What's new

Who's who in sequential 6 speed dog ring transmissions these days?

There is a whole bunch of sexiness going on.
Get this thing done, and let's race!

Damn impressive.

Is the tube work you have done limiting the trans selection/use? If so wouldn't it make more sense to adjust the tube to make the trans you want work? Because racecar gets no compromises. Unless I'm missing something 😕

Having a passenger seat is actually what is blocking the wiesmann fitting as it was meant to sit. It's actually a very wide trans. The shafts sit side by side so the bulge is to the passenger side. Not going to pretend that the amount of engine set back doesn't play a part in it too. Add in that the Wiesmann has to use a 5.5" spacer between the trans and bellhousing. The seats aren't really mounted any further inboard than stock......maybe a bit, but not much at all.

It's just the wrong trans for my needs. Luckily, I only bought a bare used case for mock up. If it worked out, I would have bought all new guts.

DSC04838.JPG

Glad to see you posting about the Camaro again, I can't wait for the build thread.

Hurry up and finish that damn Jeep!!!

Ya, I'm just trying to think ahead right now.

The Jeep needs the air box finished and swaybar arms made. Then it's blast, paint, plumbing, wiring, break in and then strap on a dyno.

The '69 is getting DSE front subframe, rear 4link, subframe connectors, ford 9" and mini tubs. That can be done pretty quick and gets me 335 rear and 315 front tires. Most of it is all bolt on. Exact same brake package I have on the Jeep can be bought for this.
While I'd love to slap a R07 in it, honestly I'd probably just buy a snotty LS7 crate engine and a non fancy (no dog ring) 6 speed manual.
Enough body work to stop the few rust spots it has then flat black the fucker.

Then the '72 will get it's turn. One thing I've learned over the years the '72 has sat, they build road racing chassis very differently now. 99% is square tube and could be built pretty quick. The torsional rigidity if these things is insane.

1435785008lb.jpg

1435785008la.jpg

So does Dart sell those blocks now?

I don't even see billet blocks on their site now. I know they had them listed at one point. I do know they listed a 4.5" bore space billet SBC but it wasn't the R07.

As far as I know I'm the only one dumb enough to do it.

That picture of the trans by itself shows more then the ones in the car of how big it is.

Roof triangulation, for when it goes upside down. Also windshield bars to keep the cows out.

That chassis is intresting, I wonder what thickness the square tubing is.

bdkw1, that X you would put in the back would effectively take away the crumple zone built into the back of that chassis and eliminating it would be bad. About the only thing that part of the chassis is doing is giving a place for the fuel cell to live, a solid place to bolt the spoiler on and a place for the tops of the coilovers to mount. The lower suspension links bolt to the chassis way up between the A & B pillar and the top link bolts on up near the steering wheel so there really isn't a need to make the chassis stronger back there. I do 100% agree on the A pillar bars you put in though, seems like it would be mandatory on a chassis like that.

The shoulder harness mounts are pretty serious, seems excessive honestly but I get why they make them height adjustable.

This isn't a track car so rear crumple zone isn't nearly as important. The lack of continuous door bar will still allow for some energy absorption. It will greatly stiffen the upper cage so that when it's sliding upside down it will not deform. A pillar reinforcements will keep the roof bar from ending up in your lap. Windshield bars are for cows and purely optional.

This isn't a track car so rear crumple zone isn't nearly as important. The lack of continuous door bar will still allow for some energy absorption. It will greatly stiffen the upper cage so that when it's sliding upside down it will not deform. A pillar reinforcements will keep the roof bar from ending up in your lap. Windshield bars are for cows and purely optional.

He's definitely building a track car...

Cup cars of years past (I have no idea about the new ricer looking shit they run these days) don't have a rear X, only have a single center bar in the roof and windshield area and have probably slid further on their roofs than any other chassis in motorsports. If deformation in the roof area was even a hint of a safety issue Nascar would have a rule about it.

2017-Chassis-NASCAR.jpg

Last edited:
Was digging around in my old laptop and found a few pictures that were sent to my while the block was being made.

LAMENDOLABLOCK12-10-08.jpg

LAMENDOLABLOCK12-10-081.jpg

LAMENDOLABLOCK12-10-082.jpg

LAMENDOLABLOCK12-10-083.jpg

LAMENDOLABLOCK12-10-084.jpg

LAMENDOLABLOCK12-10-086.jpg

LAMENDOLABLOCK12-10-088.jpg

If you notice the dates on the pictures. Obama had just been elected, I was busy as fuck at work and making bank.........The Deepwater Horizon oil spill happened about a year later and the work and money dropped off by 2/3rds. Had to choose between the family or cool shit. Cool shit lost.

No mention of Xtrac yet, so I'll throw their name in the ring. They supply IMSA, IndyCar, Nascar, etc.

Oh my...that thing is pure awesomeness.

Apparently, I need to do a better job with social networking in my life, I can't say I have any names like Hendrick or Childress in my rolodex. Good on ya!:beer:

No mention of Xtrac yet, so I'll throw their name in the ring. They supply IMSA, IndyCar, Nascar, etc.
Not sure they have something big enough for this. They showed up on the off road scene years back claming all sorts of good things. Their shit kept breaking. They vastly underestimated the shock loading in an off-road car. I think somebody is running 1 in a TT now so maybe they have upped their game.

It's most definitely a full blown road racing chassis. Track days on the famous road racing tracks, Open road racing (Silver State Classic) on closed sections of highways, Maybe some autoX thrown in for fun.
No door to door racing, cause I doubt it will fit into any class.

Plus, just like my Jeep, because Louisiana, lights, tail lights, wipers, turn signals and a horn. Which means license plates and street legal.:flipoff2::usa:

That bare chassis I posted above is for a Corvette body I believe. That's why the A-pillars are raked bake so far. For a second gen Camaro there would be much less rake.

I agree with bdkw1 that there is room for improvement in the round tube part of that chassis. But my reason for posting those two pictures was for everything EXCEPT the round bar portion. It's what they call a space frame, because of the center structure between where the two seats would be. There's a structural backbone cutting what was a big open square area into two small rectangles.

Here's a picture of an older version of a backbone in a space frame.

New Style gt-1_c13.jpg

I didn't see anything that looked like it could tick all my boxes. Nothing was rated very high either. Some cool stuff for sure though.

I didn't see anything that looked like it could tick all my boxes. Nothing was rated very high either. Some cool stuff for sure though.
There rep at the races was pretty full of himself. I asked if they could be had with a torque converter. Had had this pained look and told me there were much better ways to deal with shock loading. Both the cars they had in that race DNF'ed with broken tranny's. There solution was a full length torsion bar in the main shaft with the clutch on the back of the trans. That wasn't enough so they went to a torque limiting clutch. All German motorsports kept after it with that setup. They had to run 2 fans to try and keep the clutch cool. There were only 3 bolts that held the clutch pack in so they would swap them on the longer races.

Albins offers a TC and a clutch. RG runs this in his TT. The clutch is so you can put it in reverse without turning off the motor. Somthing you can't do with other manuals with TC's.

Not sure they have something big enough for this. They showed up on the off road scene years back claming all sorts of good things. Their shit kept breaking. They vastly underestimated the shock loading in an off-road car. I think somebody is running 1 in a TT now so maybe they have upped their game.

Sounds about right after having worked with them for awhile now. Nice stuff for sportscar racing.

I see on the Weismann site that they had come out with a replacement for the turbo400 autos. No planetaries, all straight cut gears, something called the Weismann auto clutch instead of a torque converter.

iphone6-694_1_orig.jpg

Apparently Unlimited Pro2 banned it before they even got to race it. They say it's the 5th trans they've designed and built only to have it banned.

I distinctly remember seeing a sequential 6 speed trans like what I'm looking for on the Weismann site a number of years ago, but it's no where to be found now.

I distinctly remember seeing a sequential 6 speed trans like what I'm looking for on the Weismann site a number of years ago, but it's no where to be found now.
Yeah, they do a lot of 1 off stuff in the hopes that it will turn into a good seller.

Why can't those places auction off timed out stuff like the NASCAR teams do. I'd go broke.

I guess the clutch sits in that front piece. Wonder what size it was?

I went to Ferrari World in Dubai years ago, was blown away by how small the clutches were.

20150801_154558.jpg

Top Back Refresh