What's new

Wrangler 392

I'd love to have one. Except for the stupid price tag that'll go with it. ... Oh well.... Don't care what the MSRP is, I'm betting the dealers get 100K for the first year.

I'd love to have one. Except for the stupid price tag that'll go with it. ... Oh well.... Don't care what the MSRP is, I'm betting the dealers get 100K for the first year.

local dealer sold the TRX RAM for upwards of $140k, according to one of the managers... crazy.

4-door only :rainbow:

Years ago, I got to wheel with some Chrysler engineers on a developmental trip. The JK was recent, and the subject of a V8 was talked about. The engineers had no problem installing the engine, but making it meet/exceed crash safety standards was the issue. The engine was simply too bulky, and took up too much room, for the frame/body to absorb impact without pushing that 'block' of metal into the passenger space. Not sure how they're accomplishing it now, but I can certainly see that the longer wheelbase would create better handling characteristics than the short wheelbase, and crash testing, handling characteristics, NVH, and a whole host of considerations come into play when selecting what configuration gets the HP.

Wake me up when they put 60's under it to handle the power they put in it..... :rolleyes:

This was my wonder as well. I get leaving the Front 44, but the rear 44 seems to me would be a big issue. are the JL D44s different than the JKs?

This was my wonder as well. I get leaving the Front 44, but the rear 44 seems to me would be a big issue. are the JL D44s different than the JKs?

Slushbox with torque management. You've eliminated any sudden or harsh shock to the drivetrain.

Quick search says 1979 CJ 7. 125 hp:lmao:
I’ve got a 78 in the yard that I sold the 304 out of.

Perhaps I'm out of line, but how does a V8 only make 125hp? My Samurai was 1300cc and made 40....ish. :laughing:

Years ago, I got to wheel with some Chrysler engineers on a developmental trip. The JK was recent, and the subject of a V8 was talked about. The engineers had no problem installing the engine, but making it meet/exceed crash safety standards was the issue. The engine was simply too bulky, and took up too much room, for the frame/body to absorb impact without pushing that 'block' of metal into the passenger space. Not sure how they're accomplishing it now, but I can certainly see that the longer wheelbase would create better handling characteristics than the short wheelbase, and crash testing, handling characteristics, NVH, and a whole host of considerations come into play when selecting what configuration gets the HP.

This doesn't make sense to me because they've been putting V8s in Grand Cherokee for years. Is the GC any larger than the TJ/JK/JL?

This doesn't make sense to me because they've been putting V8s in Grand Cherokee for years. Is the GC any larger than the TJ/JK/JL?

crash standards have changed quite a bit since then, and IIRC, the JK/JL engine bay is a bit smaller(?)

1979 :flipoff2:​​​​​​

Fuck I think the tbi 454 was only like 170 :laughing:

Just gots those torques

1989 C3500 trucks were fitted with either a 6.2-liter engine or a 7.4-liter engine. The 6.2-liter engine produced 143 horsepower and 257 ft-lbs. of torque. The 7.4-liter engine offered 230 horsepower and 385 ft-lbs. of torque.:flipoff2:

Ya'll drove some bulldozers. :laughing:

Perhaps I'm out of line, but how does a V8 only make 125hp? My Samurai was 1300cc and made 40....ish. :laughing:

After the fuel embargo, engines were derated for fuel consumption reasons.
20 years ago pickup trucks were good cresting north of 500 ft/lb torque, now they are over 1000.

The 1973 427 tall deck in my dump truck is rated at an earth shattering 220HP.

The 1973 427 tall deck in my dump truck is rated at an earth shattering 220HP.

Almost seems like its physically impossible. You would think with the amount of displacement, it'd be almost natural to get those numbers higher.

Never really sat down and looked at old school numbers. heh

GC was unibody, and designed to crumple differently. The JK (and now JL) are full frame, and crash differently. (I assume) it's easier to crumple the sheet metal unibody design. But who the fuck knows.... I am just relaying the reason (or excuse) I was given at the time. (and fwiw, I was expecting a reasoning of fuel economy standards, or, some such crap)

Almost seems like its physically impossible. You would think with the amount of displacement, it'd be almost natural to get those numbers higher.

How they measured rated HP also changed in the early 70s which is why there was a huge drop around that time in advertised power numbers as well.

I’m sure it’s only available in the four door to appease the lawyers. That would have been a lot of power for a 100” wheelbase.

How they measured rated HP also changed in the early 70s which is why there was a huge drop around that time in advertised power numbers as well.

HP was a bare engine at the flywheel before 1974-1975, then they started measuring it with a full exhaust and with accessories on the motor. They still do it that way today which shows how much power has increased over the years. Then again, shit is heavier these days too. A 3/4 ton then was maybe just over 5000lbs instead of 7000 like now with all the extra wiring safety shit, glass, etc.

medium duty stuff is its own animal, they put on a tiny carburetor so that you couldn't rev it to the moon

sometimes they had a separate butterfly in underneath the throttle that had a flyweight governor hooked up to it, but the cheaper solution was just a tiny carb on a small to moderately sized big block

Top Back Refresh