What's new

Tool Test Tuesday

I've been using the DCB1112 12amp fast charger for a bit over three years now. Like the 8amp one you show, it has a fan. I should plug it into a power meter. It will charge my 60V 6AH battery in about an hour.

Yea, I have basically never used my 118...I hate the noise of the fan and I have dozens of batteries, so I rarely need to be charging a battery quickly to keep going.

I bought this double charger back in mid 2019. It works great for all of my batteries, but I still use the yellow fast charger for my big flex volt battery. Would take too long to charge otherwise.

Lasica Replacement for De-Walt 20V Battery Dual Fast Charger DCB102BP Compatible with De-Walt 20 Volt Max XR Battery DCB206 DCB200 DCB204 DCB3244 DCB201 DCB203 DCBP034 60V Max DCB606 DCB609 Battery Amazon.com

Actually, I use the fan noise to know when it is done. In the shop, that's the least of the noises to be worried about.

I don't like that fan whine over the background music (I usually don't crank things up too loud) and depends what I'm puttering with, a fab day with grinders and earplugs in, ya whatev...but if I'm just doing a brake job or fixing something on the bench, I'd rather it be peaceful.

And here's the other one I did...sixteen different twisting tools all head to head lol

when can we expect to see vids about Milwaukee gear?

Soon I hope...I'm getting close to making enough on the videos that I could afford to buy into another tool brand, Dewalt is easy because I already have their batteries, but buying into Milwaukee is going to cost a bit more.

I've also got a friend who has a fair bit of Milwaukee stuff that would let me borrow, but it's not the current gen stuff, so less fair comparison, but would that be interesting?

One thing that has always confused me is that you get the high beam first and then the low beam. So once you've blinded yourself, you can then dim things down but are still seeing spots. It seems like most such lights work that way. Personally, I kind of want some light and then more light if that wasn't enough. I guess people are generally impatient and want ALL the light as soon as possible.

I've got the DeWalt DCL043 Type 1 spotlight. It goes from high beam to low beam to red light. So after you've totally destroyed your night vision and let everyone in the county know where you are, it finally gets down to the red beam. I see the new version of that one seems to have eliminated the red light - probably because with the trigger setup it is totally worthless. I keep meaning to take it apart to see if I can figure out a three way switch for function and then the trigger for on/off.

One thing that has always confused me is that you get the high beam first and then the low beam. So once you've blinded yourself, you can then dim things down but are still seeing spots. It seems like most such lights work that way. Personally, I kind of want some light and then more light if that wasn't enough. I guess people are generally impatient and want ALL the light as soon as possible.

I've got the DeWalt DCL043 Type 1 spotlight. It goes from high beam to low beam to red light. So after you've totally destroyed your night vision and let everyone in the county know where you are, it finally gets down to the red beam. I see the new version of that one seems to have eliminated the red light - probably because with the trigger setup it is totally worthless. I keep meaning to take it apart to see if I can figure out a three way switch for function and then the trigger for on/off.

On the flip side, when turning off you'd have to go high before completely dark if it did it the opposite way...also killing your night vision. As a regular work light like I usually use it (aka I need a smidge more light to see in this dim corner or to take a closer look at something under a vehicle) it's fine....but if you're out camping or something then ya, would be nice if it had the slide switch on the base like their impacts/drills and you just set the level and then it's a simple toggle on/off with the trigger.

Honestly, it had been awhile since I last used it so I had to go and check. This one only has high and red beams - no low beam. Also, as you say, if you use the high beam it then goes to red before going off.

I have a couple other lights that if you use a setting for awhile it then turns off the next time you hit the switch - instead of cycling. You have to cycle in the first few moments.

Particularly with the red light, a switch between the two would seem to make more sense than cycling.

Haven't been doing a lot of vids lately, busy with other things, but got my hands on the new 60v blower finally for the summer:

Picked up some Knipex Raptor pliers finally, so had the complete line up of Cobras, Raptors, Alligators, and Pliers Wrench (aka Hawks lol that's my new name for them) to compare:

Top Back Refresh