What's new

Workplace BYD cell phone polices

Slander

Team no stickys
Member Number
Loc
Hickory, NC
I need go sound off here: why do simpletons think that a company allowing you to use your own phone for work shit is some sort of a perk? Oh yay its great that I can still be held to the corporate mobile device policy 24/7 and all the bs that entails despite being off the clock all while getting a portion of my bill paid for, oh sweet!!:rolleyes: but hey at least I can use the newest phone and not a fleet spec Iphone...:rolleyes:

Fucking stupid, rant over while I go to the cell phone store to activate another line on my family plan and get another personal phone for my work phone.

We have over 70 company paid for cell phones, and I know for a fact that at least 75% of them are turned off and forwarded to employees personal phones so they don't have to carry 2. They wont allow us to give a stipend for using personal phones, otherwise we would.

I need go sound off here: why do simpletons think that a company allowing you to use your own phone for work shit is some sort of a perk? Oh yay its great that I can still be held to the corporate mobile device policy 24/7 and all the bs that entails despite being off the clock all while getting a portion of my bill paid for, oh sweet!!:rolleyes: but hey at least I can use the newest phone and not a fleet spec Iphone...:rolleyes:

Fucking stupid, rant over while I go to the cell phone store to activate another line on my family plan and get another personal phone for my work phone.

because carrying two phones sucks.... BTDT....

Having said that, it's more expensive for the company to subsidize monthly charges for a personal phone than it is to force a company phone, at least according to what ATT told me... I get up to $150/mo for my phone... if it was a corporate-owned phone on a corporate-owned plan, charge would be about $20 + cost of the phone.

Having said that, it's more expensive for the company to subsidize monthly charges for a personal phone than it is to force a company phone, at least according to what ATT told me... I get up to $150/mo for my phone... if it was a corporate-owned phone on a corporate-owned plan, charge would be about $20 + cost of the phone.

I have 2 and hate it.

Unfortunately my personal phone is on a different carrier than my work phone, so call forwarding is not an option that I am aware of.

Interesting info, I would have figured it would be the other way around.

I used to use one phone for 5 yrs then switched to 2 and my quality of life went up exponentially. This new place gives me 1/3 of what you get, not bitching about that part. I had a former coworker get his personal phone put on a legal hold for a few months because he was using it for work and someone was sueing, fuck that! More venting about people talking about it like this is some great feature of working here, no that sucks! Other than that its great!

Plus I like to scour the bowls of the internet on my phone and dont need my new super liberal employer fireing me for wrong think.

Last edited:

We pay for a pool of minutes, then its $10 per phone. Most employees get dumb phones so they give those to us for free. Smartphones we buy outright. If we could give $50 a month per employee I think we would break even.

I have 2 and hate it.

Unfortunately my personal phone is on a different carrier than my work phone, so call forwarding is not an option that I am aware of.

We can forward voice calls from one carrier to another. Texting doesn't forward though.

I constantly use my personal phone for work. We're always sending each pictures of work orders and such.

I work in the defense industry. You guys get to have your phones at work? :flipoff2:

Interesting info, I would have figured it would be the other way around.

I used to use one phone for 5 yrs then switched to 2 and my quality of life went up exponentially. This new place gives me 1/3 of what you get, not bitching about that part. I had a former coworker get his personal phone put on a legal hold for a few months because he was using it for work and someone was sueing, fuck that! More venting about people talking about it like this is some great feature of working here, no that sucks! Other than that its great!

Plus I like to scour the bowls of the internet on my phone and dont need my new super liberal employer fireing me for wrong think.

basically, you don't want the company knowing you're searching pron on their dime?

I dnn't get $150... I get up to $150. I have to send in receipts...

Another way to look at it - if customs requests me to unlock my phone, I can say "I'm sorry, I cannot do that. This is a company-managed device and I would need to talk to our legal and compliance team."

So it's a little bit of additional protection.... sort of.

My employer will supply you a phone or pay you ($12.00 a month) to use your own. But to use your own, they need to install super invasive apps to monitor what you are accessing with your phone. Needless to say, I have 2 phones. Work phone gets shut off as I am leaving the building unless I am on call.

I just went from having a company phone (carrying 2 phones) to a personal phone allowance. I don't get how your company could monitor your personal phone unless you have to install bunch of company software on it. I just expense the monthly amount for reimbursement and that's it.

I just went from having a company phone (carrying 2 phones) to a personal phone allowance. I don't get how your company could monitor your personal phone unless you have to install bunch of company software on it. I just expense the monthly amount for reimbursement and that's it.

Any sort of MDM - Airwatch, Intune, MobileIron, etc... will have some capability of managing data, as well it should. Question is how intrusive does the company want to be....

2 phones here
work phone gets turned off at 430 unless im oncall
It was amazing how people think they have the right to call at 630pm asking about a email sent at 8am

I was given an option of company phone or they pay 1/3 of my bill. While getting 1/3 would be nice I opted for the company phone just because I can leave it at work or turn it off when not on the clock, I don't work for free.

basically, you don't want the company knowing you're searching pron on their dime?

I dnn't get $150... I get up to $150. I have to send in receipts...

Another way to look at it - if customs requests me to unlock my phone, I can say "I'm sorry, I cannot do that. This is a company-managed device and I would need to talk to our legal and compliance team."

So it's a little bit of additional protection.... sort of.

Pron, shitposting on forums, shit talking via text, looking at hate speech sites like mises.org that encourage free thought, you know all the shit that will get you in trouble in 2020 LOL!!! I never thought of the customs thing.

And yes I have to install company software that can remote wipe and remote download data.

I'm getting a 2nd cheapie smart phone and just putting the company stuff on there, just sounding off on here!

More venting about people talking about it like this is some great feature of working here, no that sucks! Other than that its great!.

Simple, previous to being able to use a personal phone for work, they had a work phone and were not allowed to have their personal phone in their possession during work hours, so to them, yes using their personal phone at work is a 'perk'.

Look at your coworkers. I received so many complaints about my people having to carry 2 phones that we stopped with the company phones and let them use theirs. People would keep their own phone and then just carry 2. It's hilarious to me that you are opening up another line do you can carry 2 phones. People hate that. :lmao:

The people who didn't carry two phones just forwarded their work line to their own cell phone.

So companies are wasting money on phones and plans. The people running your company are doing it right, you just don't see it. I don't see management in your future.

Last edited:
2 phones here
work phone gets turned off at 430 unless im oncall
It was amazing how people think they have the right to call at 630pm asking about a email sent at 8am

2 phones here as well

worst i get are calls on random "holiday" days off

So is the company giving out your number as the contact number or is a company extension forwarded to your personal phone? Personal number being given out make me cringe, when an employee leaves the company, management never puts in place a quality succession plan and leaves IT to scramble to figure out a way to not have customers/vendors calling an ex employee.

I got a choice between a monthly check for using mine or using a company iphone. Took the check and setup a Google Voice number for my personal cell. And the check is free money, my personal phone is on my dad's work plan that I don't pay for. :laughing: One of his perks with their plan is VPs and senior management get up to two extra lines for family for free.

Look at your coworkers. I received so many complaints about my people having to carry 2 phones that we stopped with the company phones and let them use theirs. People would keep their own phone and then just carry 2. It's hilarious to me that you are opening up another line do you can carry 2 phones. People hate that. :lmao:

The people who didn't carry two phones just forwarded their work line to their own cell phone.

So companies are wasting money on phones and plans. The people running your company are doing it right, you just don't see it. I don't see management in your future.

Lol I used to be a Sr. Manager who had a $1million budget and wrote $250million capital plans, and I had 2phones!:flipoff2:

I'm back in safety now, I dont need my work life and personal life colliding on one device, especially with legal shit and things like that.

I'm one of these damn millenials that hates working 24/7 and wants a life outside of working!

Last edited:
So is the company giving out your number as the contact number or is a company extension forwarded to your personal phone? Personal number being given out make me cringe, when an employee leaves the company, management never puts in place a quality succession plan and leaves IT to scramble to figure out a way to not have customers/vendors calling an ex employee.

That's the other issue, it would be my personal number that gets put in the directory in addition to my desk number.

Google voice or even just downloading WhatsApp and using that number beats the hell out of a secondary phone you have to pay extra for. You can shut the app off during off hours too so no more bothering you when you don't want them to.

I only carry one phone, work pays for it all, I use it both for work and personally. They'll provide a phone if you want (usually a low end Samsung A series or something) or give you $250 every couple years towards whatever phone you want to buy. I haven't paid a cell bill in over a decade and the only real policy they push is that you need a lock screen and they can remote wipe the device if need be.

Top Back Refresh