What's new

xj transmission skid?

I had one on my Explorer. It was attached / integrated into the transfer case skid plate. It was made from 3/16" plate and attached to the transfer case skid plate. I have a trans mount crossmember made from 2x3 square tube that also acts as the front skid plate mount. Front was mounted to a crossmember I made out of 1.5" thick wall tube. Where they overlapped, I had double plated it so they lined up flat. It trapped too much heat, even after I drilled 1.5" holes in several places, and added a heat shield. It never contacted anything in 3-4 years so I removed it. Been off for at least the same amount of time. I have a radius arm suspension and the trans is a few inches above the bottom of the frame so it's fairly well protected without a skid. Trans temps are much lower overall.
20190919_134522.jpg

Both skids attached to the crossmember.
20190918_132647.jpg

How long have you had the rig, and have you ever come close to contacting the trans?

I’ve been wheeling it for 4 years now. Never touched it. Have gotten the exhaust a little where it runs under the trans. The heat is a good point I was wondering about. I am building a xfer skid.

Honestly with the driveshaft on one side and upper 3 link on the other. I have zero ideas on how to support it other than just a hoop from the transfer case. I think I’ll just forget it.
F8AD0B9D-0BEA-4A29-A43C-3E19FA939307.jpeg
998E0622-C1CA-474E-B6A6-52118AB35532.jpeg

You could try this

Depends where you wheel and how tall your rig is.

If you were to wheel a Low rig on the Rubicon, for example, that trans better have a skid plate. Moab, I'd say it is not needed for most things. Snow wheeling, probably not.

I have bent and scraped this shit out of my trans skid plate on 3" of lift and 35s, so until I lift my TJ higher or run bigger tires it is going to have a plate.

A hole in the trans pan can be a trip ender for sure, that stinkyfab plate looks like a good compromise.

I like that trans plate, it will retain a little heat but won't trap the exhaust heat in there like a skid plate will. My cat is next to the trans, so if I cover the trans, the cat is in there with it. Have to overlap onto the frame or it will just fold. With those long suspension links, you should be OK. The way your exhaust hangs down across the trans, when the exhaust gets real loud that will be your que to back up.

I've run the Rubicon a few times, bunch of rock crawling trails in the Sierras and Arizona, and haven't hit the trans. Having said that, I'll be very careful the next trip.

I've actually had the Explorer high centered on one Duff radius arm and both diffs with all four wheels off the ground and wasn't even close to the transmission.

If they make that better than nothing plate for a 700R4, I might be a buyer, but I'm not sure about the idea of bolting a skid plate directly to the transmission.

Anybody see the same issue with it that I do? I'm thinking that if that plate gets smacked it will snap off some pan bolts.

I saw that happen with a 8.8 diff with a full guard that was mounted by the cover bolts. Dude slid sideways off a rock and smacked another rock just perfectly on the guard and it broke off every bolt and stripped the cover off with it. It was impressive. I was right behind him and saw something I bet no one else has ever seen.

Anybody see the same issue with it that I do? I'm thinking that if that plate gets smacked it will snap off some pan bolts.
If the plate got smacked hard enough to shear bolts than it for sure would rip a big gash in a stock pan. It is really hard to scrounge up a few gallons of ATF on the trail ask me how I know.

Tack/weld the skid to the pan? If it’s still a hard enough smack to shear bolts then maybe you should be looking at different under armor?

Top Back Refresh