What's new

'05 TJ needs A/C added

Runningquarters

Member Number
Loc
Palmer tx
Found a clean 05 TJ I've known the original owner for 15 years. One owner jeep, but he bought it without A/C. This is going to be the youngest daughters vehicle and in Texas that is not going to work. Is having A/C put in this thing going to be a deal killer? If not any suggestions on how I go about getting it done?
I've got a torn rotator cuff so me wrenching on it isn't a viable option. Can I get it done right for less than a couple grand?

I added a/c to my 98 but I did it by swapping a 05 LJ tub on it.

I’d think your best bet would be to find a wrecked TJ with a/c to get all the parts off of. The dash will have to come out to swap the heater box.

I know the later model stuff has the compressor on the driver side of the engine but I don’t know if they’ve got the bracket there already. The 98 was as simple as bolting the compressor on and changing the belt. All the wiring and plugs were in my harness so all I had to was make the 05 dash controls work with the older harness.

^ this. Or junkyard for the majority parts but I'd get new condenser, evaporator, and dryer.
This for sure if you go this route. I get to pull my dash back out because I bought all new parts except for the evaporator. It’s got a hole in it…

I added A/C to my 2003 TJ ordered new parts from RockAuto. Added wiring for the compressor and switches.
The OEM underdash box has previsions for the condenser. Definitely worth it.

Thanks guys. I've know Frankie for years and saw the Jeep in the garage but never on the road. He only used in the winter to read water meters out in the country. His nephew is one of my good friends and he told me the other night that Frankie was thinking of getting rid of the Jeep because he was done working for the Water district. He'd not a car guy and said it was a 4 something. I assumed 4.0 nope 4 cylinder. It has to be the cleanest 05 TJ I'll ever see, Clean inside, outside , under the hood. Unmolestered looks like she did when she left the showroom. $8500 and I would have taken her home if it was the 4.0. But for the kid to drive on the interstate and tollway at 85mph I just couldn't pull the trigger on the little 4 banger.
On with the search for the kid a vehicle.

Thanks Rusty!! I have been telling myself no matter how clean and nice it is it's just not practical for her. But damn I wanted it.

As the owner of a 2.5l, automatic, with A/C, TJ, you made the right decision. Only positive, kid wouldn't ever get a speeding ticket. Clean or not, $8.5K seems kind of steep for a 4 banger TJ.

Top Back Refresh