What's new

Wood shake siding.

the conservative atheist

😷😷😷ㅤ=ㅤ🐑🐑🐑
Member Number
I had no idea how prevalent this was until I started looking at houses in Maine. It's used on like every other house.

Is the black just a natural darkening process or does it indicate rot?

Do people really think this looks good?

22345687900be41b475fdee489fb6254l-m3407903809od-w1024_h768_x2.webp

I had no idea how prevalent this was until I started looking at houses in Maine. It's used on like every other house.

Shit, be glad it's got siding. Last time I was up there looking, half ripped off tyvek was the siding of choice.

Leave it natural and it turns black most of the time. Sometimes it turns gray. Depends on the environment.

People don't stain or seal them here. Better to let them breathe than have an impermeable barrier hold water in them.

I think they can look good, especially if you get someone who can get laser straight and even courses and they're all laying flat. Once they age and get the "character" I think they get ugly, just looks like a lot of buck teeth

Edit,: Wet and forget or spray any forget will clean it and keep it looking new if you apply it how the bottle says

Last edited:
I had to split shakes, recycle shakes, and do shake roofs as a kid. If done right a good shake roof lasts decades or until a forest fire goes by.
Yup. Shake roofs were common in SoCal, but that were a BIG fire hazard. Those houses went up like they'd been doused with gasoline.

got a pile of tires cut up for shinglemaking purposes
depending on how it goes they might get used for shet siding too

yep. My house is like that too. They darken with age. You’d be amazed what a little time with a pressure washer can do for those. I haven’t bothered with mine because they aren’t that dark (yet). Pretty common for most natural wood around here frankly. I didn’t paint the siding I put on the greenhouse back in the spring and it’s also turning grey now.

Shit, be glad it's got siding. Last time I was up there looking, half ripped off tyvek was the siding of choice.
Truth. There’s a house right up the road from me that has been tyvek only since we arrived over a year ago.

Yup. Shake roofs were common in SoCal, but that were a BIG fire hazard. Those houses went up like they'd been doused with gasoline.
I helped my uncle do a roof in Oxnard the summer of 90 between my junior and senior year of high school because my dad's logging business was shut down for spotted owl. We took cedar shakes off and replaced them with asphalt shingles. My dad was a firm believer in no work, no eat and also idle hands........so he called one of my mom's little sisters husband that was a contractor in SoCal and made sure I had work for the last half of the summer. I still remember the conversation he had with me and how he enlightened me from thinking I was going to goof off the rest of the summer.:lmao:

I had to split shakes, recycle shakes, and do shake roofs as a kid. If done right a good shake roof lasts decades or until a forest fire goes by.

My older step brother and I got in big trouble when we were ~8/10. Part of the punishment was we had to split and brake a mountain of shake that was pulled off a neighbors house. It was fun doing Bruce Lee chops for about 30 Mins, sucked the entire rest of the summer. :laughing:

It does make amazing kindling.

Cedar siding is common. Cedar shingles for a dormer is a common feature here now, a lot of older houses just had the whole place done. And maintenance is a bitch or it looks like shit, like that place.

Shingles are saw cut and usually thinner. Shakes are split, and usually thicker.
De Ja vooooo:flipoff2:
Saw= machine
Now for the wood butcher challenge.
Post a pic of said "shake manufacture"
Winner gets a spork:smokin:

You are worried about the black stuff ? What is all that white shit ? :confused:

My older step brother and I got in big trouble when we were ~8/10. Part of the punishment was we had to split and brake a mountain of shake that was pulled off a neighbors house. It was fun doing Bruce Lee chops for about 30 Mins, sucked the entire rest of the summer. :laughing:

It does make amazing kindling.
I also had to pull the nails out and straighten them for reuse, had to start that when I was about 6. We was poor. Wish I had known about white privilege then.:homer:

Last edited:
I'd take wood shakes over vinyl every day. At least you know that the toothless meth addict "professional tradesman" who installed had to put at least a staple in every one of them. With vinyl you're lucky to get three nails in an 8ft section.

i fuckin hate wood shake.

but around here that weathered, gross grey, covered in moss, cedar look is what makes these yuppies feel like its a cabin. decks, sliding all of it. its gross. my place is getting hardi sheets for siding and hidden fastener metal roof. might even just go metal all over. but weathering steel doesn't work as intended when your 500yards from the ocean.

cedar shake looks like shit to me, unless its kept stained and maintained.

but around here that weathered, gross grey, covered in moss, cedar look is what makes these yuppies feel like its a cabin. decks, sliding all of it. its gross. my place is getting hardi sheets for siding and hidden fastener metal roof. might even just go metal all over. but weathering steel doesn't work as intended when your 500yards from the ocean.

flat 300 series stainless sheet

flat 300 series stainless sheet

was a thouhgt. but think a no go. being that i do metal work, the whole place would end up whith steel dust everywhere and rusting. and would have to be backed or the heat and cooling heave i'm afraid would tear itself off the place.
i did line the local carwash tunnel with stainless. h-track between sheets and layed up with contact cement to ac ply. its holding up great to all the chemicals and shit after 4-5yrs now. being wet all the time i thought it may start delaminating, but its real solid so far.

the current plan is 3/16 or 1/4" flat plate hot dip galved, 8' high on the face of the shop and 4' high around the house. from there up hardi sheet. and i'm replacing all the trim with that plastic stuff that looks like wood.

Your only choice is concrete and stainless.

If you keep cedar stained it just rots from the bottom.

My dad got 60 years out of a cedar shake roof that was skip sheeted. Only reason it failed was 60 years worth of hail storms beating it to death.

He replaced with asphalt because it was cheaper and a guarantee the insurance company would buy every new roof he ever needs again. :laughing:

I figure the sheet I do will be overlapped, but not really attached at the bottom, overlapped like masonite siding, prolly 2'x8' sheets, so it'd be 4x8s with the factory edges exposed and the one sheared edge hidden
the expansion will be able to squeak and rattle in the wind

stainless in my case because I figure I gotta go a few feet down below grade to keep the burrowing bastards from chewing into the 6" of foamboard that's around the house

Top Back Refresh