What's new

1978 Dodge 300 automatic transmission.

Thumping

Member Number
We picked up a truck the other day to use to haul some logs (will be installing a flat bed). It has the 440 automatic transmission. I think its a 727 trans but I'm not 100% positive. Whats a tell tell indication that's what it is (I've never messed with a Dodge truck). It is a 3 speed.

Pic of truck.
Dodge 300.jpg

Should be. Aren't all big blocks 727? Look at the tranny pan, compare to google pics.
I believe you're correct. I'll print an image out of the pan just to be sure. Figured I'd change fluid and filter.

Was there any other automatics besides the 727 until the 518a in the dodge trucks?
I'm not sure. I think the 904's were with small blocks but I'm not 100% sure on that either. Dodge is a newish territory for me. I had a few but didn't keep them long.

I’m pretty sure the 904 and variants were never offered in trucks until the Dakota. I’ve owned quite a few of that generation Dodge, even the D100 /6 trucks had a 727.

The VIN should tell you...unless it was swapped (not likely).
VIN code itself doesn't indicate the transmission. I dunno if you can get dodge build info for a truck that old.

VIN code itself doesn't indicate the transmission. I dunno if you can get dodge build info for a truck that old.
That's what I ran into. It did code it was a 440 and dually. I'll look at the pan but I'm quite certain its a 727.

Powertrain is gone. Decal remains.

IMG_20230622_122136118_BURST003-01.jpeg
I'd expect one of the "mileage" packages to have 3.08 or 2.94 gears. The '86 short bed d100 I had was equipped with the 833 4sp OD trans and 2.94 gears. 318 truck. Had a 5th wheel plate in it when I got it with 218k miles:eek:. Factory clutch had about 1 sq.in. of material left, just enough to pull it into the shop under its own power:smokin:

I wonder when the 904 variants became available in the trucks? I know I've never seen a 70's truck that way or heard of it, but until now I'd never heard of and 80s truck with one either.

Unless it's been swapped to an OD trans, it's going to be a 727.

904s were never made in a big block pattern from the factory, though some racing big block housings do exist as the 904 tended to shift faster and more consistent than it's larger brother. 904 variants were used up into the 2000s, though they were usually names 42RE or something along those lines.

If you are pulling the bed, post it up for sale on RCC or similar. Someone will want it, especially if the dually fenders are in decent shape.

Unless it's been swapped to an OD trans, it's going to be a 727.

904s were never made in a big block pattern from the factory, though some racing big block housings do exist as the 904 tended to shift faster and more consistent than it's larger brother. 904 variants were used up into the 2000s, though they were usually names 42RE or something along those lines.

If you are pulling the bed, post it up for sale on RCC or similar. Someone will want it, especially if the dually fenders are in decent shape.
Nope...not selling the bed. If he decides to use something else, it'll all get repainted and put back together.

Ive got the dodge drw hubs, a dodge div 205n and a set of gm 19.5s w/tires already milled out to fit the dodge hubs.

Thank god i dodnt have a 2wd d300 or id have another fucking torn apart truck in the yard

Top Back Refresh