What's new

"Tiny" - A Semi Project

Alright prepare yourselves for some redneck shit :grinpimp:

This morning I added some more D rings, added the tread plate I took off that goes on the frame and put that in front of the deck so there's a place to stand above the little stairs, and changed the oil and oil filters. One of the fuel filters requires a special wrench and I didn't feel like making that so just did the oil filters, which were a bitch in and of themselves. The engine plus filters took 9 gallons, quite a bit less than I was expecting from my brief googling.

The air bags also decided to deflate themselves last night, I don't know if the deck weight was enough to make them fully squish after removing the 5th wheel plate? But full bump rubs the boards by an inch or so.

PXL_20240216_162453426.jpg

I was worried I had fucked an air line or bag from the welding but after firing the truck up it raised up fine. The lowering actually helped a lot when loading the camper since the back end drops like 6-7", without that we couldn't get the camper on with how low the roof is under the covered parking.

With the camper mounted in a "normal" orientation, we decided we didn't like it and flipped it around. This involved using the buggy and it's winch and slowly pivoting it around which worked great!

PXL_20240216_200849672.jpg

Introducing the most retarded thing you'll see today hahaha

PXL_20240216_212426492.jpg

It is extra special :lmao: but it's all in the name of convenience. Having it mounted with the overhang forward would make the rear (with the door) overhang the back by at least a foot. That'd make getting into it a pain, and while not necessarily sketchy for rigging it, also not the greatest setup. With it flipped around, now the little stairs turns into an easy access to the door, and we also have some "deck space" right outside the door. This is actually by far the nicest entry to the camper we've ever had, and much nicer for our dogs.

PXL_20240216_205347058.jpg

Ironically none of the D rings I put in actually lined up with any hard points on the camper, so I used the open tube end at the front of the deck and the U bolts at the rear bumper to strap it down. We pulled the camper to the back so it sits against the 1.5" lip created by the 2x6 rear beam and the planks. By far the most secured it's ever been too! The camper also has ample room from the exhaust stack. We ended up strapping the paddle board where the camper wheel well is on one side and then the propane tank on the other side.

This thing has so much storage room compared to what I'm used to it's insane. There's a gear tunnel under the sleeper which we stuffed chairs, umbrellas, RCs, tool boxes, and more into. Plus there's storage boxes under the deck which I barely even touched and just threw some chains and straps and jumper cables into. What would be carrying way less, and yet still overflowing into the truck or the camper before, is now tons of extra space left over!

PXL_20240216_222638957.jpg

It looks so derpy, I love it hahaha :grinpimp: if there was a trailer behind it it would look a lot better I think. Idk how many trips we'll do with just the camper, this is really a test drive and the wife hasn't really ridden in it.

Regardless, today we drove down near Kingsman to a relatives place. This was the first proper drive through a city, and right away at the Virgin River Gorge I got hit with the stop and go traffic and holy shit did I butcher downshifting. I've already gotten a lot better just today, but that initial going from 10th gear to a near-stop but still rolling and trying to figure out what fucking gear it wanted utterly wrecked me, so much to the point I came to a full stop to get into 3rd and put the hazards on. I'm sure the semi behind me thought I was a total retard :lmao: after that we hit more stop and go traffic in Las Vegas and I got a lot better hang of finding gears and what to be in. Accelerating I'm pretty decent at slipping it in :flipoff2: but downshifting is where I have problems. And I can downshift fine, but having to go through 7 gears in a few seconds isn't a thing, and since 5th gear is good for about 7mph I was getting confused. Long story short, 10th is good for 40+, 6-9 are good for anything over 7mph, and if I need 4th or 5th then I'm absolutely crawling.

BESIDES THAT. Truck did absolutely great. It actually rides really well imo after riding in it for another 4 hours. It's easy to drive (besides near stopping), and we cruised at the speed limit the whole way and got 9.5mpg. Maybe to some that's bad, to me that's what my little Toyota would get or worse and we would've filled up three times. In this we used about 12% of the tank :grinpimp:

Also the squad (dogs) were totally happy. The white one hates half the vehicles we own, but she likes the semi, the Hilux, and the FJ40 for some reason. The squad got food and water, a huge bed, and were happy as clams the whole way.

PXL_20240216_223500158.jpg

No real plans for this trip, we're kind of angling for Lake Havasu and see where we go. Somewhere warmer and hopefully with water :grinpimp:

Next week the semi build will continue! It needs to get the buggy mounted on the back ASAP to redeem the comments I've gotten about this configuration :lmao:

You’ll find your rhythm on downshifting with time. I ran both our 10 speeds over for fuel and to look them over for any unreported issues yesterday. The one with city gears felt like a glove since it’s the one I drive the most often when I have to pinch hit driving, but I couldn’t find a gear in town to save my life in the taller geared highway truck since everything was off a gear from my muscle memory.

Check the inflation chart on the super singles but I don’t think you can take them too much lower since the steel belts in them will flex and blowout in a hurry if you go below minimum. Way less forgiving to low tire pressure than a normal car or pickup tire.

You’ll find your rhythm on downshifting with time.
This might be helpful for some so here’s what the old timer I learned from taught me: to find the right gear on a 10 speed while moving on the high range 15mph=6th 25mph=7th 35mph=8th 45mph=9th and 55=10th. So take ever 5mph and add the two numbers together and that’s your approximate gear. I forget what rpm he said but iirc it’s 500rpm from each gear? He’ll get the feel though and it’ll be second nature and fun lol

It both looks so wrong and so right at the same time :lmao:

Right :grinpimp: everyone has been like that's retarded as hell looking, but the functionality is so nice with the stairs going up to the door. If it had a trailer it wouldn't be so bad hahaha

This might be helpful for some so here’s what the old timer I learned from taught me: to find the right gear on a 10 speed while moving on the high range 15mph=6th 25mph=7th 35mph=8th 45mph=9th and 55=10th. So take ever 5mph and add the two numbers together and that’s your approximate gear. I forget what rpm he said but iirc it’s 500rpm from each gear? He’ll get the feel though and it’ll be second nature and fun lol

That's a good rule of thumb adding the numbers! I like that.

And back home! Tiny ran like an absolute champ. In total we did 858 miles and burned 92.4gal for 9.3mpg average. It blows my mind an engine this huge and a vehicle this big can get such good mileage.

Saturday we hung out with the relatives and went to a dirt oval south of Laughlin/Bullhead and watched the racing there which was super cool.

PXL_20240218_032407206.jpg

We ended up just staying in the parking lot that night with a bunch of other racers and spectators in RVs. We also found another convenience to the reverse mounted cabover; the cabover doesn't have a bathroom or shower so we have an instant hot water heater and shower tent, which it turns out the shower tent fits perfectly on the deck between the truck cab and the camper. The tent door lines up with the camper door so you have a pass through essentially, and are standing on wood planks so it's really nice actually. And if you throw a towel over the top of the tent to keep the steam in it gets wickedly hot too, so ended up being by far the best shower experience while camping I've had.

PXL_20240218_160223677.jpg

Sunday we drove down near the river to a beach and hung out there for awhile.

PXL_20240218_170401127.jpg

PXL_20240218_172930242.jpg

PXL_20240218_173048831.jpg

PXL_20240218_174018781.jpg

PXL_20240218_174013675.jpg

We weren't sure if we wanted to stick around the river or go to Havasu, and ended up deciding to loop through Flagstaff and back around. Last night we camped at Lone Rock on Lake Powell.

PXL_20240219_160328531.jpg

I've gotten a lot better at shifting in the past two days. I also came up with a modified rule of thumb to the previous one mentioned, which seems to be if you're going double digit speeds then the first digit is whatever gear (position) you should be in for high range. So 12mph would be 1st gear in high range, ie 6th. 47mph would be 4th ie 9th, etc. Im also getting the hang of popping it out of gear without using the clutch, which seems easy but getting the right amount of throttle to unload it has been tricky. Being able to shift it without the clutch I can see why people say it's easier, even blipping the clutch to go into neutral feels so slow, and being able to skip that step really speeds it up to avoid missing gears, especially in low range.

The engine brake absolutely fucks too. And the normal brakes now that I'm used to them I really like, going slow they can be sensitive but once you're moving they feel awesome. I'm really happy with the truck, it's so insanely overkill it actually makes it more relaxing to drive. There's more power and braking than I would ever possibly need.

PXL_20240219_191836160.jpg

We didn't feel like pulling the camper off today so parked it for the night. I found out the airbag dump valve only works with the ignition on, and if there's air in the tanks then when the ignition turns off the dump valve closes and the bags air back up. That explains why they wouldn't seem to dump since they default to being pressurized if they're not actively dumping air. On that note, the boards hit the tires by an inch or so with the bags empty so I'm planning to lift the boards ~1" so when they're fully mounted they won't snap if the bags deflate while the truck is parked or I can lower the deck if I want without the worry.

This coming week I'll pull the camper off and Tiny will go back into the shop and I'll wrap up the dovetail---still not entirely sure how I want that to look.

Also shout out to the ole Chalmers, that bad boy fired right up today without issue. That may be a first the entire time I've owned it. I think everything with a motor runs currently which is a shocker :grinpimp:

PXL_20240219_194626756.jpg

Looks like a mighty good time!
I'm not advocating that a cab over should be put on a HDT, but it was certainly way better than I was expecting. Pros and Cons between a pickup and the semi are about even and just dependent on what someone is trying to do.

But now we'll be back to the regularly scheduled program of mounting a buggy on it :grinpimp:

I'm not advocating that a cab over should be put on a HDT, but it was certainly way better than I was expecting. Pros and Cons between a pickup and the semi are about even and just dependent on what someone is trying to do.

But now we'll be back to the regularly scheduled program of mounting a buggy on it :grinpimp:
Totally understandable all around.

You going to set it up to pull a bumper pull trailer with the camper in or just do an either or program?

You going to set it up to pull a bumper pull trailer with the camper in or just do an either or program?
Set it up for a bumper pull and a gooseneck. Not sure which setup(s) it'll eventually do, but it'll have the option for everything. Right now I just have the cab over and an 18ft bumper pull flatbed.

I would imagine loaded like u were u could start in 4th or 5th and pretty much skip the slow shifting low range. Im usually a 4th gear take off at 26k.

I would imagine loaded like u were u could start in 4th or 5th and pretty much skip the slow shifting low range. Im usually a 4th gear take off at 26k.
This, on the farm trucks low range hardly gets used empty....and loaded like 40k extra...not your jeep.

Another thing with down shifting is matching engine and gear speed....You rev up to get it into the lower gear...super weird to get used to coming from car manual trans

This, on the farm trucks low range hardly gets used empty....and loaded like 40k extra...not your jeep.

Another thing with down shifting is matching engine and gear speed....You rev up to get it into the lower gear...super weird to get used to coming from car manual trans
I've tried starting in 4th but it felt like I needed to slip the clutch a bit too much. I'll have to play with it more now that I'm getting more comfortable with it.

I've tried starting in 4th but it felt like I needed to slip the clutch a bit too much. I'll have to play with it more now that I'm getting more comfortable with it.
oh yeh, every truck is different. Just dont feel obilgated to start at 1 just cause.

Set it up for a bumper pull and a gooseneck. Not sure which setup(s) it'll eventually do, but it'll have the option for everything. Right now I just have the cab over and an 18ft bumper pull flatbed.

I'd take a look into the cushion/air ride hitches and see what you options are with them. I may be thinking more from an RV perspective, but I know that HDT's are super hard on trailer tongues since they ride so stiff. IIRC the 5th wheel RV guys pretty much have to use an air cushion hitch to keep them in one piece long term. A real gooseneck or sturdy tag trailer that's studier than an RV trailer may not care though.

Good to see another HDT out there. Love mine.. Probably one of the best vehicle decisions I have bought for what we use it for. I don't have the numbers off hand, but I think we have put about 80k on it in 10 years. Averages 8.5 mpg (averaged total fuel to total miles since purchased) and is super comfortable to drive. In 10 years I have replaced the trans (super 10 to a 13), 2 turbos, 2 AC compressors, and a set of tires.

IMG_3032.JPG
Final2.jpg

Good to see another HDT out there. Love mine.. Probably one of the best vehicle decisions I have bought for what we use it for. I don't have the numbers off hand, but I think we have put about 80k on it in 10 years. Averages 8.5 mpg (averaged total fuel to total miles since purchased) and is super comfortable to drive. In 10 years I have replaced the trans (super 10 to a 13), 2 turbos, 2 AC compressors, and a set of tires.

IMG_3032.JPG
Final2.jpg
That’s awesome to see an update on this setup.

I'd take a look into the cushion/air ride hitches and see what you options are with them. I may be thinking more from an RV perspective, but I know that HDT's are super hard on trailer tongues since they ride so stiff. IIRC the 5th wheel RV guys pretty much have to use an air cushion hitch to keep them in one piece long term. A real gooseneck or sturdy tag trailer that's studier than an RV trailer may not care though.

I 100% agree with this. I built a bagged stinger for the bumper pull hitch on our truck. I have seen toungs, couplers and ball extensions all crack becuase of the rough ride.

20191217_180858.jpg

IMG_3032.JPG
Final2.jpg
who needs a golf kart when you have a riding mower.

Didn't make a lot of progress this week. Went to a birthday thing so that blew Friday and most of today.

Earlier in the week we pulled the camper off and I cleaned up the shop and then played musical chairs with all the trucks. Now the Hilux is out of the shop and there's some actual space to work on things!

PXL_20240222_020514663.jpg

I identified three more hoses with air leaks (one I apparently failed to fix or became compromised on our trip). But first on the list was to do the dovetail! I decided to match the slope of the frame which was a 26deg angle. I had enough 2x3 section left (welding the two pieces I had end to end) that I could use it as the rear most cross member. I decided to lay the 2x3 with the 2" leg being "vertical" to give it a lower profile, and then designed a transition piece so the bed tapers from 6" down to 2". The bottom section (parallel with the frame) is 18" long, this pushes it a couple inches past the frame but still gives ample room to access the frame from the back so I can install a tow hitch later without worry of working around the bed. With it all measured and drawn up I cut it out on the plasma table, and had a lucky surprise of a full sheet of cold rolled in my metal pile! I don't know why I had been using hot rolled lately when I had the cold rolled already!

PXL_20240223_015137801.jpg

Thursday I cut it out and prepped the steel, and when I got back home today I tacked and welded it together. It looks pretty sweet I think! The angle is a bit extreme, but I like it following the frame.

PXL_20240224_232436017.jpg

PXL_20240224_232504192.jpg

I plan to add some support beams that will rest on the frame itself so it's not entirely relying on the cantilevered joint. I'm also thinking of adding a fish plate to the top side, and my plan was to overlay some angle iron on the inside welds but as I'm typing this I might just take some flat plate and lay it in the inside at 45deg... I don't know, need to decide how to brace the inside weld.

After that I will need to add mounts for the planks, that will just be a piece of angle iron welded to the inside face of the rear cross member and a piece of flat bar welded to the front 2x6 piece at the correct angle.

I'm still not sure how I want to hold the planks down. Right now I'm leaning towards a bolt on each end with a huge washer. That seems like the easiest solution, especially if I weld the nuts on the bottom. I've toyed with the idea of plates and stuff on the top to hold the wood down, but none of those ideas seem particularly elegant.

The deck overall is 146". I heavily debated making it longer so I could park any of our vehicles on it, but the Tundra is so long (including front bumper) that wasn't gonna work. I want the bed to be as short as possible to some extent, that gives more options to mount stuff to the bed (like a gooseneck) and keep maneuvering and size as manageable as possible. I was thinking I could make some deck extensions that index into the dovetail, that'd be kind of neat. But I can always just tow a trailer too worst case.

Maybe tomorrow I'll be able to do a test fit with the buggy, that'd be cool!

Looking good.

Idea for a bed extension: weld some 2" receiver hitches to the outside of the truck frame. You can then build a 2 or 3 foot deep platform parallel to the ground to slide in and support a longer rig.

Looking good.

Idea for a bed extension: weld some 2" receiver hitches to the outside of the truck frame. You can then build a 2 or 3 foot deep platform parallel to the ground to slide in and support a longer rig.
I have had this same idea. I plan on making removable jacks at the corners for installing and removing

Looking good.

I really like that idea!

I did something similar with mine. The deck was already on the truck when I bought it, so the design wasn’t up to me. I use it mostly to haul my 53 with the rigs inside, or the gn, but sometimes I just need to take a single crawler and sleeping in the truck for a night or two is fine.
I welded 2 pieces of receiver tubing to the bottom of the bed (same height as hitch) and have a 2’ platform that I insert and pin into place. Made a support brace that does the same at the top of the bed (I don’t have a dove on mine), and bolt a set of ramps between the two to make a removable dove. This allows me to haul a single vehicle on the deck, but removable to haul a trailer.

You can kinda see the rear of the bed without the dove.
IMG_9508.jpeg

And with the dove installed
IMG_2548.png

Maybe tomorrow I'll be able to do a test fit with the buggy, that'd be cool!

Well that didn't remotely happen hahahaha. Working on the buggy sounded more fun so I got distracted.

But today the buggy did make it on!

PXL_20240310_010314001.jpg

Just took it for a spin and it is absolutely awesome! The dovetail is insanely steep, I was worried the rear tires would be on the dovetail and want to slide off, but luckily the rear tires end up perched right over the rear cross member of the flat section so it works out. Once I pull the exhaust stack I can pull forward another foot too so it's perfect.

Don't have any photos, didn't do much either it seems like. Welded some angle iron and gussets on, added some more frame bolt in spots, threw a quick layer of paint on the whole thing, etc. I also struggled remembering which fucking gear was where initially since I've been driving my FJ40 around. Once I got my brain rewired it was great!

Tomorrow I'm going to Sand Hollow for a proper test of everything. Not sure what the next modifications will be, though I have some running light/blinkers showing up to install along the side of the deck and also have that HF winch laying around to throw up front.

Top Back Refresh