What's new

Tool Test Tuesday

SomeGuy

Awesome, Busted.
Member Number
Loc
Canada
Starting tomorrow, doing tool test tuesdays.

First two go up tomorrow, Knipex Pliers Wrench and Mechanix Fast Fit Gloves. Will be posting weekly, have some Dewalt, Gearwrench, Aircat and a few other odds and ends already lined up for the weekly reviews.

So ya, sub and bitch at me if I suck at this :)

LMAO did my comment on your workbench video get deleted because I said a naughty word? It was only shit:lmao:

Though it is very possible that I wrote it out and never sent it:homer:

LMAO did my comment on your workbench video get deleted because I said a naughty word? It was only shit:lmao:

Though it is very possible that I wrote it out and never sent it:homer:

I never saw it come through and it's not in my held for review area. I also have "Allow all comments" on...so should be able to have at it.

Might not be Tool Test Tuesday, but had the dry cut saw out today and tried some bigger 1.5" solid aluminum bar through it...works great. Basically guys, anyone cutting tube for cages needs one of these, better than a bandsaw or abrasive chop saw or anything else (short of maybe a cold cut saw):

Might not be Tool Test Tuesday, but had the dry cut saw out today and tried some bigger 1.5" solid aluminum bar through it...works great. Basically guys, anyone cutting tube for cages needs one of these, better than a bandsaw or abrasive chop saw or anything else (short of maybe a cold cut saw):

Did I miss you cutting tube with it?

Did I miss you cutting tube with it?

No, wasn't cutting any tube that day in the garage so I didn't take any video. It works mint on tube, even faster than the solid aluminum bar (since uh tube isn't solid lol).

No, wasn't cutting any tube that day in the garage so I didn't take any video. It works mint on tube, even faster than the solid aluminum bar (since uh tube isn't solid lol).
One thing I like about an abrasive saw is you can hold a tube at sketchy angle(maybe angle in the middle of a bend or something) and it won’t rip out of your hands and break off carbide teeth in the process. I’ve used some of those carbide blade saws and they are definitely nice

One thing I like about an abrasive saw is you can hold a tube at sketchy angle(maybe angle in the middle of a bend or something) and it won’t rip out of your hands and break off carbide teeth in the process. I’ve used some of those carbide blade saws and they are definitely nice
These saws you definitely have to clamp things down solid and make sure it doesn't grab anywhere. I still have an old used Ryobi abrasive chop saw I bought for $20 over a decade ago if I need to cut dirty/hardened/oddball shit.

Those dry cut saws have their place, but I still think a good swivel head bandsaw beats the shit out of them in every aspect.. Better clamping vise, no hot flying chips, lower noise, cheaper blades, almost as fast...

And they have the same limitations of not being a good choice for hard shit. That's where the abrasive saw and or cutoff wheels on the grinder come into play.

Those dry cut saws have their place, but I still think a good swivel head bandsaw beats the shit out of them in every aspect.. Better clamping vise, no hot flying chips, lower noise, cheaper blades, almost as fast...

And they have the same limitations of not being a good choice for hard shit. That's where the abrasive saw and or cutoff wheels on the grinder come into play.

At 5 to 10x the price to get the same cut capacity.....but yes, better in every way other than price!

I have the original evolution 10" beveling/miter dry cut as well as the regular 14" (or is it 12"?) straight cut ones. They're built cheap, but I've run quite a bit of stock through them. I regularly reach for the portaband though if I can live with a somewhat crooked, somewhat straight cut. The dry cut saws are so fuckin' loud and the chips burn like hell when you're doing heavy cuts in steel!

I really want a good swivel head band saw, but if I'm spending them money I want something that'll do 7"+ round stock, which really raises the price. You can get an import grizzly that'll do 5" for under a grand. The next size up that does 7" is over $2500.

At 5 to 10x the price to get the same cut capacity.....but yes, better in every way other than price!

I have the original evolution 10" beveling/miter dry cut as well as the regular 14" (or is it 12"?) straight cut ones. They're built cheap, but I've run quite a bit of stock through them. I regularly reach for the portaband though if I can live with a somewhat crooked, somewhat straight cut. The dry cut saws are so fuckin' loud and the chips burn like hell when you're doing heavy cuts in steel!

I really want a good swivel head band saw, but if I'm spending them money I want something that'll do 7"+ round stock, which really raises the price. You can get an import grizzly that'll do 5" for under a grand. The next size up that does 7" is over $2500.

This (price) and floor space. I can throw the dry cut on a shelf out of the way, the bandsaw weighs several hundred/thousand pounds and is always eating up a bunch of square footage that I don't have.

Is a decent little thing, especially like how quiet it is but it's not that gutsy. Also, not often I'm grabbing an air ratchet anymore, so that hurt its score a bit too in the usefulness category.

It's Tool Test Tuesday again. A number of years ago I picked up a pile of the Gearwrench 84t ratchets in pretty much all their configurations with comfort grip (I just don't have the offset one). They've been my go to since then, especially the 3/8" flex head long handle, easily my fave.

Another Tuesday, another test:

Surprisingly good value these things.

FFS did this ever go off the rails, I just went with it instead...

It's Tool Test Tuesday again :)

Meh, I have one and it kinda sucks. The torque numbers are very optimistic. I run into plenty of situations where this doesn't have the balls but I grab a 25 year old ingersoll 3/8 pneumatic...that was advertised when I bought it with 200 or so ft.lbs, and it takes bolts right out.

Meh, I have one and it kinda sucks. The torque numbers are very optimistic. I run into plenty of situations where this doesn't have the balls but I grab a 25 year old ingersoll 3/8 pneumatic...that was advertised when I bought it with 200 or so ft.lbs, and it takes bolts right out.

Same one? Torque Test Channel said these put down basically their rated numbers. The older Dewalt 3/8" impact I have too and it's not nearly the tool the new atomic ones are. Though my 3/8" IR2115QTiMax is certainly a bit more juicy.

Same one? Torque Test Channel said these put down basically their rated numbers. The older Dewalt 3/8" impact I have too and it's not nearly the tool the new atomic ones are. Though my 3/8" IR2115QTiMax is certainly a bit more juicy.
yes, new atomic. I have the first rendition of the IR composite gun (actually purchased of the MAC truck...so it's red, not grey) that hasn't been oiled in 20 years and still runs circles around the Dewalt. I r not impressed. It's slightly better than my 1/4" driver with a 3/8" adapter in it, but not by much.

yes, new atomic. I have the first rendition of the IR composite gun (actually purchased of the MAC truck...so it's red, not grey) that hasn't been oiled in 20 years and still runs circles around the Dewalt. I r not impressed. It's slightly better than my 1/4" driver with a 3/8" adapter in it, but not by much.

That's strange, as I find the DCF923 to be pretty darn potent for a compact cordless. What batteries? Sockets in good shape and no extensions (extensions REALLY sap the torque out of cordless impacts I find)? On mode 2 right? lol

That's strange, as I find the DCF923 to be pretty darn potent for a compact cordless. What batteries? Sockets in good shape and no extensions (extensions REALLY sap the torque out of cordless impacts I find)? On mode 2 right? lol
Snappy impact sockets, no extension. Usually 5 or 6 AH batteries. On mode 2.

Another fun problem...occasionally the fucking thing doesn't work. Gotta pull the battery, cycle through all the different modes, pull the battery again...after a point it works again. I don't know why tools need to be controlled by fucking computers.

I use this thing as my primary tool to tear down brake calipers (I'm a rebuilder)...It has trouble breaking loose M9 nuts from bolts that have some rust on 'em.

And no, I won't consider Milwaukee because fuck TTI and Emerson Electric after a fiasco with Ridgid and their shitty batteries.

Snappy impact sockets, no extension. Usually 5 or 6 AH batteries. On mode 2.

Another fun problem...occasionally the fucking thing doesn't work. Gotta pull the battery, cycle through all the different modes, pull the battery again...after a point it works again. I don't know why tools need to be controlled by fucking computers.

I use this thing as my primary tool to tear down brake calipers (I'm a rebuilder)...It has trouble breaking loose M9 nuts from bolts that have some rust on 'em.

And no, I won't consider Milwaukee because fuck TTI and Emerson Electric after a fiasco with Ridgid and their shitty batteries.

Maybe you got a bad one? I honestly can't say I've had any of those issues with mine whatsoever and it'll bust loose those 17mm (M12 I think is the thread?) caliper bracket bolts on Toyota's after a year in the salt/slush of Canada.

Interesting none the less.

It's Tuesday again, so time for some tool testing:

Damaged bolt removers that actually do work decently :)

Something a little different for Tool Test Tuesday this week, I did a comparison of a bunch of different kinds of needle nose pliers:

Just barely still Tuesday, but we have a Tool Test none the less:

This kinda counts...

Even though it's not Tuesday, Honda mowers just kick ass.

I need to get around to doing my Tool Test Tuesday on different size grinders and such.

Also, would anyone find a video on trying to improperly weld aluminum interesting? I've got the typical MIG setup with C25 and regular mild steel welding wire...I've wanted to see what actually happens trying to put together alum + steel or alum + alum with that setup lol and maybe I'll see if I can get the thing to feed alum mig wire without a spool gun? thoughts?

Going to try to do the grinder filming tomorrow...and maybe the welding too.

In the meantime, some tools viewed via thermal camera:

Top Back Refresh