What's new

1956 Cessna 182

I was given a handful of these. I would like to order some more but unable to figure out what they are called. Does anyone recognize it? I’m coming up with nothing on Google.
No idea what ti's called but you might be able to do the same job with a scotchbrite flap wheel"

Screen Shot 2023-01-01 at 7.30.42 PM.png

There was a lot of light corrosion in the nooks and crannies underneath the front spar. I’m not sure I have a before picture but I was able to soda blast out all of the corrosion I had to whip up some various adapters for my blaster to make the angles work. Hopefully tomorrow I’ll be able to alodine all of this back. And start riveted in the spar.

8CF4CC7E-2256-41D7-8465-9B0E50492E81.jpeg

Also been doing quite a bit of scrubbing and cleaning in the belly.

595C324A-53B1-43B4-8742-4CC86ABB3010.jpeg

The yellow piece is a mounting bracket for the conventional gear. Below is a big hunk of 7075 which happens to be big enough to make two more from it.

EE3124C4-5B25-455A-A9E0-8ECB5D5D19F4.jpeg

This is what the inside of those pillars look like prior to cleaning.

BC0A875E-5F56-4E86-B4B0-104D35827B9F.jpeg

In other shop news. I found these cabinets out of a DNA lab at the surplus center. Very nice cabinets was able score of them for $30 a piece 45’ of cabinets for $400!

8C8ED94C-B145-4227-8002-4746DEA16AB7.jpeg

Great deal on those cabinets. Are you going to use a spray bottle and some alodine 1200 to chemically convert inside the pillars? That or some cheese cloth on a plastic rod? I really do enjoy this rebuild. Edit: Restore.

I treated the inside with a spray bottle and brush. But cheese cloth would have been a good idea. I coated the inside with LPS-3 and riveting the spar back on is in process. Turned out I couldn't do that myself too easily and will hopefully get the wife over there soon to help.

Belly area finally ready for some paint. I switch to a water-based primer that has pretty good reviews from Stewarts systems. The primer I’ve been using so far is tough as nails, but stinks out the whole shop for a couple days. I’ll probably tackle some paint next week.

242820A3-4DC4-4F95-81A8-C6CF4F05B11E.jpeg

Applied a solid 20 footer paint job in the belly. This new single stage primer is so much nicer to work with. Will have to do some durability testing on it. I intend to paint everything visible in the cabin, going forward with a gray primer which will be the final interior paint. It’s between the same product for an epoxy version of it, which might be a little bit more durable for traffic.

8ED31ADE-7304-4A8B-A0CC-29D027A7663E.jpeg

Looks good! Is that the Stewart’s primer? I’ve never used their stuff. Just had a cub covered and went with poly fiber since it’s so established. Seems like folks love or hate Stewart’s.

I usually mask cables and wiring bundles with foil. Cheap, easy to put on a off, and just the right amount of precision for the job.

Yes, it’s Stewart’s.

Those cables are getting replaced, but it seems I have to string them from the back, which really wasn’t in the mood for right now so :flipoff2:

Been quite busy prepping the fishing boat for the new season. Like most projects this one escalated. Removed the engine for corrosion cleaning and fresh paint. Replaced the torsional damper while at it. Thats all mostly done, boat needs a little work before it all goes back together and put back on the water. Sometimes I think I have too many projects.

7C44D1AA-A49E-472B-BC0A-EC7185517C6E.jpeg

Did get a quick flight in the 172 yesterday. I really need to fly more often.

1C90EB91-D723-4DE6-BF7E-0236D7BD8EC8.jpeg

30977BC2-379A-4102-BFDB-5695D355C5B8.jpeg

I dont know why pictures are now sideways.

Spent way too much time messing around with riveting in the front spar. There’s not a whole Lotta room in Spar to hold bucking bars properly. Results were not something to be proud of. My I/A suggested just putting screws in here. That would’ve been fine but it didn’t feel like the appropriate solution.

Spent some time trying to find solutions from other friends tooling, eventually found a squeezer in my dads junk and purchased the tooling to get it going.

This is definitely one of those tools that gets respect. I’m a little bit scared of it. :laughing: Doesn’t flinch at the 3/16 rivets.

With this out-of-the-way I’m looking forward to getting the roof on and some real progress again.

IMG_7006.jpeg

Spent way too much time messing around with riveting in the front spar. There’s not a whole Lotta room in Spar to hold bucking bars properly. Results were not something to be proud of. My I/A suggested just putting screws in here. That would’ve been fine but it didn’t feel like the appropriate solution.

Spent some time trying to find solutions from other friends tooling, eventually found a squeezer in my dads junk and purchased the tooling to get it going.

This is definitely one of those tools that gets respect. I’m a little bit scared of it. :laughing: Doesn’t flinch at the 3/16 rivets.

With this out-of-the-way I’m looking forward to getting the roof on and some real progress again.

IMG_7006.jpeg
I thought those were hucks, or hi-locs?

That would make a lot of sense, but that’s not what came out of this one, at least.

Slow going, A second house and baby has really cut down on the shop time.

I purchased a parts fuselage in Wisconsin. I wasnt going to be able to bring it all home, so i decided I needed to dive into the other obvious area of corrosion to make sure I brought back all of the parts I needed. Surprisingly I found no parts needing replacement in the area. This is where the ELT battery had leaked. I did find pitting under an interior panel though. Mineral spirits is making quick work of the tar under these panels. I am not sure its worth removing, but I am finding light corrosion underneath.

IMG_7362.jpeg

So, the parts in WI. I purchased the hulk shown plus gear legs for $750. I figured it was worthwhile even if I could only use the other parts for patterns. After doing all this, am not so sure it was worthwhile. :laughing: I flew standby to Chicago and rented a Camry. My plan was to drill off everything and do an epic stuff into a trunk. Luckily I was able to score a minivan complimentary upgrade, when would that normally be a good thing? From Chicago it was nearly 4 hours to Almond WI. Took 2.5 hours to break it all down and stuffed into the van. I left some there, but I didnt feel it was worth breaking down further. I am still missing some of the parts needed for the gear swap, but this gives that project a good boost.

IMG_7372.jpeg

IMG_7376.jpeg

IMG_7378.jpeg

I thought those were hucks, or hi-locs?

I inspected the 210 a few weeks back that had hiloks.

I haven’t been happy with the results of the rivet installation on the right hand side. Holes on that side were kind of rough.

I’m also not certain that I can ream the holes out for l oversize hilocks while still meeting the interference fit requirements.-8 hiloks would work great but that’s a big hole to escalate to. I would need to look closely at the SRM and decide if that was allowable or not as well.

I have not been able to find the AN1242(I think that’s what they’re called going off the top of my head) 1/32 oversize rivets in -6 and a long enough version.

I found some –7 rivets that I now have, and I’m in the process of making tooling to drive them. I haven’t been able to find sets for the pneumatic squeezers online.

My IA suggest just sticking some an3 bolts in there and calling it a day.

I think I’m gonna order a reamer for first oversize then double hilocks and see if that will clean them up enough to install those.

From what I remember in the logs, I think this original damage happened back in the 60s. The plane has been flying a very long time since then with the 3/16 rivets driven into those holes. But being that this is literally what holds the wings on and I intend to fly my family in it, I want it to be better.

I don't think I'd be shy about AN3's or structural screws AN525s, but if the holes are boogered, and you can get some good hardware, may as well. What about an oversize Cherry? How bad is the hole? The only oversize rivet I'm aware of is NAS1097, which only come in countersunk heads.

I don't think I'd be shy about AN3's or structural screws AN525s, but if the holes are boogered, and you can get some good hardware, may as well. What about an oversize Cherry? How bad is the hole? The only oversize rivet I'm aware of is NAS1097, which only come in countersunk heads.

NAS1242 is what they are. Looks like they are a 1/32 over not 1/64. Of course, I found these in stock this morning. :shaking: I measured the extreme of the oblong at .235"

NAS1242 is what they are. Looks like they are a 1/32 over not 1/64. Of course, I found these in stock this morning. :shaking: I measured the extreme of the oblong at .235"

That's pretty hogged out...

I had a 180 gear box that had a number of holes boogered like that. I ended up using 1/4" AN525 screws, a flat washer, and MS21042 nuts torqued to spec. Once it was painted it blended pretty well, and I had no reservations that it was as good or better than original.

Making meaningful progress has been a struggle due to life. But I give the airplane, some attention each day that I get to the shop no matter how small. I’ve been tripping over the tail cone that I picked up a few weeks back. I decided I better go ahead and take it apart so I at least have small pieces and know what I’m dealing with in the future.

Unfortunately, the skin is in bad enough shape that I think I’m better off replacing it. It was a good look at the abuse the airplane can take in the Taildragger configuration. I found the stabilizer fairing had worn the skin down more than halfway through its thickness on one side.

I also found some considerable old damage in there that’s kind of scary. I believe yjlopes sells a kit to add an inspection panel for this area. I think I’ve seen enough to know that I’m gonna want those just to put this back together. Luckily, the 182 doesn’t suffer nearly the same abuse in the area and all of these parts Look pretty good.

I did notice the 182 is completely assembled with cherries here. That’s gonna be a lot of fun to take apart.

IMG_7595.jpeg
IMG_7596.jpeg

OOOF that is pretty rough. Here is the kit for inspecting the jackscrew area on 180s and 185s. This kit can fit the 182 with a little help. I don't have any legal way to do it, but I can help you get it installed in such a way that no one would ever ask. Look up Cessna SK185-27 for more info.

1697256252687.jpeg

Seemingly the Cessna tailcones take some abuse. I had a 150 that needed the stabilizers to be taken off to repair a cracked doubler back there. That was a fun first annual.

Been working hard at this thing, on reflection, there’s almost no meaningful update though. :laughing:

I had zero appreciation for how much raw scrubbing would be involved in this project. 70 years of whatever gunk this is, might as well be concrete.

I spent two afternoons working on my hot water pressure washer, which decided to go belly up only to find it wouldn’t touch the stuff. :homer:

Anyways, the tail end is finally pretty clean. I think I’m gonna strip the paint from the outside and give it one final rinse before painting the inside.

I still have to repeat the same process to most of the small parts to put together everything in the tail. Luckily those can fit in the parts washer.

IMG_7755.jpeg

Been working hard at this thing, on reflection, there’s almost no meaningful update though. :laughing:

I had zero appreciation for how much raw scrubbing would be involved in this project. 70 years of whatever gunk this is, might as well be concrete.

I spent two afternoons working on my hot water pressure washer, which decided to go belly up only to find it wouldn’t touch the stuff. :homer:

Anyways, the tail end is finally pretty clean. I think I’m gonna strip the paint from the outside and give it one final rinse before painting the inside.

I still have to repeat the same process to most of the small parts to put together everything in the tail. Luckily those can fit in the parts washer.

IMG_7755.jpeg
A bit late now, but avgas works pretty well on removing the waxy old school cpcs (also works well on AV8)

IMG_7755.jpeg
MEK works well also, but causes me hallucinations after awhile…

Nice work. I totally understand the idea of a ton or work that doesn't seem to lead to much tangible progress. Keep moving forward!

How did your hockey sticks look? FWIW, your bird originally had 1/8" countersunk rivets under the stab fairing holding them to the skin. On the 77 model year of the 180/185 they got upsized to 5/32". I think Cessna saw the hockey stick problems way before it became ad AD. Any time I have an early model apart back there I upsize them.

A bit late now, but avgas works pretty well on removing the waxy old school cpcs (also works well on AV8)

I might’ve discovered the 5606 works pretty well. The last bit of sludge remaining I painted with 5606 and left it a few days. It came right up them. But this is not the tar crap Cessna applied, its what ever accumulated back there.

I did get 110 gallons of MEK from my old job the other day....

Nice work. I totally understand the idea of a ton or work that doesn't seem to lead to much tangible progress. Keep moving forward!

How did your hockey sticks look? FWIW, your bird originally had 1/8" countersunk rivets under the stab fairing holding them to the skin. On the 77 model year of the 180/185 they got upsized to 5/32". I think Cessna saw the hockey stick problems way before it became ad AD. Any time I have an early model apart back there I upsize them.

Surprisingly, my donor 180 parts are in better shape than the 182 parts. I think I mentioned this, but the 182 was all cherries back there. Some one had it apart, but I do not recall seeing anything about it in the logs. The only damage to the hockey sticks is a couple historic mis-drills I found. :shaking: Unfortunately, I think I decided the best path forward is mostly using the 182 stuff. Whoever disassembled the 180 probably did not envision someone trying to use that stuff again.

Some areas I noticed yesterday had already been upsized compared to the 180. Thats good to know on the rivet sizes. They do stay 1/8 on the top piece in that area right?

Yesterday I got everything cleaned up and painted, I do not plan to re-use that skin at this time. Its got a few dents and has some pretty good wear from the stab trim.

C762AB61-C126-44FE-B79A-7A1E95772266.jpeg

Top Back Refresh