What's new

08 f250 bad injector?

Those 6.4's are a shit show, don't waste your time/money unless you KNOW it only needs an injector. Injectors are pretty easy to do if you can turn a wrench but I wouldn't buy one of those trucks to keep. They have most of the 6.0 problems with the addition of a weak fuel system and they regen the DPF by pouring fuel through the engine, which dilutes the oil and causes cam/lifter failure if it's not maintained well.

Thanks. Ive read the 6.4s are not that great. The truck is cheap enough that when the engine craps I would try and get a 12 valve into it. I dont intend or dumping money i to a 6.4, but if an injector will keep me going for a year, Id take the gamble.

Any idea how i can confirm thats what it actually needs? code reader?

Thanks. Ive read the 6.4s are not that great. The truck is cheap enough that when the engine craps I would try and get a 12 valve into it. I dont intend or dumping money i to a 6.4, but if an injector will keep me going for a year, Id take the gamble.

Any idea how i can confirm thats what it actually needs? code reader?

If it's electrically bad yeah it will set codes. If it's missing and not popping out the intake or exhaust, and it cranks evenly (No obvious low compression limp) then injector is most likely the issue. They can also leak into the crankcase, pretty easy to check since the oil will be way over full provided they haven't just changed it.

I've worked on diesel trucks for a living. The 6.4 is the one I tell everybody to stay away from.
I have to in my shop right now, pretty much everything that goes wrong is exponentially more expensive to fix. One truck needs up pipes, the cab needs to come off and it'll need new body mounts, probably $3500 worth of work. The other one needs a fuel system $$$$.

I've worked on diesel trucks for a living. The 6.4 is the one I tell everybody to stay away from.
I have to in my shop right now, pretty much everything that goes wrong is exponentially more expensive to fix. One truck needs up pipes, the cab needs to come off and it'll need new body mounts, probably $3500 worth of work. The other one needs a fuel system $$$$.

thanks!

Top Back Refresh