What's new

Who's still got an FFL

I went to zoning first, thats why I said I had to explain that there was not going to be any retail, thats because I was not zoned for retail. Didn't think I had to spell it out but there it is

Got my LLC back from the state. Went with a super generic name in case I spin it to also do side work for my full time occupation. Went to register for an EIN and the website closes at 10 eastern. Yes, the....website....closes.... Dubba Tee Efff?

Since I went with a lame name for the LLC I'm thinking I should put a trade name on the ATF application, which is what would be stamped on guns/cans/etc that I make. But I am terrible at naming things. I have a 16 year old leopard gecko named lizzy. Yep, 16 years and can't come up with a name

Random brainstorming (that all sounds dumb)

Rickbuilds/Rickbuilt (already have some social media and user accounts with this name)
Hotel Tango Guns/Firearms - End of my call sign
Some other variation - Zulu Hotel, ZHT Firearms, etc

Hopefully I will be sending out my paperwork this week so I need to think quick

don't mind generic names, went with Cabin8 LLC on mine. Leaves it wide open, easy to spell and say.

Rickbuilt isn't bad. The others get a bit long, imo.

I asked the city for some documentation on to address the zoning issue and they didn't have much to go on so I'm just gonna submit and see what the Agent says.

Business name is Weiss Engineering, thinking about the trade name being WE Arms or WE Firearms. Short and easy to engrave.

Got my EIN after the computers came back to work...

You don’t apply for a SOT, you register and pay the tax. As soon as the tax is paid, you’re good to go, provided you’re a FFL.
It’s even easier now. They now make you register online and can pay with CC. Now you have an instant receipt that it was paid. No need to wait for the stamp for proof.

Figured I would update:

Got the call from the IOI about 2-3 weeks ago. Not great timing as everyone I needed to work with was on vacation but we got it handled. Very nice guy to deal with. I did have a bit of a panic when the person at the business license office decided she didnt want to make the call they had already told me and kicked it up the chain to someone I hadn't talked to, but it worked out after a couple days.

Got the first interview setup for the 16th. They are doing it 2 part now - a teams meeting to discuss, go over details and questions. Then an in person for a look around and sign off.

If you think that you might want to get one, go ahead and apply for your C&R. Apparently since I was the RP on my 03 it made the background check part get mostly skipped and go directly to the IOI

I'm looking at laser engravers right now. Between making it easy to start making my own and marking them I can also see potential business if the AFT does go backward on braces with people converting to SBR. Plus there is always side money for engraving crap.

Had my teams interview yesterday. Just going over forms and questions I had. Super helpful, ATF guy told me he wished supressors weren't regulated. Came by today for a 45 minute visit. Showed him the shop, discussed a few thing, he showed me where to order forms and set me up with a base package of what he recommended. Signed the form - in about 2 weeks I'll be an 07 FFL. Fuck yeah

Got my FFL today. Giggling like a schoolgirl

Laser shows up mondayish. Need a few days to get through the city business license nonsense

What laser did you get?
30w raycus. Based on looking around it should be plenty for the size work I am looking at (110mm work area). If I want to go bigger and business supports it the next step would probably be a 60 or 100w mopa

I was about to pull the trigger on a 50w Raycus about a year ago, then life emergencies depleted my funds. I’m still very hesitant to drop that kind of cash on Chinese tech.

I was about to pull the trigger on a 50w Raycus about a year ago, then life emergencies depleted my funds. I’m still very hesitant to drop that kind of cash on Chinese tech.
I waffled for that very reason for a long time. Theres a pretty active discord community with lasereverything. They list a few brands to avoid but it sounds like most are pretty solid if you go with Raycus or jpt sources. There is a company - lasersonly.com that is US based, its chinese equipment but US support and warranty like the plasma cutter industry went to

It makes some sense that chinese lasers would be decent. Look at how much stuff they sell that needs laser marking. From microchips, electronic parts, car interior parts and decorative stuff there is a ton of need. Makes me think their development for these was more for internal use and less "make cheap crap the gringos will buy"

Top Back Refresh