What's new

Who's who in sequential 6 speed dog ring transmissions these days?

gt1guy

Apparently a racist
Member Number
Loc
New Iberia, La.
This is for a road going car. RWD. Road course, track days, open road races (Silver State Classic Challenge).

This is for a road going car. RWD. Road courses, track days, open road racing (Silver State Classic)

Right now I have a Weismann shuttle shift dog ring 5 speed. It would have to be clocked 90" to fit. and it still doesn't really fit. Weismann would have to rework the drysump setup in it and they still say it wouldn't be optimal. The worst part is these transmissions have to use a 5" set back spacer between the bellhousing and trans which makes the placement worse. It's also is only rated to 1000ft/lbs

I've been looking at the 6XH, it checks all the boxes and is rated for 1800ft/lbs which I'll be close to. It will also bolt right to the bellhousing I have with a rear mount starter.

Every other sequential box I've found is rated at 500ft/lbs or less, which would last for seconds....maybe

Who are the other players in the game now days? Weismwnn seems to be focusing on TT 4WD's and offshore boats these days

Last edited:
Albins st6. Or get better weight balance and go with the rear mounted option. They are very large though.

Masons use there own trans, not sure if it's for sale separately.

You will never put 1800ft lbs to the ground in a RWD car so I wouldn't worry about the absolute maximum # because it's pretty much impossible to replicate in the real world.

What does Big Red use for a transmission?

When will you be at the Silver State? I will be there in May.

How much hp?

Low boost/pump gas 800-900 , high boost/race fuel ~ 1500-1800. Those are numbers I'm pulling out of my ass right now but, should be easily attainable. Those are the numbers I'm looking for though.

1000+hp is easy on pump gas these days.

You will never put 1800ft lbs to the ground in a RWD car so I wouldn't worry about the absolute maximum # because it's pretty much impossible to replicate in the real world.

What does Big Red use for a transmission?

Drag cars do just that every day. I'm not building a drag car though. My main reason for needing that kind of power is to push a brick through the air.......in a straight line. I think running totally stupid power would take a lot of the fun out of running a road course on a track day...............................unless you're a drifter, and I think drifting is the stupidest thing ever invented and I get annoyed just hearing that word.

Big Red is putting 2000hp @ ~28psi on meth from a ProCharged 555 BBC through a Rossler 4L80 T6 trans. In reality, that's not getting that engine anywhere near grenade status. I'm surprised at the trans choice.

Big Red is actually an old '80's Trans Am chassis that utilizes the complete Camaro body.

When will you be at the Silver State? I will be there in May.

May might be a stretch to make. I'm not touching anything else until my Jeep is finished. Getting the '69 in shape to take there is just a bunch of bolt on parts. I want to run it a few times in the '69 before the '72 is finished.

Lenco?

I have no real experience. Just following along

That's the name I couldn't remember. They even have drawings on the site that have dimensions.:smokin: The QBE69G certainly will fit in the space it needs to.

Also looks like it just needs an adapter to fit the Tilton bellhousing I have to use. My block has no provisions to mount a starter like normal. Has to be a rear mount (bellhousing) starter and a 110 tooth flywheel.

Sounds funny buy my block has provisions for nothing. No engine mounts (motor plate only), no fuel pump mount, no oil pump mount on the rear main cap, no oil filter mount, no starter mount and belt drive only for the cam.

Albins st6. Or get better weight balance and go with the rear mounted option. They are very large though.

Masons use there own trans, not sure if it's for sale separately.

Appears to be......or maybe a version of it.

ST6TT.JPG

Or get better weight balance and go with the rear mounted option.
My engine is moved waaay back...but...

This is pure sex and almost tempting to change everything around for......almost.

transaxle.JPG

I wish they had dimensions available. But just going by the picture, what I believe is the oil pump could very well want to be in the seat with me.

ST6-I.JPG

After looking through their site, I now know where those crazy Middle East folks who climb the dunes get their transmissions.

Samsonas | Gearbox

This is what a lot of the professional drifters are using.

I hate drifting.:flipoff2:

I like the shape of the trans, but that's really all the info you get on their site.

Samsonas.JPG

And I hate drifting:flipoff2:

Lenco?

I have no real experience. Just following along

Lenco has always been drag race only. I see they make a street/strip trans now. And a automatic for the trans brake folks.

I didn't think you could even down shift them.

Lenco has always been drag race only. I see they make a street/strip trans now. And a automatic for the trans brake folks.

I didn't think you could even down shift them.
Fair enough, supposedly some are down shift able, but as I said I know nothing!

You'd probably want the low profile version.

Screenshot_20231224-223236_Drive.jpg

The rear mount ones were developed for the European touring car races. They make the driveshafts and everything. They put a lot of work into making the clutchless shifts work with the extra mass of the DS. It's a pretty slick setup. They have a lot of stuff that isn't on the website. They are pretty helpful if you call them.

Just read the 6xd specs. I f8nd their torque rating suspect. Same size input shaft as the Albins and weights less. There is not extra fat on the Albins, it's very well built. I would bet it's just as durable as the 6xd even though it's rated for half the torque.

You'd probably want the low profile version.

Screenshot_20231224-223236_Drive.jpg

The rear mount ones were developed for the European touring car races. They make the driveshafts and everything. They put a lot of work into making the clutchless shifts work with the extra mass of the DS. It's a pretty slick setup. They have a lot of stuff that isn't on the website. They are pretty helpful if you call them.

Might have to call and get some dimensions. I designed my chassis to have the crankshaft center line at 9" off the ground. Flat bottom underslung chassis with 4" ground clearance. That would put the bottom of the drysump pan just above the bottom of the chassis. That low-profile trans could be too low profile.

What kind of vehicle are you putting together?
It sounds like a hell of a build.

Sadev.
If you can deal with the french...

Ricardo maybe.
But then again, you'd have to deal with the italians...

What kind of vehicle are you putting together?
It sounds like a hell of a build.

It's an actual '72 RS/SS Camaro split bumper. Was completely rusted out and given to me for free. Replaced the floors, trunk, front cowl, rockers, quarter panels, rear wheel tubs.......and kept finding rust. The front sub frame was a mess and the rear unibody sub frames were shot.

That's when I said fuck it, I'm building a tube chassis and dropping the body on top of it.

Few pictures from that process. This was when my shop was my carport.:flipoff2:

DSC05164.JPG
DSC05166.JPG

Gives you an Idea of how far back the engine moved.

DSC05144.JPG

Luckily the exhaust goes to the front.

DSC05074.JPG

Better picture of the mid mount on the bell housing to the gas peddle clearance.:flipoff2:

DSC05071.JPG

This was trying to clock the Weismann 5 speed 90*.

DSC05018.JPG

The dry sump pump in the trans would have to be modified.......but the shifter mechanism ran right into the seat mount.

DSC05046.JPG

I even tried moving the trans behind the seats but it wouldn't work the way things were back there.

DSC04863.JPG

That's when I accepted I'd have to run a different trans. If I didn't want a passenger seat the Weissmann would have fit no problem.

Also during that time I was working out the engine. I wanted a R07 out of a Cup car. Because who doesn't want a engine that can put out over 950hp @ 10k rpm for hours on end. But the more I learned about them and mainly the rules they have to follow, I could see big improvements if you didn't have to follow any rules. Just couldn't do them with the stock CG R07 block

So I contacted Dart and said I wanted a custom billet R07 block with some changes. Dart had never even seen a R07 block, so MBE (who helped GM develop the heads and who I had been talking to about the heads) sent Dart the block they had. Dart made a full CAD model of it and we set about making the changes I wanted.

R07's have to run flat tappet (solid) lifters and the oiling system is basically a priority lifter type. The lifter valley is basically flooded with oil. I wanted roller lifters, so we added .937" keyway bushings and modified the oil passages not to flood the lifter valley. Basically turned it back into priority main oiling, but kept the rest of all the cool other oiling bits the R07's have.

R07's are a 4.5" bore space but are limited to 4.187"max bore. There is lots of room left over but rules are rules. So we installed sleeves with a 4.250" bore.

R07's run SBC small journal mains and Honda rod journal sizes. But they run either a 3.25" or 3.26" stroke crank depending on whether they've cleaned up the bores, cause they have a cid limit too. I had them change the main journal size to large journal SBC (2.45").

R07's run a really short deck height (forget what it is). I went with a 9.5" deck height. That lets me run a 3.75" stroke crank, long rods and pistons with a sane compression height..........cause boost.

There were a couple hiccups during the process.

MBE didn't send the main caps with the block they lent us.....then couldn't find them. So Hendricks Motorsports was kind enough to lend us a set. There is a big cover plate with oil galleys that bolts to the back of the block. We didn't have that either. Dart called Hendricks again and I called Richard Childress Racing. After explaining what I was doing, Childress said they'd send one to Dart and I could keep it.

So three years and a lot of money later I received this...

DSC04639.jpg

DSC04644.jpg

The heads are impressive all by themselves.

The little red o-ring is an oil port that feeds a matching port in the valve covers. You can also see how the valve springs sit down in their own oil bath to cool them. Heads are from Childress and DEI who combined with Childress

DSC04812.jpg

Here's the valve spring oilers in the valve covers. Each oiler has 2 sets of 3 holes at different heights, so the springs, the contact point between the rocker arm and lash cap and the rocker pivot gets oil spray.

DSC04697.jpg

The R07 also has the cam raised over 1.5" and runs in needle bearings

DSC05717.JPG

DSC05721.JPG

T&D rocker arm setup is just what you'd expect from them. Lash is set by adjusting pushrod length.

R07 rockers1.jpeg

R07 rockers2.jpeg

So, I plan to take all this shit in the last two posts, add a Kinsler IR EFI manifold that's DBW and blow a pair of turbos through it.

4.250" bore X 3.750" stroke = 425cid

The longer stroke will certainly will keep it from living at 10k rpm. But I'm sure the little rascal will scream.

I also have access to a real R07 block that is in perfect shape except that the bore exceeded the rule size limit so It was retired. Bore has been cleaned up to 4.200". Thinking about picking it up for my '69 Camaro. I already have extra spare parts for the rotating assemble. Just need pistons/rings and a camshaft,

Last edited:
Damn impressive.

Is the tube work you have done limiting the trans selection/use? If so wouldn't it make more sense to adjust the tube to make the trans you want work? Because racecar gets no compromises. Unless I'm missing something 😕

Sadev.
If you can deal with the french...

Ricardo maybe.
But then again, you'd have to deal with the italians...

Sadev has some cool stuff, but nothing the looked like what i need. Plus, every French person I've ever delt with offshore I wanted to punch in the face.

First this I see on the Ricardo site is a F1 car and a LMP prototype. Next thing I see is the bit to fill out for a professional consultation. I probably couldn't afford the phone call:flipoff2:

Top Back Refresh