on 20k of fuel with a 351 or 460.

If we all worried about only doing sensible builds we'd eventually distill to not building at all and just driving a Prius.

Also dropping a 351w or a 460 into a 73-79 F-series still requires a bit of work and money. Building a 351w or a 460 to come close to those horsepower numbers almost costs the same (some times more) as buying a pull-out 7.3 with less reliability and fuel economy.

I do agree that a kid will not respect something he doesn't have to build but maybe he'll be involved.

If we all worried about only doing sensible builds we'd eventually distill to not building at all and just driving a Prius.

Also dropping a 351w or a 460 into a 73-79 F-series still requires a bit of work and money. Building a 351w or a 460 to come close to those horsepower numbers almost costs the same (some times more) as buying a pull-out 7.3 with less reliability and fuel economy.

I do agree that a kid will not respect something he doesn't have to build but maybe he'll be involved.
Previous reply got deleted in the purge.

This. Getting 450HP on 87 octane with EFI on either a Windsor or 385 series engine under $10,000 is going to be next to impossible.

From all my research, it seems like the best combo is a coyote and either 6R80 or 10R80. Find f150 donor for cheaper build, crate for easier build. Godzilla is just not at a point where there is enough support/controllers. I think that at some time changes because mustang guys want to put supercharged Godzilla in with 700 HP. Anyway, I am trying to get this truck. It will be spring before I do much with it.

Have you played around with the idea of running the Infamous pull-out bundle with the 7.3+6r140 and an NP205? It's been suggested that an AA adapter could made to work but of course no one has done it yet. Another option is to run an Atlas or divorced transfercase.

Holy hell you guys are nuts. 2500 for a controller DAMN. 30k into a 6k truck, ehy not just buy an F250?

For 30k why bother with the godzilla, why not just do a v10?
Would it be cheaper to find a fleet truck with this combo and body swap it? Of course would be frame shortening for a reg cab short bed

FYI have not looked at fleet trucks in a bit.

Would it be cheaper to find a fleet truck with this combo and body swap it? Of course would be frame shortening for a reg cab short bed

That's what I determined would be best for my '65.
Get all the good shit just have to make it fit the body/cab no real problem solving of power train unless wheel base is a problem.

30k is a shit ton to spend on an engine tranny combo. And you still have shitty brakes, shitty steering, and everything else.

Seriously, cab swap all the way. The advantage of new trucks is not in the engine/transmission, so blowing that much money seems kind of backwards.

Buy my 2008 F350 for 3500, throw in a fresh 5.4 and you got 22k left and a truck to swap your cab onto.

Where you located? I have an IH pickup that needs a non 50's frame under it.

two states south. 150k miles, drives straight as an arrow, coiled front, manual transfer case. It even drives, just cam phaser issue. Nice long bed (beat tailgate) with linex, could get a pretty penny just for that. Take it from me, because i have enough projects!

two states south. 150k miles, drives straight as an arrow, coiled front, manual transfer case. It even drives, just cam phaser issue. Nice long bed (beat tailgate) with linex, could get a pretty penny just for that. Take it from me, because i have enough projects!
Or buy my friend's with just over 100k miles in similar condition (but the bed is shot) in NY for $1500...

Aaron Z

Have you played around with the idea of running the Infamous pull-out bundle with the 7.3+6r140 and an NP205? It's been suggested that an AA adapter could made to work but of course no one has done it yet. Another option is to run an Atlas or divorced transfercase.
I saw that, there is not a factory controller with it. 6r140 is a big tranny as well. They are currently showing back ordered. I am worried about what needs deleted As far as emissions, etc. I want todo as much factory parts as possible to make everything reliable. I also have not got a clear answer on if the 2nd trannies are the same as 4wd.

Going to pick up truck next week. This will be fairly long build as wife says I have to finish backyard first. I think I will rebuild axles first.

30k is a shit ton to spend on an engine tranny combo. And you still have shitty brakes, shitty steering, and everything else.

Seriously, cab swap all the way. The advantage of new trucks is not in the engine/transmission, so blowing that much money seems kind of backwards.

Buy my 2008 F350 for 3500, throw in a fresh 5.4 and you got 22k left and a truck to swap your cab onto.
But I am looking to do a restomod. If I wanted a newer truck I would just buy one.

Top Back Refresh