What's new

"Tiny" - A Semi Project

Wouldn't it be the crossmember that was welded to not the frame? Or do they consider the frame rails and crossmembers to be the "frame"? To me the crossmember is riveted to frame and he welded to it so might be in the clear?

Wouldn't it be the crossmember that was welded to not the frame? Or do they consider the frame rails and crossmembers to be the "frame"? To me the crossmember is riveted to frame and he welded to it so might be in the clear?
It's welded straight to the top of the frame, not the cross member.

Tiny is getting loaded to the brim, leave tomorrow early to go racing! This will be an awesome trip, going to sleep in it for the first time, bought a projector to setup a movie on the back of the cab, and throwing some other cool toys on it to play with. Short trip but will be packed with fun!

PXL_20240425_214404704.jpg

This will be an awesome trip, going to sleep in it for the first time, bought a projector to setup a movie on the back of the cab, and throwing some other cool toys on it to play with. Short trip but will be packed with fun!
I love traveling in mine. Even enjoy camping out of it. Maybe not as comfortable as the toy hauler, but having the bunk, fridge, tv, etc in the cab with you, plus being able pull over anywhere to crash for the night along the way...
We used to take a projector with us and play wheeling video's on the side of the trailer. Was always a hit at camp.
Have a good trip.

The shop I work at does truck/trailer repairs and State/Federal inspections.

Some states are worse than others with those regs.

And just like states with "regular" vehicle inspections, you can find a range of "scrutiny" for inspection stations. It probably is a little less variation from station to station just because a 4000# car crashing into things typically warrants less investigative attention to who inspected it last than an 80,000# tractor trailer crashing into things...

Or do they consider the frame rails and crossmembers to be the "frame"?

If you read the text, they tend to use "frame" and "chassis" interchangeably - using one then both then the other. The frame rails themselves are the most significant part, though. Worst case for a crossmember is you have to drill the rivets out and replace it if you fawk it up too terribly. Replacing a frame rail is a bit more involved, but it is certainly possible to repair or replace. I've seen inspections failed for things welded to a chassis without the proper documentation.

It's welded straight to the top of the frame, not the cross member.

Tiny is getting loaded to the brim, leave tomorrow early to go racing! This will be an awesome trip, going to sleep in it for the first time, bought a projector to setup a movie on the back of the cab, and throwing some other cool toys on it to play with. Short trip but will be packed with fun!

PXL_20240425_214404704.jpg
Looking good and have fun!

Ah ok sorry my dumbass thought all the frame welding talk was about the hitch not the winch. I was thinking how did you weld the hitch to the top of the frame so I re-read the previous comments.
On the shift pattern thing the most confusing one for me was I had two squarebodies at one time before and while one had the normal SM465\205 combo in it the other had a swapped in SM420\221 setup and I constantly went for reverse in the 465 pattern. I also DD'd a subaru loyale at the time so three different patterns but the trucks were only ones I ever mixed up really.

Ah ok sorry my dumbass thought all the frame welding talk was about the hitch not the winch. I was thinking how did you weld the hitch to the top of the frame so I re-read the previous comments.
On the shift pattern thing the most confusing one for me was I had two squarebodies at one time before and while one had the normal SM465\205 combo in it the other had a swapped in SM420\221 setup and I constantly went for reverse in the 465 pattern. I also DD'd a subaru loyale at the time so three different patterns but the trucks were only ones I ever mixed up really.
Well you're on the money too, the winch plate isn't the first thing to get welded either. I already welded angle iron all along the rear frame section so the flat bed could bolt down, and I hadn't even thought of the hitch (though is on a cross member as you said).

I'm just ignoring all the welding talk (reading but have nothing of value to add), if I fucked up some rule then it is what it is and I have a year to use the semi. I doubt it will be an issue, but that's spoken from a position of ignorance for trucks too.

It's funny you mention shift pattern, for the most part I've remembered it well but the other day I got all sorts of fucked up forgetting where 3rd was (what I start in) and then forgetting which direction 5th was. I don't even know what gear I ended up in after I got into neutral but I kept it moving!

Well you're on the money too, the winch plate isn't the first thing to get welded either. I already welded angle iron all along the rear frame section so the flat bed could bolt down, and I hadn't even thought of the hitch (though is on a cross member as you said).

I'm just ignoring all the welding talk (reading but have nothing of value to add), if I fucked up some rule then it is what it is and I have a year to use the semi. I doubt it will be an issue, but that's spoken from a position of ignorance for trucks too.

It's funny you mention shift pattern, for the most part I've remembered it well but the other day I got all sorts of fucked up forgetting where 3rd was (what I start in) and then forgetting which direction 5th was. I don't even know what gear I ended up in after I got into neutral but I kept it moving!

You won't have any issues with inspection.

Grind it till you find it :flipoff2:

I'm pretty good at going braindead in Chicago from time to time and find high range (9th/10th) instead of low (4th/5th) after flipping back and forth for an hour in 5-10mph rush hour traffic.

You won't have any issues with inspection.

Grind it till you find it :flipoff2:

I'm pretty good at going braindead in Chicago from time to time and find high range (9th/10th) instead of low (4th/5th) after flipping back and forth for an hour in 5-10mph rush hour traffic.
Ain't that the truth. Yesterday driving through Vernal and the wife is like you've gotten really good at shifting, no issues today! And that totally threw me for a loop and the next stop light I tried every fucking gear before realizing I was in high range :grinpimp:

Made it to the race course, had probably 3 hours of rain we drove through including some snow at a pass we crossed. Last time I checked we were at 9.2mpg with cruise set at 75 until we got off the interstate.

PXL_20240426_171855400.jpg

PXL_20240426_220215790.jpg

No pictures, but got home, bit of rain on the way back but nothing crazy. I got exactly 10.0mpg round trip, which absolutely blows my mind. And right now diesel here is $3.46/gal, 20c cheaper than 85 octane and 60c cheaper than 91 octane. I was telling someone I didn't need the semi to get good gas mileage, just be in the ball park of what my Tundra got so at least it was the same price to drive (excluding maintenance), but if you equivalate the price of diesel to premium right now the semi is closer to like 12mpg for the Tundra which it's lucky to get unloaded.

As stated before, time will tell how it plays out, but I honestly couldn't be happier with it. It's actually really comfortable and easy to drive (excluding the learning curve of shifting). The biggest thing I would want to change is a quieter interior since at interstate speeds its decently loud, though still quieter than probably half my vehicles. This road trip was a ton of fun, and had a lot of challenges thrown in between the weather, going over the first mountain passes where I actually had to downshift out of 10th, and the most traffic lights and start stops I've done yet going through towns. On the drive home I didn't have any hiccups with shifting, and the thing runs and drives like an absolute champ. It really feels like a big toy that I look forward to driving and modifying and playing with, which really changes the dynamic compared to the Tundra which was always a question of optimizing weight and what should be brought and planning gas stops. Hell I used maybe a 1/4 tank this whole trip driving across the state and back!

It's also cool learning new things. I always gave semis a lot of room and passed them quickly and would flash lights for them to merge and stuff, but it's cool to learn the nuances from now driving one. It's also funny since I look at other trucks and see how they're configured with the cabs and stuff, which before I didn't think about more than if I saw a particularly huge sleeper or cool trailer.

Anyway, I had to make a post since the fuel mileage while hauling a buggy and all the gear on the back is just wild. I thought getting 9mpg was maybe a fluke, and the fact it can get quite a bit better without doing anything special is just icing on the cake!

Next big trip is in a couple weeks going down to our relatives in Arizona we visited on the first trip. Not sure yet what configuration we'll do for Tiny, maybe put the camper on the bed again and then tow either the buggy or can-am. I think I'll replace the shocks, fix some leaky air lines, and probably need to figure out some trailer plug setup.

Maybe a spring roller for the winch drum, I always wanted one of those on my trailer winch:emb:

I was telling someone I didn't need the semi to get good gas mileage, just be in the ball park of what my Tundra got so at least it was the same price to drive (excluding maintenance), but if you equivalate the price of diesel to premium right now the semi is closer to like 12mpg for the Tundra which it's lucky to get unloaded.
I was the same way with my Dodge. I was getting around 7-8 with the Cummins and 2 rigs on my gooseneck. Once I moved to the big truck, my mileage stayed the same, but now the truck doesn't even know the trailer is there, and I take my hotel with me.

As stated before, time will tell how it plays out, but I honestly couldn't be happier with it. It's actually really comfortable and easy to drive (excluding the learning curve of shifting). The biggest thing I would want to change is a quieter interior since at interstate speeds its decently loud, though still quieter than probably half my vehicles.
If I can somehow justify it in my head, I would rather take the semi on a road trip than my pick-up. But the newer ones are definately quieter. I can't really bitch too much about how loud it is, if my pick-up had 1.1 mil miles on it, it would probably rattle and squeek too. I have considered pulling the interior and adding some sound deadening to it, especially under the dash. When that Detroit is working, you can't hardly hear yourself think.
planning gas stops. Hell I used maybe a 1/4 tank this whole trip driving across the state and back!
Used to plan bathroom breaks around fuel stops. Now we have to plan rest stops just to get out and walk around. I do like being able to drive the entire trip on a single (maybe 2) fill ups, but I hate having to re-finance the house to afford to fill it back up.

Non roller version

1714595482345.png

Non roller version

Also called a "level wind" or "level winder" for anyone who cares. I wish someone made double cut screw ones like you see on big marine shit in automotive sizes. For the dumb side pulls people who are winching recreationally tend to need to do they'd be tits.

Took Tiny for a quick 1200 mile spin and picked up a camper from my folks since they're upgrading to a larger cab over.

PXL_20240510_234715656.jpg

Drove to my parents place on the eastern slope of Colorado, and then flew out for business from DIA for a couple days, came back and loaded the truck up and then my dad rode with me back to Utah. Tiny actually got 11.3mpg going to Colorado which is nuts. Though got 9.3mpg round trip once we got home.

This camper has a larger bed and a bathroom. We'll leave it on for now since next week we are going to Arizona to visit some relatives. That trip we'll have the Can Am on the trailer behind us too.

Tiny had no issues this trip, I didn't expect it to become my most driven vehicle but here we are doing trip after trip hahaha

U should single the rear. Ride quality, steering and fuel milage will all be better. U will also have an extra set of drive tires. I cant imagine i will need more then 20k lbs of rear axle capaciry.

Took Tiny out for memorial day, back to the relatives in Arizona and effectively the same loop. Las Vegas to Laughlin, then came home through Flagstaff and up into Utah. This was the first time towing with Tiny so that was exciting! Also rocking the new (to me) cab over which has a bathroom.

1716997847446.png

My parents followed us too. I think all of our stops were dictated by them hahaha

1716997870707.png

The Squad absolutely loves Tiny. They get an entire bed to pass out on for the whole trip and then get to wake up in a new and exciting place!

1716997968486.png

On the way home we stayed outside of Flagstaff for the night. We drove down this washboard road for 8 miles trying to get to a lake before saying fuck this, and finding a creek and camping next to it.

1716997989266.png

I did a few minor upgrades for the trip. The first being I got some headlight cleaner that Project Farm recommended and it visually made a huge difference on the headlights and fog lights (before you couldn't even see the foglight bulbs at all). I also made a big 5 way adapter that plugged into the stock brake light harness, and pulled power out for the trailer, as well as some running light strips I installed under the bed.

1716998258169.png

I had bought some big LED lights originally but they stick out a lot and I didn't want lighting on the side of the flat bed since I was worried it'd get destroyed considering every light on the trailer has been broken at least once. So I got the LED strips that people put under their tail gate and mounted it to the bottom side of the flat bed. They're mainly so at night people will see the side of the truck, since there's no side running lights. I accidentally bought twice the amount of light strips I wanted, so I might install the other one above the gas tank so below the door area is illuminated too. I don't trust the retards on the road to be near me at night and not notice there's a huge truck and merge into me :laughing: On an unrelated note I also swapped out the cabin air filter and that about quadrupled the air flow into the cab.

Otherwise no updates to Tiny, it ran like an absolute champ. I realized the fuel gauge is way off, though the estimated range and fuel flow metrics are correct. At one point the physical gauge read 1/3 of a tank left, when in reality I had burned about 1/3 of a tank. This trip we burned a bit over 100 gallons, got 7.4mpg I want to say? The worst yet, though more inline with what I'd expect. The camper seems to make a massive difference to fuel efficiency. I think I'll make a plate to try and smooth out the roof between the cab and camper. Totally empty to Colorado got 11+ mpg, with just the buggy on the back gets 10mpg, and any time a camper is on which weighs considerably less than the buggy and mpg drops below 10. I doubt the trailer made any considerable difference, but the roof line having an additional 2ft of brick up top I think is the main culprit, and this camper is taller than the previous one.

But I'm not complaining, my Tundra I wouldn't even attempt hauling/towing this much, and it would've cost easily double in gas compared to what Tiny burned. I actually used the Tundra the other day to tow the buggy since I didn't want to unload the camper, and my God, now that I'm used to Tiny it's insane how unstable a normal truck towing feels :lmao: Which obviously you'd expect a semi to be better, but it's wild how much more comfortable the driving experience is, the only thing that's worse is how loud the semi is. But I'm just reiterating the same stuff from other posts now...

Next trip is in a couple weeks to Grand Junction. I'll be taking the camper and the buggy to go racing.

Glad to read a “Tiny” update!

Amazing what additional wind drag from camper will do to MPG. Any issues with the camper facing backwards?

Glad to read a “Tiny” update!

Amazing what additional wind drag from camper will do to MPG. Any issues with the camper facing backwards?
I made a wind deflector for the fan shroud, otherwise doesn't seem to make a difference. My dad and I talked about flipping the camper around, you would need to lift it about 18" to get the overhang to clear the cab roof and run it forwards, but you don't really gain much from that. The camper would have to sit taller, you can't use the built in steps at the front of the deck, and you'd step out and then have the dovetail right there. It looks retarded backwards but it's actually pretty convenient, and aesthetics is all you really get flipping it around.

With that said, I have been thinking about building a camper box that would match the deck and then get full usage of the space. I could take the previous camper and gut it and use the parts to build a new one. That'd be a lot of work, but fun to think about. Course at that point you're just building an extended sleeper semi/toter essentially---but the idea does have merit just since it keeps the relatively small planform of Tiny and using it as a flatbed hauler which a big sleeper or toter wouldn't be practical for. I don't know, just throwing ideas around!

Took Tiny out for memorial day, back to the relatives in Arizona and effectively the same loop. Las Vegas to Laughlin, then came home through Flagstaff and up into Utah. This was the first time towing with Tiny so that was exciting! Also rocking the new (to me) cab over which has a bathroom.

1716997847446.png

My parents followed us too. I think all of our stops were dictated by them hahaha

1716997870707.png

The Squad absolutely loves Tiny. They get an entire bed to pass out on for the whole trip and then get to wake up in a new and exciting place!

1716997968486.png

On the way home we stayed outside of Flagstaff for the night. We drove down this washboard road for 8 miles trying to get to a lake before saying fuck this, and finding a creek and camping next to it.

1716997989266.png

I did a few minor upgrades for the trip. The first being I got some headlight cleaner that Project Farm recommended and it visually made a huge difference on the headlights and fog lights (before you couldn't even see the foglight bulbs at all). I also made a big 5 way adapter that plugged into the stock brake light harness, and pulled power out for the trailer, as well as some running light strips I installed under the bed.

1716998258169.png

I had bought some big LED lights originally but they stick out a lot and I didn't want lighting on the side of the flat bed since I was worried it'd get destroyed considering every light on the trailer has been broken at least once. So I got the LED strips that people put under their tail gate and mounted it to the bottom side of the flat bed. They're mainly so at night people will see the side of the truck, since there's no side running lights. I accidentally bought twice the amount of light strips I wanted, so I might install the other one above the gas tank so below the door area is illuminated too. I don't trust the retards on the road to be near me at night and not notice there's a huge truck and merge into me :laughing: On an unrelated note I also swapped out the cabin air filter and that about quadrupled the air flow into the cab.

Otherwise no updates to Tiny, it ran like an absolute champ. I realized the fuel gauge is way off, though the estimated range and fuel flow metrics are correct. At one point the physical gauge read 1/3 of a tank left, when in reality I had burned about 1/3 of a tank. This trip we burned a bit over 100 gallons, got 7.4mpg I want to say? The worst yet, though more inline with what I'd expect. The camper seems to make a massive difference to fuel efficiency. I think I'll make a plate to try and smooth out the roof between the cab and camper. Totally empty to Colorado got 11+ mpg, with just the buggy on the back gets 10mpg, and any time a camper is on which weighs considerably less than the buggy and mpg drops below 10. I doubt the trailer made any considerable difference, but the roof line having an additional 2ft of brick up top I think is the main culprit, and this camper is taller than the previous one.

But I'm not complaining, my Tundra I wouldn't even attempt hauling/towing this much, and it would've cost easily double in gas compared to what Tiny burned. I actually used the Tundra the other day to tow the buggy since I didn't want to unload the camper, and my God, now that I'm used to Tiny it's insane how unstable a normal truck towing feels :lmao: Which obviously you'd expect a semi to be better, but it's wild how much more comfortable the driving experience is, the only thing that's worse is how loud the semi is. But I'm just reiterating the same stuff from other posts now...

Next trip is in a couple weeks to Grand Junction. I'll be taking the camper and the buggy to go racing.

Fuel mileage on this kind of stuff is all aero and frontal area.

I've gotten close to 12 MPG in a bobtailed daycab truck running down the hill from Denver to Chicago. Pop an empty box on it and mileage immediately drops into the 8's. The additional frontal area is an absolute killer on mileage. I get 9 MPG with my 40' gooseneck on the dually and I get 10.5 MPG with an open trailer hauling the Tacoma.

The trailer with a side by side probably hurts the aero side more than you think too. You've got a low pressure bubble right behind the camper and a big downwash of wind falling right onto the side by side that's ready to catch all that dirty air off the camper.

I made a wind deflector for the fan shroud, otherwise doesn't seem to make a difference. My dad and I talked about flipping the camper around, you would need to lift it about 18" to get the overhang to clear the cab roof and run it forwards, but you don't really gain much from that. The camper would have to sit taller, you can't use the built in steps at the front of the deck, and you'd step out and then have the dovetail right there. It looks retarded backwards but it's actually pretty convenient, and aesthetics is all you really get flipping it around.

With that said, I have been thinking about building a camper box that would match the deck and then get full usage of the space. I could take the previous camper and gut it and use the parts to build a new one. That'd be a lot of work, but fun to think about. Course at that point you're just building an extended sleeper semi/toter essentially---but the idea does have merit just since it keeps the relatively small planform of Tiny and using it as a flatbed hauler which a big sleeper or toter wouldn't be practical for. I don't know, just throwing ideas around!
Thanks for the detailed response and sharing some of your potential future plans/thoughts.

Fuel mileage on this kind of stuff is all aero and frontal area.

I've gotten close to 12 MPG in a bobtailed daycab truck running down the hill from Denver to Chicago. Pop an empty box on it and mileage immediately drops into the 8's. The additional frontal area is an absolute killer on mileage. I get 9 MPG with my 40' gooseneck on the dually and I get 10.5 MPG with an open trailer hauling the Tacoma.

The trailer with a side by side probably hurts the aero side more than you think too. You've got a low pressure bubble right behind the camper and a big downwash of wind falling right onto the side by side that's ready to catch all that dirty air off the camper.
Thanks for the detailed response and mentioning aero/frontal area drag.

I’ve always thought it was strange that I get the same mpg towing our enclosed gooseneck (23k total combined weight) as I do with the open trailer and buggy (16k total combined weight). But with your explanation it makes more sense now since there’s less frontal drag on the open trailer but much dirtier airflow patterns.

That gap between the truck and camper and, less so, the "front" of the camper sticking up over the cab is hurting your aero badly. The wind is coming off the back of the cab and smacking into that wall of camper.

Several carriers have experimented with closing the gap between the cab and trailer, and have seen 10-15% gains. But there's really no engineering a stop gap that works effectively without limiting travel.

Find a used box truck body of the right length and kit it out. Rollers on the bottom and use the winch to drag it on? Or legs like the slide in camper has
Damn that's a pretty good idea! I don't know how available boxes are but I'm gonna look into it.

Removing/mounting is easy, right now I just pull under my covered parking and then winch the campers straight up vertically and then move the truck and drop them back down to the ground.

Top Back Refresh