What's new

which of these is least likely to get pulled over...

RV fifth wheel hitch
engine drive air compressor to release the brakes because fuck crawling around and caging brakes
maybe a trolley brake valve on hoses into the cab mounted to a 2x4 wedged in the seat or whatever, if you want trailer brakes

And I don't think I've ever seen a converter dolly in real life.
I saw one behind a farm tractor
was kinda neat, it had a dropout third housing without the cover on the back (thought they were all welded on, huh) so you could see the axleshafts poking in there

My guess is paying a tow company $500 to move it to your location double much cheaper then the clapped out dolly alone, plus the stack of tickets from Barney Fife not to mention what nightmare you’ll end up in if you wad that white trash mobile home hauling idea of yours down the highway.
nobody wants to move scrap price storage trailers short of sticking it onto a drop deck
or at least I've never been able to find someone willing to

mn is communists :c
iirc there isn't even an exemption for air brake RVs, you need a CDL

Swing by a Penske I bet they’ll rent you a box truck with air brakes without checking your license:lmao: they do in Pennsylvania, Vermont, & New Jersey.

Pennsylvania has a separate airbrake endorsement available. Don’t know about Vermont or Jersey.

Arse if the blue line gives you any trouble just say it’s an RV, there’s no restrictions on those things.

RV fifth wheel hitch
engine drive air compressor to release the brakes because fuck crawling around and caging brakes
maybe a trolley brake valve on hoses into the cab mounted to a 2x4 wedged in the seat or whatever, if you want trailer brakes

Or utilize the 2nd word in the term "slack adjuster" .

Or utilize the 2nd word in the term "slack adjuster" .
huh I suppose that'd work if you weren't looking to use the service chambers

I just gotta overcomplicate shit "trying to do it as right as I can"
aka, just the guy that'd get fucked with the most

Can't have a 53' trailer behind a vehicle titled as a truck. There's combination length limits for a truck-trailer. One exemption Michigan has is for car haulers with a stinger 5th.

Pulling it with a vehicle titled as a tractor is the best way.

These length limits are exactly why hot shots with pickups pull the bed. Soon as it is titled as a tractor you can haul a 53' on a 5th wheel.
What part of any of this made you think that’s relevant to his interests?

Since I don't know what state you live in I'm not gonna warm up my crayons to explain your regulations to you. But it's painfully obvious you don't understand what a CDL is and how it relates to air brakes or load capacity.

K...except CDL rules are federal, not state.

Maybe you should try finger paint.

exactly
air brakes = cdl in mn
they won't give you an air brake endorsement on any non commercial license
even on the million dollar geriatric's pride wind dancer RV

Because it isn't a commercial motor vehicle, which is the only type vehicle that requires a CDL.

Words mean things. Same reason my 750, which is a CMV, but is under 26k GVWR does not require a CDL.

Air brake restrictions are only available on CDLs. If a vehicle does not require a CDL, they can't require a restriction that is only available on CDLs.

PS Air brakes are not an endorsement.

Because it isn't a commercial motor vehicle, which is the only type vehicle that requires a CDL.

Words mean things. Same reason my 750, which is a CMV, but is under 26k GVWR does not require a CDL.

Air brake restrictions are only available on CDLs. If a vehicle does not require a CDL, they can't require a restriction that is only available on CDLs.

PS Air brakes are not an endorsement.
bottom of the page

Swing by a Penske I bet they’ll rent you a box truck with air brakes without checking your license:lmao: they do in Pennsylvania, Vermont, & New Jersey.

Pennsylvania has a separate airbrake endorsement available. Don’t know about Vermont or Jersey.

Arse if the blue line gives you any trouble just say it’s an RV, there’s no restrictions on those things.
In NJ if the vehicle you test with does not have air brakes you have a "no air brake " restriction on the license.

I paid a guy with a road tractor $300 to move a shitbox 48' flat deck with an old circular sawmill on top back to my place. Less than 20 mile journey. I went through it before hand to make sure it was ready to roll. Had to use a chisel to bust up the brake shoes and take them out in chunks because it was all rusted up. No brakes, no lights, ancient tires. So we did it on a Sunday morning and it went just fine.

Love to see that drive down Donner Summit on rte 80, the Grapevine (Tejon Pass grade) on rte 5 or the Cuesta grade on rte 101. The batteries would surely be charged :homer:

What part of any of this made you think that’s relevant to his interests?

Screenshot_20240427-182702.png

And they are written in a way that is confusing enough one can ask 3 different DOT cops the same question and get 5 different answers.

I got pulled over by one several years back, he was on a fishing expedition. Load was tarped, everything was in order. He says I needed to have the sides of the tarp tied down. Not what the law says. But I didn't argue at the time and he didn't find anything else wrong and let me go.

Our local landscape association does a mock DOT and Dept of Ag inspection once a year. So I asked the DOT cop there about tying down the sides of the tarp...he says: That's not the law. I told him that's not what your fellow officer told me.

DOT cops are 10x worse than regular cops...or even small town cops.

And they are written in a way that is confusing enough one can ask 3 different DOT cops the same question and get 5 different answers.

I got pulled over by one several years back, he was on a fishing expedition. Load was tarped, everything was in order. He says I needed to have the sides of the tarp tied down. Not what the law says. But I didn't argue at the time and he didn't find anything else wrong and let me go.

Our local landscape association does a mock DOT and Dept of Ag inspection once a year. So I asked the DOT cop there about tying down the sides of the tarp...he says: That's not the law. I told him that's not what your fellow officer told me.

DOT cops are 10x worse than regular cops...or even small town cops.
The state cops around here do DOT enforcement, are pretty easy to avoid, and if you look noncommercial they leave you alone.

What you have to watch out for is some douche-bag local cop who just took some DOT/CMV training to fulfill whatever the continuing education requirement the "we're a rich town so naturally we hassle the poors" municipality he works for requires. Avoiding small town main streets is gonna put you onto the highways where the state cops will be though...

The state cops around here do DOT enforcement, are pretty easy to avoid, and if you look noncommercial they leave you alone.

What you have to watch out for is some douche-bag local cop who just took some DOT/CMV training to fulfill whatever the continuing education requirement the "we're a rich town so naturally we hassle the poors" municipality he works for requires. Avoiding small town main streets is gonna put you onto the highways where the state cops will be though...

Had one local muni that had one of these asshats for a couple years. They also "require" a license for snow plowing. Dickhead was pulling over anyone that drove through the city with a plow, whether they were plowing or not.

The 2 cities that did have them no longer do.

I don't bother with licenses for each city. Grand Rapids does it only so they can make sure an income tax return is filed in the city. They don't do any inspections of the trucks, not even a visual. They take a week. The rest you can walk in, fill out the form, get robbed and leave with the license. But none of them follow their own rules for license requirements, so why should I?

You mean the part were "endorsement" isn't de facto restriction?

Either way, there is nothing stated about RVs because they are not commercial motor vehicles.

Look at it this way...if you're not operating a motorcycle, they can't require you to have a motorcycle endorsement.

My 750 at 25,990 does not require a CDL, despite having air brakes. Or when I mount my 1,500 gallon deicing sprayer on it, no need for a tanker endorsement because the truck does not require a CDL.

An RV with airbrakes does not require a CDL because it is not a commercial motor vehicle.

Top Back Refresh