What's new

which of these is least likely to get pulled over...

arse_sidewards

Contrary to everything
Member Number
Which of these is least likely to get pulled over?
  • a 99-04 Superduty towing a 53ft trailer on a converter dolly
  • A Uhaul MDT towing a towing a 53ft trailer on a converter dolly
  • clapped out 1960s-80s MDT dump truck towing a 53ft trailer on a converter dolly
  • a clapped out 60s-80s MDT with a 5th wheel towing a 53ft trailer the normal way

Was browsing converter dollys and clapped out equipment on CL and figured I'd post this shit up to entertain you. :flipoff2:

Slap one of these on an aerostar and hitch up the converter dolly

1714138876615.png

So the visible absence of brakes are gonna be the sticking point more so than the obvious "not gonna pass a roadside inspection, clearly over GVW factor" of a clapped out old MDT in front of a semi trailer?

i would love to see a 99 superduty towing a 53 foot van on a converter. See it on the news, see it in the BDL thread. That’s what I’d recommend! :flipoff2::usa:
You see people doing it because it works. :flipoff2:

I know that the geometry of a grain wagon isn't exactly great for shooting down the highway but this would be meandering New England back roads. Throw 3k in the bed for ballast and it should be fine. :laughing:

1: MDT/5th wheel
b. MDT/dolly
I would have figured that that would attract more attention because "obvious commercial motor vehicle" vs appearance of ignorance with the uhaul or "normal people own these as personal vehicles" sized truck.

The trailer would be empty. Sorry not sorry if that wasn't obvious. :flipoff2:

the more important question is what are you gonna do with the trailer? :flipoff2:

Cops here love to pull over old dump trucks and fuck over farmers.
Noted. Not sure how that transfers to here. Farmers seem left alone, generally
And I don't think I've ever seen a converter dolly in real life.
Are doubles legal in syrup land? All the LTL carriers run dual pups around here.

You are telling me with your personality and knowledge that you don’t have a friend with a legit tractor that could hitch up to your trailer and drop it off ?

I didn’t think so.
I know a guy in Maine who'd happily do it but for the diesel he'd burn to get to me I could pay someone to haul.

Throw some hay bales in the super duty bed, make a magnetic sign for the super duty that say “Sideways Farms” or something and dress like a farmer. At least around here, you could drag a ballistic missile through town with a tacoma and no one would say shit.

What does that have to do with anything?
Will a Ford fucking ranger pull a 53' semi trailer? You're gawdamned right it could but any popo with a room temperature IQ can finger out that it ain't got no way to operate them airbrakes making it an illegal move.

Hook it up to an f750 and it'll look odd but not out of the realm of reasonable legality.

Will a Ford fucking ranger pull a 53' semi trailer? You're gawdamned right it could but any popo with a room temperature IQ can finger out that it ain't got no way to operate them airbrakes making it an illegal move.

Hook it up to an f750 and it'll look odd but not out of the realm of reasonable legality.

I have an F750 with air brakes, no CDL required.

Throw some hay bales in the super duty bed, make a magnetic sign for the super duty that say “Sideways Farms” or something and dress like a farmer. At least around here, you could drag a ballistic missile through town with a tacoma and no one would say shit.
My trucks will always say “my last name” Farms on the side, cops don’t look twice

The west coast people (the helpful ones at least) seem to be saying one thing and the northeast seem to be saying the opposite.

All else being equal I'm going to go with what the people who live in a society with less street shitting and auto theft have to say. :flipoff2:

$1k clapped out converter dolly here I come. :laughing:

Tractor with SMV sign is #1

Practically anything else dressed like something a farmer would use with some fucks given to lighting is #2. Go haul at 7am Sunday Morning and stay off the Interstate highway system.

Top Back Refresh