What's new

Winch bumpers and gaurds. Gmt800.

total newb

senior jerk ass
Member Number
Loc
trinity center ca
So after using total girlfriends tahoe to murder an elk and completely destroying the front end of it, im going to buy a 05 suburban, and there are more elk/deer/bear and dont want a repeat.

So before to long i want a heavy duty bumper with a decent to heavy upper brush gaurd. Not realy worried about the winch mount but ill fillit if i have the room.

So show me your chevy gmt800 front bumpers, info on it would be helpful as well.

I also know that there are 5 different headlight setups that can dictate what clears and works with others. Particularly the gmc can be drasticaly different than the chevrolet headlights.

This is the burban im getting, hopefully.
Screenshot_20230225-134011_Facebook.jpg

So what do you have?
Where did you buy it?
$?

There is a local local guy that "custom" builds bumpers starting at about $1200. So that is a definate posibility.

Did that on the wife's Yukon last month, just got a small dent though, would like to do something similar.
From finding parts:
Chevy is flat across the top of the bumper (or close to it).
GMC/Cadillac have the center section of the bumper lower than the outside sections.

Aaron Z

Bull or cow? And be glad it didn't end up in your lap.and or passengers.. hoping all involved other the afore mentioned elk being 'murdered" by tahoe

Wanting to buy a ready to bolt on bumper or are you willing to weld one together? How much are you looking to spend? Want to avoid the fat lip look of some of the winch bumpers?

I’ve looked at the Move kits for a newer Chevy. They’re a decent price and allow customization. Seems like you can get one for $800+, and possibly less if you catch a sale. They don’t seem to stick out like a fat lip like some of the other bumpers do.

I always like the looks of ARB bumpers for the vintage Chevy, but they’re $$$. The same can be said for Buckstop. I like the style, but again they’re $$$$ new.

Ranch hand is an option that you might find floating around cheap. They’re common in TX being made here. Seems like they pop up on Craigslist and marketplace for $500+ used. Downside is the powder coating sucks.

2005 Chevy Suburban Custom 4x4 Off-Road Steel Bumpers – CARiD.com

I like this website since you can at least get some ideas of cost and looks.

I'd be kinda cautious bumper shopping, don't assume it'll fit, the 1500 truck, Tahoe and suburban is one chassis, and the 2500hd 3500hd is another

I'm guessing the 2500 burb falls in there with the "2500ld" Silverado and might not line up right

Factory, the HD gets the fat bumper top, the ld doesn't. Also the 8.1 burb and avalanche got the 4l85 instead of the Allison because there wasn't enough room in the shallower frame

The problem I can see is that even if you put this bumper on, another cow will have just about the same effect on it, or else it will just bend up the frame horns in the front.
Hitting 2,000 lb at speed will take a lot to absorb...

Aaron Z

I'd be kinda cautious bumper shopping, don't assume it'll fit, the 1500 truck, Tahoe and suburban is one chassis, and the 2500hd 3500hd is another

I'm guessing the 2500 burb falls in there with the "2500ld" Silverado and might not line up right

Factory, the HD gets the fat bumper top, the ld doesn't. Also the 8.1 burb and avalanche got the 4l85 instead of the Allison because there wasn't enough room in the shallower frame
This is the info i wasnt 100% on.
I knew theres a lot of variables/vaiants and wasnt to sure about the differences between truck and burb chassis, but assumed there was some because fml.

I was aware of the 4l80/4l85 came behind the 8.1 but wasnt 100% on what got what other than hd always had the alison. Im fine with a 4l80/85.

The problem I can see is that even if you put this bumper on, another cow will have just about the same effect on it, or else it will just bend up the frame horns in the front.
Hitting 2,000 lb at speed will take a lot to absorb...

Aaron Z
Im more worried about saving the vehicle than 100% stopping all damage.
With the vulnarabiltiy of the coolers and lack of structal rigidity i lost everything in front of the block. With a bumper i would like to think that i can shore up enough to not bleed out on the asphalt.

I know that i would have still damaged the tahoe. But id bet i would have still been able to drive home afterwards. With severed coolers atf/oil/steering i was doa.

Wanting to buy a ready to bolt on bumper or are you willing to weld one together? How much are you looking to spend? Want to avoid the fat lip look of some of the winch bumpers?

I’ve looked at the Move kits for a newer Chevy. They’re a decent price and allow customization. Seems like you can get one for $800+, and possibly less if you catch a sale. They don’t seem to stick out like a fat lip like some of the other bumpers do.

I always like the looks of ARB bumpers for the vintage Chevy, but they’re $$$. The same can be said for Buckstop. I like the style, but again they’re $$$$ new.

Ranch hand is an option that you might find floating around cheap. They’re common in TX being made here. Seems like they pop up on Craigslist and marketplace for $500+ used. Downside is the powder coating sucks.

2005 Chevy Suburban Custom 4x4 Off-Road Steel Bumpers – CARiD.com

I like this website since you can at least get some ideas of cost and looks.
Frankly, id like to just buy one. Normaly id build one and not think twice about it. Im months behind on stupid projects, work and other bs i just want it on there now.
Ive already seen deer this year so dipshit season is coming.

Stock pic wholesale sites that dont actually make shit like carid piss me off to no end. You already selected the year and vehicle with you link. The first bumper they show is a gmt 900, and the further you go down the worse it gets.

Frankly, id like to just buy one. Normaly id build one and not think twice about it. Im months behind on stupid projects, work and other bs i just want it on there now.

Stock pic wholesale sites that dont actually make shit like carid piss me off to no end. You already selected the year and vehicle with you link. The first bumper they show is a gmt 900, and the further you go down the worse it gets.
Totally understand the time thing. It’s why I haven’t bought a move kit. Pretty sure it would sit in the package and never get done.

Yeah, I get the frustration with CarID, but it’s a jumping off point, and a decent way to find price info. If I find something I semi like on there, I look at the manufactures website.

Tough Country bumpers is another one that’s here. Might be worth looking at.

It seems like they vary by style, but for the most part yes. It probably has to do with having a winch mount or not.

Found this one today. Looks like it follows the lines of stock bumper?

Here’s one on my 900, not sure if they’re still in business or what. Bought it in Montana years ago, I believe the company is from South Dakota. Very well built and sturdy as hell.
IMG_0971.jpeg
IMG_0972.jpeg
IMG_0973.jpeg
IMG_0974.jpeg
IMG_0975.jpeg

I thought this had to do with the trans tunnel, not the front end frame etc.

I wouldnt mind a gmt400 at all. Totalgirlfriend doesnt want one at all, regaurdless of year/dash style or trim.

Ive found a couple of nicer and bare bones .gov type and she just doesnt want.

I do prefer the ls motor when given the choice over a tbi 454. I dont mind the 800's so long as its not the dipshit "cat eye" front end.

I thought this had to do with the trans tunnel, not the front end frame etc.

I don't know about different trans tunnels, I wouldn't be surprised if there were a couple different versions, and I no longer have a 1500 truck for a quick comparison...
But, the 2500hd and 3500hd frame is 2" taller than the 1500, and likely "the others" as in 1500hd 2500ld avalanche and burb 2500s. It's basically a 2" body lift, which makes room to work, room for an Allison and room for a duramax. Pulling a 4l80e out of a 2500hd is a nice job, pulling a 4l60e out of a 1500 is a bitch, especially after the HD job expecting room to work.

Look at the 2500 burb he just posted, it has a slim top bumper cap. That's the same metal as all the 1500/2500/3500 trucks that era, and that's the 1500 cap, likely with 1500 brackets. If you need a bumper for your 2500hd, you buy that bumper, the fat lip 3" HD cap, and the HD brackets.

I run 315s on my HD, so I used the 1500 cap and made my own brackets to pick mine up and push it forward an inch or so, I like the look better. The front tow hooks ride under the lip instead of in the pocket. It worked OK the 2 times I got stuck, but usually I'm the one pulling:laughing:
20220213_110751.jpg

So i finaly got a decent burb that smogged, wasnt a complete dissaster inside, and had the 8.1l.

04, border patrol, 8.l, 227k, rubber floor mat, spot lights, roof grab bars, and some turbo tuff side steps.

Gauges were fucking off but that was a known issue with clusters, nbd. Turned out to be just a weak ground, got it all working now.

So now i need a bumper asap before one of hits another fucking deer/elk

Its got some bad paint spots and some interior fixing but it'll do.

received_859875589152904.jpeg
received_257164977142030.jpeg

Top Back Refresh