What's new

1979 F150 4x4 Godzilla Swap

Red75bronco

Member Number
I am about to buy a 1979 F150 4x4 Shortbed project truck. Will only buy if I can get comfortable with putting in a Godzilla with 6R80. Has anyone done this? I have been searching. Seems there is not a single controller for the engine and tranny. Also, is the BW 4418 the right transfer case to put behind it? I would like shift on the fly but manual. Any direction or thought would be great.

I have found a controller for a Godzilla and 10R80. This will be mostly street, no heavy crawling, so that would probably be better anyway. It pull dbe nice to get the control pack from ford, but I hav heard they only have for a Godzilla 10R140 combination. I am worried the drivetrain would get too long as this is a shortbed.

This is what I have found.

Jegs have Godzilla crates. Any ideas on where to get transmission?

I don't think the 10R140 is so much longer that it'd prevent you fitting it in a short bed. MARS has a terrible reputation, I wouldn't spend any money with them after the horror stories I've heard. Ford control pack setups are really solid and well supported by the aftermarket, would be my first choice.

The 7.3 swaps I've found all seem to be really poorly documented. "Ford Era" on youtube has one in a short bed dent but he's a drop the truck off at someone else's shop and pick it up when it's done guy so there's no real info. If you watch enough of them you might be able to figure out what his setup is.

Is there any reason you're dead set on a 7.3 instead of a Coyote/6R80 combo that's got all the support in the world?

Godzilla is mod motor pattern iirc.

Would be fun to mate to a manual.
I just looked it up out of curiosity and he is correct. Should be piles of manuals out there for them, though I'm not sure how much power they can handle.

I just looked it up out of curiosity and he is correct. Should be piles of manuals out there for them, though I'm not sure how much power they can handle.

Mod motor would mean V10/ZF6 only for truck stuff no?

Wait, maybe the 5.4 came with a ZF5?

Mod motor would mean V10/ZF6 only for truck stuff no?

Wait, maybe the 5.4 came with a ZF5?
Mod motor to me means 4.6/5.4, but the 6.8 also falls in there and, per the article I read, the coyote as well at least as far as bellhousings are concerned.

And I would assume the v8s also came with manuals in the poverty package.

Mod motor to me means 4.6/5.4, but the 6.8 also falls in there and, per the article I read, the coyote as well at least as far as bellhousings are concerned.

And I would assume the v8s also came with manuals in the poverty package.

I had to Google to be sure.

V8 and V10 super duty got a ZF5 in 99, after that it was ZF6.

Not many people want a gas ZF6, I could have had one for about $100 a few years ago.

Godzilla is same bolt pattern as coyote and mod motors.

Thought of coyote, just Godzilla will fit, should last longer, simpler motor is my thought. Crate coyotes are more expensive than Godzilla. Heard ford is going to do a manual module. Could do that with a Quick 6.

I am open to the coyote as well.

Godzilla is 2.3 more awesome than a Coyote. That’s just math. Why would you talk him out of it?
Godzilla is 3 cams less awesome than a Coyote :flipoff2:

Looking at Ford Performance's website that 10R140 looks very similar size wise to the E4OD and Ford was putting those in Broncos and short bed trucks from the factory in the 90's, so it'll fit length wise. I don't know what it takes to convert that transmission to 4wd or if the control pack will play nice with a 4wd transmission/manual t-case combo.

As what the others said. 99-02 5.4 and 6.8 trucks had ZF S5-47 with a 31 spline output and the familiar 6 bolt pattern.

2003 and later got the 6 speed with the fucked up coarse 24 spline that limits you to an NVG 271 or 273. Though I’m sure it’s possible to create a stub shaft to go to a different transfer case.

I’m looking forward to the build.

2003 and later got the 6 speed with the fucked up coarse 24 spline that limits you to an NVG 271 or 273. Though I’m sure it’s possible to create a stub shaft to go to a different transfer case.

I’m looking forward to the build.

Are you sure about the 24 coarse spline? I know the ZF s6-650 in my 7.3L truck is 34 spline output and that is all I've ever read the s6-650/750s having :confused: However, your satement about transfer case compatibility is true, but the NV271 isn't a bad case unless you need the ability to perform digs or can't physically fit it. If you are willing to go aftermarket, Atlas 2 & 4 speeds are available with a 34 spline input, and Northwest Fab Black Boxes are available with a 34 spline input. There may be others as well.

What are you using for a donor?

Here is a guy that did an 03 lightning swap. But he basically just put the body on a newer chassis.
Seems like a better way to swap something like this. Get the newer suspension and brakes.

Depends on your end goal I guess.

1979 Bronco- 2003 Lightning swap

Are you sure about the 24 coarse spline? I know the ZF s6-650 in my 7.3L truck is 34 spline output and that is all I've ever read the s6-650/750s having :confused: However, your satement about transfer case compatibility is true, but the NV271 isn't a bad case unless you need the ability to perform digs or can't physically fit it. If you are willing to go aftermarket, Atlas 2 & 4 speeds are available with a 34 spline input, and Northwest Fab Black Boxes are available with a 34 spline input. There may be others as well.
I think it's 27spl.

Everything up through the 4R100 has 31spl and after that it goes to 34 for the larger automatics (half ton stuff keeps the 31 at least until the 2010s, IDK if thins change after that) and the ZF6 uses something special, 24, 27, something like that.

Ford Performance control pack.

I'd go with that.

These guys are advertising a 7.3/6R140 control pack

these guys offer both options :

I think it's 27spl.

Everything up through the 4R100 has 31spl and after that it goes to 34 for the larger automatics (half ton stuff keeps the 31 at least until the 2010s, IDK if thins change after that) and the ZF6 uses something special, 24, 27, something like that.

The 34 spline in the newer automatics is the same as all the ZF s6-650/750 stuff in the diesels and I read somewhere that the 6.0L and 6.4L used the modular bellhousing. I was unaware of the gas engines being any different and I am not sure why they would be. I have only heard of 31 and 34 spline inputs on the Ford NV271/273s.

The ZF S5-47 was used in some of the early gas superduties and has the typical 31 spline output.

The 34 spline in the newer automatics is the same as all the ZF s6-650/750 stuff in the diesels and I read somewhere that the 6.0L and 6.4L used the modular bellhousing. I was unaware of the gas engines being any different and I am not sure why they would be. I have only heard of 31 and 34 spline inputs on the Ford NV271/273s.

The ZF S5-47 was used in some of the early gas superduties and has the typical 31 spline output.
I know when I was searching for an NVG 271 from about that era there was one odd 20-something spline I had to watch out for.

I should have put "ZF Gas 6 speeds". The Diesels were 34 spline. Gassers were 24 spline.

Edit - here is the input gear for one of those oddballs -> TK20218 24 Spline Input Shaft for Ford NV271F, NV273F

Last edited:
Interesting, I had no idea. :beer:
I went down this rabbit hole to get a ZF 6 speed in my EB with the Godzilla and hit this brick wall. If you can fit the 271 or 273, by all means run it. They are exceptional cases, but you are going to have a hell of a time fitting anything else.

Here I the plan. The truck is actually for my son. This is why I want a modern drivetrain. Seems like it is 7.3 with 10R140 or coyote with 6r80 or 10r80. I want to use ford control pack. 7.3 engine is cheaper than coyote for a crate, transmission seems to be really expensive. It is a half ton truck, shot bed. Put 33s or 35s, restomod. Drivetrain just described. Dakota digital dash. Pretty much just make it new. Was hoping to do all for $30k. Truck is $6k, no rust, minimal body work. Need t9 taco all interior. Suspension, frame, then drivetrain. The other thing I am worried about is securing it.

the transfer case is what makes it a PITA. I would be good with electric if it is somewhat simple.

Here I the plan. The truck is actually for my son. This is why I want a modern drivetrain. Seems like it is 7.3 with 10R140 or coyote with 6r80 or 10r80. I want to use ford control pack. 7.3 engine is cheaper than coyote for a crate, transmission seems to be really expensive. It is a half ton truck, shot bed. Put 33s or 35s, restomod. Drivetrain just described. Dakota digital dash. Pretty much just make it new. Was hoping to do all for $30k. Truck is $6k, no rust, minimal body work. Need t9 taco all interior. Suspension, frame, then drivetrain. The other thing I am worried about is securing it.

the transfer case is what makes it a PITA. I would be good with electric if it is somewhat simple.

You better hope really fucking hard :laughing:

Engine/10spd package is $20k alone.

I'd be impressed if you could do what youre describing for double that.

Holy hell you guys are nuts. 2500 for a controller DAMN. 30k into a 6k truck, ehy not just buy an F250?

For 30k why bother with the godzilla, why not just do a v10?

You better hope really fucking hard :laughing:

Engine/10spd package is $20k alone.

I'd be impressed if you could do what youre describing for double that.
That is what I am seeing. The Godzilla and controller is 9500. The transmission puts it at 19k. The coyote is 10k by itself. Engine and tranny at 19k.

Holy hell you guys are nuts. 2500 for a controller DAMN. 30k into a 6k truck, ehy not just buy an F250?

For 30k why bother with the godzilla, why not just do a v10?
Coyote and Godzilla have plug and play controllers with factory reliability. That is what I a man looking for.

Ford Performance control pack.

I'd go with that.

These guys are advertising a 7.3/6R140 control pack

these guys offer both options :

My buddy bought the infamous project pullout combo to put in his EB. He’s running the 7.3, 6r80, np205.

My plan for my shortbed f150 was 7.3, 10 speed, np205 but I’m years away from pulling the trigger.

Top Back Refresh