What's new

Wrangler 392

This seems like a huge nothingburger. Like V8 swaps are new? Is getting one with a warranty that big a deal?

Can't believe in this eco environment they did it.

They're still making vehicles as aerodynamic as a brick that get somethingteen MPG, they don't make the Wrangler to sell to the eco crowd (or the cost-conscious crowd); it's a "lifestyle vehicle". IIRC, a 4 door Wrangler and my SRW/CC/LB F350 came in pretty close to each other on both sticker price and fuel economy. Can't possibly tell me production costs are the same between the two, there's ~30% less vehicle in the Jeep. But people will pay it, and buy it, in numbers enough to make their business model work, so more power to 'em. Even so, engine size doesn't make that much difference in fuel economy, the older Wranglers showed that back when you could get a 2.5 or 4.0 and they got the same mileage but the 4.0 made almost twice the usable power. Same thing with the 300/302/351 Ford Bronco. Bring it a little more modern and look at the various Subarus that you can choose your engine in, and 20+% more power costs less than 5% fuel economy.

I know you could get a 304 in a CJ5, I have heard that you could get a 304/360/401 in a CJ7 at one point but I've seen very few and can't say for-sure on anything bigger than a 304 factory in a CJ7. Even so, a stock late 70's 401 would've been... 160hp? Maybe?

I know you could get a 304 in a CJ5, I have heard that you could get a 304/360/401 in a CJ7 at one point but I've seen very few and can't say for-sure on anything bigger than a 304 factory in a CJ7. Even so, a stock late 70's 401 would've been... 160hp? Maybe?

I don't think 360s or 401s were ever offered OEM in Jeeps of that era. But it was easy to swap one in after the fact because everything bolted up the same. Kinda like dropping a 454 into a 350-powered chevy back in the day.

I don't think 360s or 401s were ever offered OEM in Jeeps of that era. But it was easy to swap one in after the fact because everything bolted up the same. Kinda like dropping a 454 into a 350-powered chevy back in the day.

To the best of my knowledge the 304 V8 was the largest V8 offered in the CJ from the factory. IIRC the 360 V8 was in the full sized Cherokees and Waggies.

I have reservations that Obama (joe) will let it happen in as much as they hate oil and anything that looks fun . Look at the Cherokee during his first 8 years . Kameltoe will outlaw it cause it will never get the MPG 's .
FCA will have to buy mucho credits or purchasers will pay a giantsized tree hugger tax .

I'd rather see a <5.0L V8 replace the Pentastar in the regular models. Why not considering they have 3 fuel efficient options now (4XE, 2.0T and Ecodiesel). A V8 available on every trim level would have been a better answer to the Bronco if you ask me.

but what was the duty cycle on that engine?

pew pew

Approximately eternity. Or until we run out of oil.

I'm excited about it, for the same reason as all of the other factory off road vehicles. It gets more people into the hobby, but it also gets even more people into the aftermarket. Like it or not, one of the greatest things jeep did was the 4 door JK, and all of those stupid mall crawler lifted jeeps support the aftermarket industry a lot better than the hard core wheeler. This is just another option to keep aftermarket accesory manufacturers making more stuff. Even if 70% will never leave the pavement, it keeps the industry moving.

On the same note, I am very curious how long it will take before I see one on 37's with a nuked rear D44 at one of the local off road parks because they thought they could just throttle up that rock pile like they have seen people do on the internet.

Can't believe in this eco environment they did it.

I assumed jeep/dodge/Chrysler stuff would start getting modernized after the FCA thing but nope. I am not a mopar fan at all, but a part of me really enjoys seeing them flaunt major trends in the industry and make some of this stuff.. GDI? CAFE MPG? Electric powertrains? In-house diesel? GPF's? Nope, we don't do that. Tire smoke? F#CK YEA WE GOTCHA THERE WOOT!!!!!

Watching Mopar is kind of like watching that borderline meth head neighbor with the F-body/K20 trar down the street on bald 38" groundhawgs do a one wheel burnout on a coolant puddle at 2am on a tuesday night.

#BurnoutsN2bankruptcy!!!

[No message]

photo32883.jpg

I assumed jeep/dodge/Chrysler stuff would start getting modernized after the FCA thing but nope. I am not a mopar fan at all, but a part of me really enjoys seeing them flaunt major trends in the industry and make some of this stuff.. GDI? CAFE MPG? Electric powertrains? In-house diesel? GPF's? Nope, we don't do that. Tire smoke? F#CK YEA WE GOTCHA THERE WOOT!!!!!

Watching Mopar is kind of like watching that borderline meth head neighbor with the F-body/K20 trar down the street on bald 38" groundhawgs do a one wheel burnout on a coolant puddle at 2am on a tuesday night.

#BurnoutsN2bankruptcy!!!

Actually we do electrics as well.

I'd rather see a <5.0L V8 replace the Pentastar in the regular models. Why not considering they have 3 fuel efficient options now (4XE, 2.0T and Ecodiesel). A V8 available on every trim level would have been a better answer to the Bronco if you ask me.

No kidding, it's like you have the choice between around 275 hp or 470 hp :laughing:​​​​​​

A lightweight ~350 hp V8 would be killer, especially if they could make it as efficient as the Ford 5.0 or gm 5.3.

No kidding, it's like you have the choice between around 275 hp or 470 hp :laughing:​​​​​​

A lightweight ~350 hp V8 would be killer, especially if they could make it as efficient as the Ford 5.0 or gm 5.3.

Seems to me like a 3.0-3.5ish turbo V6 would hit that happy medium, handle the crash safety issue, still be plenty reliable, and could probably be built on existing architecture. I think Ford and GM have both proven the US market will buy smaller turbo engines in the right situations.

Seems to me like a 3.0-3.5ish turbo V6 would hit that happy medium, handle the crash safety issue, still be plenty reliable, and could probably be built on existing architecture. I think Ford and GM have both proven the US market will buy smaller turbo engines in the right situations.

I agree, we got the 2.7 in our F150, wasn't picky on engines as I think they're all good.

I just figured the V8 would be a good selling point

Such as? Last I knew chrysler barely had a phev hybrid.

Fiat has a plug-in-only 500 variant, but I'm told it's for lease only, not sale, in California and Oregon only. My folks have one. That's as close as I personally know of to "Mopar electric" but it does exist. Should've made it in a micropickup, should've made it in a roadster, should've made it in a two-seater, but it's a four seater for families in which two people don't have legs. And supposedly it's a violation of the lease terms to remove the back seat.

Fiat has a plug-in-only 500 variant, but I'm told it's for lease only, not sale, in California and Oregon only. My folks have one. That's as close as I personally know of to "Mopar electric" but it does exist. Should've made it in a micropickup, should've made it in a roadster, should've made it in a two-seater, but it's a four seater for families in which two people don't have legs. And supposedly it's a violation of the lease terms to remove the back seat.

Meanwhile, at GM.... 1000hp electric humvee and at Ford... 450hp mach-e's

Seeing comments about mall crawlers/never see dirt ect. Iv seen more jeeps on the trail than any other vehicle, not on backdoor or hardlines, but they're out there.

Years ago, I got to wheel with some Chrysler engineers on a developmental trip. The JK was recent, and the subject of a V8 was talked about. The engineers had no problem installing the engine, but making it meet/exceed crash safety standards was the issue. The engine was simply too bulky, and took up too much room, for the frame/body to absorb impact without pushing that 'block' of metal into the passenger space. Not sure how they're accomplishing it now, but I can certainly see that the longer wheelbase would create better handling characteristics than the short wheelbase, and crash testing, handling characteristics, NVH, and a whole host of considerations come into play when selecting what configuration gets the HP.

The jl nose is longer than a jk. By 4” iirc

I'm kinda surprised that didn't just throw a 5.7 in there..

Top Back Refresh