What's new

XJ decision time

cervelorod

Member Number
Loc
Near the sand dunes
I’m putting together an XJ as a hunting / dorking around rig. I got a iroc long arm 6” suspension kit, with a D30 front and a 8.8” rear, that came from an XJ already. Had a local guy start taking things apart cause I was so busy at work, and he proceeded to break every bolt imaginable on the suspension. I had to cut out 3 of the 4 rear bolt/nuts because they were busted off and I couldn’t remove them any other way. I’m kinda at a dilemma on how to proceed with the rear. I could buy some rectangular tube and fab up new hangar brackets and weld them in. I just bought new Bilstein 5100’s for both font and rear. I also thought, maybe I 4 link the rear and be done with it. Probably more work, but would I be more satisfied in the end? I’d need some coil-overs for the rear, but I might just change the front to coil-over also. I have everything to rebuild coil-overs in my shop.

Is the reward worth the challenge of doing 4 link on the back versus fabing up new spring hangers and cutting out the old ones?

Rod

Get some no lift shackle boxes and Ruff Stuff’s front leaf mount kit. Yes, you can cut shit out and fab it, but they’re a couple hundred bucks and save hours. Since you’re busy and all… :flipoff2:

Otherwise, fuck it. Back half it, triangulated 4 link, tons and 40s. :flipoff2:

If you’re doing coilovers for the rear why wouldn’t you four link it?

If it’s for hunting and forking around why would you put this much effort and money into it?

Personally, as the owner of an XJ, I’d rather hunt/dork around with something else. Something with a frame. Four linking it means you start with playing the mid and rear section, then cut more of the unibody apart for shock hoops.

Just buy some Ruffstuff rear leaf spring pockets.

If you’re doing coilovers for the rear why wouldn’t you four link it?

If it’s for hunting and forking around why would you put this much effort and money into it?

Personally, as the owner of an XJ, I’d rather hunt/dork around with something else. Something with a frame. Four linking it means you start with playing the mid and rear section, then cut more of the unibody apart for shock hoops.

Just buy some Ruffstuff rear leaf spring pockets.

I found the Barnes replacement hangars and starting cutting spot welds tonight. I don’t have the cash for coil-overs, and you are right about the effort for 4 link. I started drinking to early yesterday and later came to my senses,,,

I love me a good XJ build. It’s a platform that requires some unique work but performs very well. I’d keep the leafs in the rear. Simple and reliable is the XJ way (did I really just say reliable???).

I’m on a six inch lift on mine with a radius long arm front. Currently switching it over to Iron Rock 3-link. Six inches begin to promote some problems with the steering which I’m still figuring out. Hard to keep all the components in sync. Currently have bump steer that in working through. Part of me sometimes just says leaf spring the front too and be done!

I love how I can just cut up the XJ and not care though and I’m never selling.

8.8 rear and dirty 30 up front for me too on 35’s. It eats the Rubicon for breakfast and makes those 60k builds on tons and 40’s look silly.

Attachments

• 04EEB2FA-7DF1-47A8-996B-3A3A3C32CFC9.jpeg
    04EEB2FA-7DF1-47A8-996B-3A3A3C32CFC9.jpeg
    240.2 KB · Views: 20
I love me a good XJ build. It’s a platform that requires some unique work but performs very well. I’d keep the leafs in the rear. Simple and reliable is the XJ way (did I really just say reliable???).

I’m on a six inch lift on mine with a radius long arm front. Currently switching it over to Iron Rock 3-link. Six inches begin to promote some problems with the steering which I’m still figuring out. Hard to keep all the components in sync. Currently have bump steer that in working through. Part of me sometimes just says leaf spring the front too and be done!

I love how I can just cut up the XJ and not care though and I’m never selling.

8.8 rear and dirty 30 up front for me too on 35’s. It eats the Rubicon for breakfast and makes those 60k builds on tons and 40’s look silly.
IRO 3 link kit works well, especially for the money.

If I could do it all over I would buy something like this. Front and rear at once.

Is he even still in business? I've seen several people say they can't get in touch with him and he hasn't posted on social media in over a year.

Edit: and the website says they're behind as of Q1 2023...
There's this feature called PM, maybe start with that. :homer::flipoff2:

Is he even still in business? I've seen several people say they can't get in touch with him and he hasn't posted on social media in over a year.

You could even click his name in the post you quoted and answer your own question about him being active here.
It could even start a conversation as listed above.
:flipoff2:

This guy is awesome and yes, still in business. Local to me in fact. I’m trying to reach out about seeing his place. He is recommended to me by all the fab guys as the best “bolt on” stuff for the XJ though technically it’s all weld on.

You could even click his name in the post you quoted and answer your own question about him being active here.
It could even start a conversation as listed above.
:flipoff2:
Good point I guess.

Just going off the business pages like most people would, it looked like maybe he wasn't still in business. Hence the question. :shaking:

Edited to add this thread he started hasn't been updated in almost a year, and his recent activity here doesn't have anything to do with his business. But yeah, I shouldn't have asked. Lol.

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh