What's new

Who knows anything about IH loadstar trucks and transmissions?

Jblack6527

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Maybe the wrong place for this, if so please move or let me know and I'll delete and repost. Thanks.

To make a long story short, a buddy inherited a 1972 loadstar from his grandfather, and we decided to try to get the old thing running and driving. It's been sitting since the late '90s, in an old tobacco barn.
It's a 345, with what we believe to be a T-35 or 36 transmission.
We got it running after sourcing some new ignition parts and a fuel pump, but we found out some one cannibalized the transmission cap years ago. We were able to find one, but now the trans doesn't shift into first or reverse. Just feels like nothing is there. It used to drive, and the trans itself never left the truck. Second through fifth seem to work fine. Anyone have any idea from the pics if I'm missing something?

Attachments

• 20230102_185425.jpg
    20230102_185425.jpg
    685.3 KB · Views: 141
  • 20230102_185400.jpg
    20230102_185400.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 61
  • T35-1.jpg.6c85ed2b5dcbcb821f391b86d022fff2.jpg
    T35-1.jpg.6c85ed2b5dcbcb821f391b86d022fff2.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 54
  • T35-2.thumb.jpg.bfb1ebd95b3e8e1898ac566250133448.jpg
    T35-2.thumb.jpg.bfb1ebd95b3e8e1898ac566250133448.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 59
The T35 and T36 had the same shift pattern which matches the shifter knob you show. The T34 was OD and had a different shift pattern. I would pull the top cover off and make sure the roll pin or whatever holds the 1/R fork to the rail is still in place and functional.

Looks like the 1/R fork is #15 in the diagram. Pull top cover off and put in vise. Try shifting it in first and reverse while watching fork.

The T35 and T36 had the same shift pattern which matches the shifter knob you show. The T34 was OD and had a different shift pattern. I would pull the top cover off and make sure the roll pin or whatever holds the 1/R fork to the rail is still in place and functional.
All of those old OD 5spds have the same weird shift pattern because OD replaces the "tallest gear that isn't direct" gear set.

We did verify the fork is still attached to the rail, it uses a tapered set screw.

Nice trucks by the way!

We did verify the fork is still attached to the rail, it uses a tapered set screw.

Nice trucks by the way!
Is it firmly attached? I've seen loose set screws and it doesn't have to be very loose either. Did you try using a pry bar with the top off and seeing if the 1/R collar moves? Also make sure the tip of the shifter is engaging the fork. Check rail and fork for being bent.

Is it firmly attached? I've seen loose set screws and it doesn't have to be very loose either. Did you try using a pry bar with the top off and seeing if the 1/R collar moves? Also make sure the tip of the shifter is engaging the fork. Check rail and fork for being bent.
It is firmly attached, we checked to make sure. Do you know off hand if the slot in the dog or whatever it's called is supposed to face inward toward the other rails, or outward toward the case?
Edit: part #11 in the schematic
I didn't check that, was too wrapped up assuming I did something wrong.

It is firmly attached, we checked to make sure. Do you know off hand if the slot in the dog or whatever it's called is supposed to face inward toward the other rails, or outward toward the case?
Edit: part #11 in the schematic
I didn't check that, was too wrapped up assuming I did something wrong.
My manual shows it facing outward but I don't see how that is right. The slot I think should be inward because that is what the tip of the shifter engages when you pull it all the way over to you for first and reverse. I have a parts T35 I can pull the top off of sometime this week and get back to you with pictures.

My manual shows it facing outward but I don't see how that is right. The slot I think should be inward because that is what the tip of the shifter engages when you pull it all the way over to you for first and reverse. I have a parts T35 I can pull the top off of sometime this week and get back to you with pictures.
I've tried both ways, and neither seems to work. I very much appreciate your help.

On Toyota transmissions, it's possible to install the top cover and miss the reverse selector fork, meaning the trans gets locked in reverse and a forward gear at the same time. Can't shift it, and feels like nothing is there.

Is it possible the same thing is happening to this trans?

On Toyota transmissions, it's possible to install the top cover and miss the reverse selector fork, meaning the trans gets locked in reverse and a forward gear at the same time. Can't shift it, and feels like nothing is there.

Is it possible the same thing is happening to this trans?
Good question. OP, have you tried moving the truck in 2-5? If it's stuck in two gears truck won't move, be careful trying as you can break things by popping the clutch.

Good question. OP, have you tried moving the truck in 2-5? If it's stuck in two gears truck won't move, be careful trying as you can break things by popping the clutch.
Haven't tried actually moving it, just verified that in 2-5 it will actually kill the motor when you ease the clutch out. It will go into neutral, and 1&R are just more neutrals.

I'll get one of my spare T35/36 trans top covers pulled end of the week or this coming weekend and get some pictures "all up in its goodies".

I'll get one of my spare T35/36 trans top covers pulled end of the week or this coming weekend and get some pictures "all up in its goodies".
Much appreciated, will be nice to see if something is missing/broken/etc.

Call Jay's Automotive in Fitchburg and ask him who own's the one that's been sitting in his parking lot for a year and if it's for sale.

Edit: on second thought I don't think it's a crew cab.
Yeah, need a travel crew... but pics of that one?

Ok, maybe I've learned something?
I found a factory service manual, and it shows a bolt in the side of the shifter housing, along with a "1st and reverse speed shift block" to engage the dog.
My shifter doesn't have a hole for a bolt, and if there was a block of some kind, it's long gone.

Maybe I have the wrong shifter?

Attachments

• 20230127_204457.jpg
    20230127_204457.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 16
  • 20230127_204503.jpg
    20230127_204503.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 16
  • 20230127_204507.jpg
    20230127_204507.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 16
Top Back Refresh