Wood shake siding.

De Ja vooooo:flipoff2:
Saw= machine
Now for the wood butcher challenge.
Post a pic of said "shake manufacture"
Winner gets a spork:smokin:

What kind of spork? :flipoff2:
i fuckin hate wood shake.

but around here that weathered, gross grey, covered in moss, cedar look is what makes these yuppies feel like its a cabin. decks, sliding all of it. its gross. my place is getting hardi sheets for siding and hidden fastener metal roof. might even just go metal all over. but weathering steel doesn't work as intended when your 500yards from the ocean.

cedar shake looks like shit to me, unless its kept stained and maintained.
There's a guy in here who's house is covered in metal. Pretty sure it'd last in your cheap seats. :flipoff2:

Reactions: Clb
There's a guy in here who's house is covered in metal. Pretty sure it'd last in your cheap seats. :flipoff2:

yeah dethmachine. he aint that close to the salt water, and rain. there are a few commmercial buiding here and you can see how its brighter red/orange and leaves rust stains. it never build the dark protective layer as its meant to be. even in north bend i bet it would be fine. not where i'm at. that salt water air and the winter moisture wont let it cure.

i do allot of faux corten look installs around here. mild steel rusted and sealed. this is hot dip galv territory.

the reason i have the shop i do is some yuppie wanted to store his 45' boat indoors and be able to trailer launch it sown the street. the boat aint legal to go down the road, but this place is close enough he never had a problem for 25yrs. the truck he used was sweet an '84 chev 3+3 dually, had a detroit and alison swapped in when new off the lot from a amdt/hdt? chirped the tires every gear change unloaded.

"looks like shit"
proceeds to put vinyl siding up
Haha. I think under the vinyl on my parent's house is cedar shingles still. Pretty sure my Dad didn't rip them off but put some r board up and the siding.

Done right and decent quality siding vinyl isn't bad. Sure beats having to paint every couple years.

Cedar shakes/shingles are common up here, no idea why most people go for untreated besides cost. My in laws built there house 45 years ago, and put shakes on it, they are clear coated, and just now showing signs of cracking and needing to be replaced in the next year or two.
Give it a good pressure washing, with a detergent made for cleaning mildew and they come back to the natural color.

No idea where you are looking for property up here, but I know of 63 acres of woods for sale for $125k, built what you want on it, and town rules are pretty lax.

If you keep cedar stained it just rots from the bottom.

My dad got 60 years out of a cedar shake roof that was skip sheeted. Only reason it failed was 60 years worth of hail storms beating it to death.
This. Every fucking vacation home on the new england coast has shake siding and the rich ones have cedar. Well installed cedar as siding should be good for 50-100yr depending on how the house is oriented to the sun (and how well the northerly wall will dry in the winter).

yeah dethmachine. he aint that close to the salt water, and rain. there are a few commmercial buiding here and you can see how its brighter red/orange and leaves rust stains. it never build the dark protective layer as its meant to be. even in north bend i bet it would be fine. not where i'm at. that salt water air and the winter moisture wont let it cure.
I completely agree with all of this. Galv, stainless or don't bother.

There's just too much latent salt the first 3-5mi from the water for anything else to last.

No idea where you are looking for property up here, but I know of 63 acres of woods for sale for $125k, built what you want on it, and town rules are pretty lax.
Tell me more....

Thanks. Unfortunately my price range is absurdly low. Most of what I'm looking at is an hour north of Bangor. Found a clean suitable house in Athens. But the Hillbilly stereotype is strong there. Neighbors have stacks of old tires, abandoned vehicles and pop-up campers in their front yard. I'm a redneck at heart but c'mon. :laughing:

Thanks. Unfortunately my price range is absurdly low. Most of what I'm looking at is an hour north of Bangor. Found a clean suitable house in Athens. But the Hillbilly stereotype is strong there. Neighbors have stacks of old tires, abandoned vehicles and pop-up campers in their front yard. I'm a redneck at heart but c'mon. :laughing:

You're not a redneck if you judge your neighbors like that. You should be putting your own projects on blocks and stacking tires to make them feel welcome :flipoff2:

Looking north of Bangor
Confused why everyone's a hillbilly.
:laughing:

When I want to buy random old shit, I look north of Bangor. $100 means a lot more to them than it does to me, you could buy that guys whole yard for $400 and a case of Twisted Tea.

The coast stays nicer (and more liberal, $$$) I still think northern NH is better than Maine, but we don't have legal grass

I'm gonna laugh my ass off when you buy into some "nicer" place and then start bitching about all the yuppie swine in 5yr when the economy starts picking back up.

Tires and meth are way better than nice lawns and yuppie filth.

Looking north of Bangor
Confused why everyone's a hillbilly.
:laughing:

When I want to buy random old shit, I look north of Bangor. $100 means a lot more to them than it does to me, you could buy that guys whole yard for $400 and a case of Twisted Tea.

The coast stays nicer (and more liberal, $$$) I still think northern NH is better than Maine, but we don't have legal grass

I'd love to be within commuting distance to Manchester. But the real estate prices are insane.

I'm gonna laugh my ass off when you buy into some "nicer" place and then start bitching about all the yuppie swine in 5yr when the economy starts picking back up.

Tires and meth are way better than nice lawns and yuppie filth.

At the end of the day you're right. And I'm more about living cheaply than working to death to maintain some image.

Tell me more....
In the next town over the old man finally past away, and his kids listed it last week. Wife and I looked at it 5 years ago when the old man listed it and then pulled it. Someone had told him how much the wood was worth on it, its since been cut. It was in the town of Bowdoinham, very rural and country like area. They just pulled the listing last night according to my agent.

North of Bangor is where we go to buy project vehicles, sleds, and guns for cheap come tax time. Seems like people are always hard up for cash, and there are some good buys to be had. A coworker bought a 100 acre farm up there because it was cheaper than a good house, he flips older vehicles and stores them in the barn.

I'd love to be within commuting distance to Manchester. But the real estate prices are insane.
Fuck Manchvegas and that BS. You can either commute in to work for a few extra $ an hour, or work local for less. A friend commutes from Wakefield to Manchester for some big engineering firm, for big money, and hates it. Claims if you factor in the drive time, working locally was similar pay on a 40 hr week. if you work the amount of OT that spends driving, he would make more money working in a smaller machine shop.

IDK what industry you're in, but there's plenty of work outside Manchester

got a pile of tires cut up for shinglemaking purposes
depending on how it goes they might get used for shet siding too
If it goes well find a good siding contractor. Might be worth more than you think. Have a buddy in Washington that will go take old shakes and siding off builds being demoed and the use them for repairs on his clients houses. Finding good shakes is damn near impossible in any quantity.

I currently have shake siding on my house with a metal roof. When we bulld on you are only keeping the shales if budget insists. Otherwise I’m calling my
Buddy wayne and letting him go to town so I can throw concrete siding up.

Fuck Manchvegas and that BS. You can either commute in to work for a few extra $ an hour, or work local for less. A friend commutes from Wakefield to Manchester for some big engineering firm, for big money, and hates it. Claims if you factor in the drive time, working locally was similar pay on a 40 hr week. if you work the amount of OT that spends driving, he would make more money working in a smaller machine shop.

IDK what industry you're in, but there's plenty of work outside Manchester

Not directed at you but only an enginerd could mind fuck up a scenario like that. A bad commute is Los Angeles or the Bay Area in Northern CA. I know, swearing to even utter those words when talking about Maine and northern NH. An xtra 1/2 hr drive can be a great time to clear your mind, unwind and relax. Stop over thinking ang obsessing about every $0.02. But a bumper to brake light idiot shit drive can do exactly the opposite. Your friend works machine shop, not engineer ? Maybe it's the engineers, his work environment added to the drive that bring the suck.

In Maine when you get an older house, do you go into the walls, studs and the roof/rafters to completely fix old insulation or do you just burn a shit load of wood and wake up cold and fire up the coffee pot ?

Not directed at you but only an enginerd could mind fuck up a scenario like that. A bad commute is Los Angeles or the Bay Area in Northern CA. I know, swearing to even utter those words when talking about Maine and northern NH. An xtra 1/2 hr drive can be a great time to clear your mind, unwind and relax. Stop over thinking ang obsessing about every $0.02. But a bumper to brake light idiot shit drive can do exactly the opposite. Your friend works machine shop, not engineer ? Maybe it's the engineers, his work environment added to the drive that bring the suck.

In Maine when you get an older house, do you go into the walls, studs and the roof/rafters to completely fix old insulation or do you just burn a shit load of wood and wake up cold and fire up the coffee pot ?
Have you ever driven here? If not, sit this one out. MA/ Southern NH traffic/driving is its own animal. And we're talking 1-1/2hr commute. # hours of the day you're not being paid, bumper to bumper doing 70+

He's an engineer, but started in the shop. Bounces back and forth especially when the money is right.

Cut holes, blow in insulation. Or strip the sheeting, re-insulate, re-sheet, re-side.

Or yeah burn a bunch of oil or wood

Foooooooooook. :flipoff2: I hiked the Long Trail in Vermont with my brothers when I was 8 yo. Havent driven anywhere near there. Sorry to hear about the urbanization, it's everywhere. I almost finished the cedar siding on my build in the Northern Rockies where it is much drier. Amish contractor finished the remaining high gable wall with heavy window install. I used 8-inch wide Cedar boards that are a bevel in cross section with Cabot natural stain. Both sides and ends. I know full well I will be re-staining the south west exposure within 3 years, but at least nothing rots here. I used thousands of tiny stainless shank nails per the recommendations of the wood manufacturer and Simpson Strong tie.

i fuckin hate wood shake.

but around here that weathered, gross grey, covered in moss, cedar look is what makes these yuppies feel like its a cabin. decks, sliding all of it. its gross. my place is getting hardi sheets for siding and hidden fastener metal roof. might even just go metal all over. but weathering steel doesn't work as intended when your 500yards from the ocean.

Even worse is they pay me to make new ones look old. All I have to do is throw around the word 'distressed' and I double my price. Its so stupid.

Top Back Refresh