What's new

1978 F-fun hundred 3/4 tons and 37s

I had reached another burn out phase in the build and redirected my time effort and money towards my garage and the race car which overall didn’t exactly make progress but built long term equity. The following pictures are random checklist stuff that spread out over a few month.

Not much to document on the rear bumper. It’s AMD and not knowing any better I’d say it’s a decent bumper. Bumper brackets are hard to come by for these trucks. I said F it and bought the cheapest wrong application brackets I could find on eBay. They’re F250 or something. They’re close but had enough meat I could trim and drill my own holes. It worked well enough.
IMG_7654.jpeg

Before the engine even had oil I had a leaky pan. Just the assembly goo was finding its way out. How did this happen? I had some air head moment where I uprighted the engine before/during the pan install and I tainted the gasket maker. I also over torqued the bolts and deflected the timing cover. So anyways another perk of building a big ghey truck land truck is you can remove the pan without any interference.
IMG_7695.jpeg

I refreshed the C6 pan while I was there. Turns out it had warped flanges from some monkey cranking on the bolts.
IMG_7696.jpeg

The steering rez mount was another procrastinated item. I get all hung up because I want to be creative like Morgan Clarke. So I end up with dimple die poo bracket.
IMG_7712.jpeg
IMG_7962.jpeg

Bracket was metal shaped 1 piece from the 2 cereal box templates complete with poo tig welds.
IMG_7963.jpeg
IMG_8319.jpeg

Made a quick and dirty steering wheel puller. This wheel looked like a dog chewed on it because it was stored upright on a floor and pushed around. It’s replaced with a more okayish stock wheel. But my parts/design adhd suddenly wanted a previous gen 3 spoke wheel. I’m still in the parts hoarding phase for that build.
IMG_8291.jpeg

The next update will be where my motivation began to match the momentum of the seasons leaving winter behind and getting off the porch crossing off so many neglected tasks to finish this build.

I had been sitting on a full cab gasket set. I put the race car and side project distractions aside and tackled the driver door rebuild. The old window guides were completely dried out and mostly missing. It was a pretty easy job and turned out nice. Not much to photograph. The windows are tight and roll freely. Plenty of YouTube vids on this. Gaskets are from graveyard and carpenter. Now I’ve got to tackle the passenger side.

Future plans are to build my own door cards inspired by Vivian
IMG_8228.jpeg
IMG_8229.jpeg
IMG_8230.jpeg
IMG_8231.jpeg
IMG_8253.jpeg
IMG_8254.jpeg
IMG_8256.jpeg

Sound deadener is something I’d like to try but since I’m not sure if I’ll keep these doors (or this truck) the thought process was get the thing on the road instead of living perpetually in my garage. I still haven’t made up my mind for carpet or vinyl floor.

Here’s present 🎁 day :beer: lol

R code servo arrived. Shift technologies, superior, Fairbanks……
IMG_9741.jpeg

Presently working on converting the Pertronix dizzy to vacuum advance. One body guy fell through and I have another to call about getting this cab repaired so glass can be installed and it can finally live outside.

Fun updates to come

The door was refreshed to operating condition in April. It was one of many item lines left on the list of procrastination.

I tackled the oil cooler plumbing for the steering and transmission next. Didn’t turn out half bad. Coolers are 80 somethin Econoline. The OEM Ford stacked plate coolers are a good value. They measure 7x11x1.5 which is a bit larger than the largest F series coolers I’ve used for steering on my crawler/ultra4.
IMG_8259.jpeg
IMG_8260.jpeg
IMG_8309.jpeg
IMG_8310.jpeg
IMG_8311.jpeg
IMG_8337.jpeg
IMG_8338.jpeg
IMG_8341.jpeg

Steering cooler utilizes 90* bulkheads to pass through the core support.
IMG_8344.jpeg

Top Back Refresh