What's new

Wtf, broken exhaust manifolds

Screenshot_20220523-144404_Chrome.jpg

I looked in to those, they're not Ca approved :shaking:, and I'm not sure that I could get by with them.
For now the plan is headers, I got approval.

Is your exhaust past the manifold collector hard welded to the frame?

I found out about the difference in frame width between C&C and standard dually trucks of the same make, model
, Year about 5 years ago as I wanted my flatbed dually to be a standard dually with the pickup truck dually bed.

Very disappointed.

Would wrap prevent cracking or increase it? Looks like the heat from four cylinders fighting its way through the collector has overheated the metal in that area. But wrap would make the hot and cold zones closer to a common temp. Temp differential causes warping and cracking. Also, it looks like water splash off the front tires could easily hit the hot manifolds. Could also be running lean.

Wrapping IMHO would prevent cast iron from cracking as it wouldnt cool as fast and same with heat, slower temp changes is IMHO what wrapping and or a ceramic coating should do.

Would wrap prevent cracking or increase it? Looks like the heat from four cylinders fighting its way through the collector has overheated the metal in that area. But wrap would make the hot and cold zones closer to a common temp. Temp differential causes warping and cracking. Also, it looks like water splash off the front tires could easily hit the hot manifolds. Could also be running lean.
It doesn't rain in ca nothing to splash from the tires:flipoff2: the wrap idea is interesting, but it boils down to dorman manifolds being junk,

This has been put on the back burner because the mf won't pass smog and had all kinds of wierd shit going on with the engine running like crap:homer: Being odb1 and I don't drive this truck often, I didn't realize the other issues.
I think that I have the other issues worked out and have a smog appointment tomorrow for it.

I'm pretty sure that it's getting "drop in" shortly headers, because I can't trust the integrity of used GM headers and don't have faith in the after market manifolds.

It doesn't rain in ca nothing to splash from the tires:flipoff2: the wrap idea is interesting, but it boils down to dorman manifolds being junk,
:lmao: how's that endless drought coming along? Dorman anything isn't worth the box it came in.

I'm pretty sure that it's getting "drop in" shortly headers, because I can't trust the integrity of used GM headers and don't have faith in the after market manifolds.
If you do get shorty headers, I would get them ceramic coated. It will help with expansion and rust.

I was looking at ceramic or stainless steel.
If you can find it already done, get the stainless steel with ceramic coating. If not, get the stainless steel then have them ceramic coated. Since the heat shields won't be there any longer, the ceramic helps to contain the heat in the header pushing it down the line in the exhaust.

And I almost forgot, get spark plug boot protectors too. That will help prevent the spark plug boot and some of the wire from melting with shorty headers.

Interesting development, the timing was intermittently jumping all over the place sometimes throwing a code, sometimes just running poorly. I couldn't see anything wrong but started pulling on different sections of the knock sensor wire and was able to pull it apart, breaking one starand (the last strand) in the wire :homer:. Repaired it, cleared the computer, took two tries and it has ran "good" up to 91 mph after going into closed loop. The timing advance still seems a little off to me but I don't know what it is supposed to advance to under load. I'm going to keep an eye on it before making anymore changes.

Ceramic cost header black so itll be dirty and doesnt appear aftermarket for smog visual check if any?

I'll local junkyard for stock headers when I get back from roll.

California approved aren't "that" expensive from summit. Hopefully the RunningProblem :flipoff2: Is taken care of.
Did you have same issue with original header or they all were dorman?

Check for ceramic coat on stock header. I plan on doing the same to my 5.7 and 8.1 before it cracks

Did you have same issue with original header or they all were dorman?

Check for ceramic coat on stock header. I plan on doing the same to my 5.7 and 8.1 before it cracks
Seven years ago I did a head job on the truck, the drivers side manifold was two warped to bolt back to the head. I used a spreader to get it to line up, I over spread it :homer:. Since then it's been through multiple ds aftermarket manifolds of various manufacturers. Lately the passenger side broke and now it's broke again.

Seven years ago I did a head job on the truck, the drivers side manifold was two warped to bolt back to the head. I used a spreader to get it to line up, I over spread it :homer:. Since then it's been through multiple ds aftermarket manifolds of various manufacturers. Lately the passenger side broke and now it's broke again.
Not familiar with tool Spreader. Does that mean still on original exhaust studs or that's replaced as well?

Here is a link to the spreader https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-13000-...ocphy=9031814&hvtargid=pla-568368077736&psc=1

The bolts that hold the manifold to the head are original, except for a couple.
Cool. Didnt know this exist.

I'd probably would see if exhaust gasket lines up with bolt holes. I'd imagine its probably bitch to remove and install manifold each time?

I'd shoot for replacing all header bolts if gasket doesnt fit.

Hopefully it's that simple and not having to swap out for another cylinder head.

Cool. Didnt know this exist.

I'd probably would see if exhaust gasket lines up with bolt holes. I'd imagine its probably bitch to remove and install manifold each time?

I'd shoot for replacing all header bolts if gasket doesnt fit.

Hopefully it's that simple and not having to swap out for another cylinder head.
So normally, and most likely in my case the manifold will warp and the bolts will hold it in place, after you remove the bolts the manifold takes the warped shape.

That sucks. I wished I went this route on my 5.7 though.

Im curious how the header fits. I'll need a set too

Top Back Refresh