What's new

Where the hell is the ammo going?

Opened a brick of cci stingers and the boxes were in backwards and the labels were sloppy, same with 100ct mini mags. Maybe they always were but seems like they may be running the line faster than usual. Seen some visual qc issues slip through posted on Reddit.

I don't have that much 9mm, a couple K in boxes, 500 rounds already in colt AR mags and hk mags. If I had 7k packed up, I'd sell 5k for $1 a round and not feel bad one bit

I did sell some 5.56 towards the end of last year. I’m keeping the 9mm.

I’ve been seeing a little bit more of it around here lately. Stopped seeking it out for a little while since it hadn’t been worth it, the Academy truck that started this whole post came on Wednesdays and Sundays. Typically it was sold out to people waiting in the line outside on Wednesday, even with their limit. Went in around 1 pm this Wednesday and there was actually a bunch of Blazer 9mm on the shelf for $18/50. A few other things as well. Driving by there Thursday am people were lined up again, so they might be getting more trucks in also.

One thing I heard from a seemingly knowledgeable employee at my gun shop is they were claiming they weren’t making any hunting ammo this year. His statement was they generally run it all every other year and then release it before each season. Since there has been so much demand for FMJ stuff and switching machines created down time, they were just going to keep running things as they are now. Obviously they might change their minds by the end of summer, but I’d plan for it.

I’m sure things will start becoming available again just in time for Queen Kamala and her puppet to ramp up a major gun control push and set it back again. :mad3:

looking for a relatively sane-priced source for 223 match. im full up on 556 m193 but have limited 223 match ammo.

looking for a relatively sane-priced source for 223 match. im full up on 556 m193 but have limited 223 match ammo.

No luck there. Magtech is no longer producing the MK262 Mod 1 77g SMK ammo due to losing their contract with Sierra. You can still find it occasionaly by IMI, but it's near buck a round and Gold Medal Match is $2 if you can find it. I've got a good load for 77g SMK and Alliant Power Pro Varmint. Getting high 2700's, and single digit SD's out of my 20" AR, and because I bought all the components over the past few years, it's costing me about $.40 ea...if you don't count the hours of brass prep I have in them. SGA used to sell 600 round crates of Lapua 55g loaded .223 for 40 cents a round, so I bought two as blasting ammo, and now I have the brass for precision shooting.

I don't see it changing anytime soon.

No luck there. Magtech is no longer producing the MK262 Mod 1 77g SMK ammo due to losing their contract with Sierra. You can still find it occasionaly by IMI, but it's near buck a round and Gold Medal Match is $2 if you can find it. I've got a good load for 77g SMK and Alliant Power Pro Varmint. Getting high 2700's, and single digit SD's out of my 20" AR, and because I bought all the components over the past few years, it's costing me about $.40 ea...if you don't count the hours of brass prep I have in them. SGA used to sell 600 round crates of Lapua 55g loaded .223 for 40 cents a round, so I bought two as blasting ammo, and now I have the brass for precision shooting.

I don't see it changing anytime soon.

finding a little bit of match 75 grainers for $1 a round. yeah, it hurts, but im ok with it for this bolt gun as thats what i used to pay for 308 FGMM when i was buying it and stacking it deep.

I was at Cabela's last night and they don't even have ammo shelves anymore. The ammo shelves had all been empty for months, I guess they finally gave up and started putting other stuff on them.

I'd say ammo isn't catching up anytime soon.

My neighbor went to the Cabelas near me almost 2 weeks ago on a Saturday bright and early. He said some employee told him "Hey we got a truck full of ammo... line starts there". They had a special section for it. He scored 1k rnds of 5.56 and like 200 rnds of 9. His son got 200 rnds of subsonic 300BO and 100rnds of 45 and 100 rnds of 40. He said they were near the front of the line. By the time they got through and checked out that area was cleaned out. Also said prices were not outrageous, $450 for the 1k rnds. Not great but.. Pissed because I was supposed to go with them for the trip and I decided I'd rather sleep in. Oh well... early bird gets the worm.

My neighbor went to the Cabelas near me almost 2 weeks ago on a Saturday bright and early. He said some employee told him "Hey we got a truck full of ammo... line starts there". They had a special section for it. He scored 1k rnds of 5.56 and like 200 rnds of 9. His son got 200 rnds of subsonic 300BO and 100rnds of 45 and 100 rnds of 40. He said they were near the front of the line. By the time they got through and checked out that area was cleaned out. Also said prices were not outrageous, $450 for the 1k rnds. Not great but.. Pissed because I was supposed to go with them for the trip and I decided I'd rather sleep in. Oh well... early bird gets the worm.

I did get a few boxes of 9mm earlier this year at Cabela's. They seem to be selling at normal prices when they have it at least.

I went ahead and bit the bullet and bought 1000 rounds of 147 gr remanufactured 300BO for $0.99 per round. Ten minutes after I placed my order, they were "out of stock".

I have 500-600 rounds left that I bought for $0.47 per round a couple of years ago but it will be gone after my two brothers come down for the week.:laughing:

Still can't find any 30-30 ammo except for few wanting $2 to $3 plus a round on gun broker..

Still can't find any 30-30 ammo except for few wanting $2 to $3 plus a round on gun broker..

I’d imagine that stuff will be scare enough for awhile. Lately all I’ve seen in pistol, 5.56, 7.62x51, and the Russian stuff for the most part (imported). For some reason there have been small amounts of newer fad calibers dribbling out like .224 Valkyrie, and .450 Bushmaster. Bass Pro has had about 10 boxes of 6.8 Western and 6mm Creedmoor sitting on the shelf for a couple months.

Groundhogs are starting to pop up and I need ammo. Where the hell is it all at?!

I need .223 55gr. Hornady VMax and .17 Hornet 20gr. Hornady VMax. Almost everyone is out of stock.

This is bullshit.

I was at Cabela's last night and they don't even have ammo shelves anymore. The ammo shelves had all been empty for months, I guess they finally gave up and started putting other stuff on them.

I'd say ammo isn't catching up anytime soon.
Runnings near me did the same thing, they went from 4 aisles of ammo to 1 aisle.

Aaron Z

A friend saw 9,40,45,762x39 at a store Friday and asked me if I needed anything. I don’t but it was good to hear there was ammo.

Groundhogs are starting to pop up and I need ammo. Where the hell is it all at?!

I need .223 55gr. Hornady VMax and .17 Hornet 20gr. Hornady VMax. Almost everyone is out of stock.

This is bullshit.
hahahahaha ha

good luck, kid

This is bullshit.
$2/ea on gunbroker. I have a couple hundred 53g vmax superformance for coyotes. That’s the stuff that will break a carbine.

$2/ea on gunbroker. I have a couple hundred 53g vmax superformance for coyotes. That’s the stuff that will break a carbine.

What’s that Superformance FPS? I’ll bet it’s burning hot.

I ordered some Winchester Varmint X up from CTD. Hopefully the AR groups well with it. This Rock River Arms rifle has seriously impressed me with grouping from a 16.5” barrel. The VMax is 1 MOA with the factory trigger. A lighter pull would probably tighten it up some.

What’s that Superformance FPS? I’ll bet it’s burning hot.

I ordered some Winchester Varmint X up from CTD. Hopefully the AR groups well with it. This Rock River Arms rifle has seriously impressed me with grouping from a 16.5” barrel. The VMax is 1 MOA with the factory trigger. A lighter pull would probably tighten it up some.
It’s only 1-200 FPS faster than normal ammo. No big deal.

Cruised Academy this weekend. They had a whopping 2 boxes of buckshot and a few boxes of turkey load. That was it.

We had a benefit sporting clay shoot Saturday, there was a pallet of shells. It seems the business' depending on ammo are in priority over the retailers.

I was at BI-Mart the other day. They had 7.62, limit 2 boxes. 10 gauge and 22 gauge shotgun.

We had a benefit sporting clay shoot Saturday, there was a pallet of shells. It seems the business' depending on ammo are in priority over the retailers.
Yep, cops and corrections haven't slowed down training one bit. I'd put money on production pulled from slower selling stuff to keep the 9 & 5.56 supply going.

Was talking to a friend who's kid shoots clays and they worked something out with a local distributor, not cheap but they can get what they need.

Aaron Z

Yep, cops and corrections haven't slowed down training one bit. I'd put money on production pulled from slower selling stuff to keep the 9 & 5.56 supply going.
And where are you hearing this? Most of the depts LE and corrections I have connections with, and its a lot, are limiting their training severly. Only the really large agencies and depts that have long term contracts are business as usual. Even some of the firearms manufacturers with ammo contracts for testing are feeling the pinch.

And where are you hearing this? Most of the depts LE and corrections I have connections with, and its a lot, are limiting their training severly. Only the really large agencies and depts that have long term contracts are business as usual. Even some of the firearms manufacturers with ammo contracts for testing are feeling the pinch.
From the rangemasters the co I work with buys brass from. va, nj & md.

public range in ny we service has pallets of ammo, "we never run out of ammo"

Remington ammo was back on the shelves locally.

If Vista can get Remington back to full tilt I think we'll see stuff normalize. Their entire production stopping suddenly during the rest of the crazy certainly had an impact.

I just want my damn X5 legion I ordered in December.

Where I live all the big box stores like Walmart and Dicks have quit selling ammo all together. That just leaves actual gun stores and Big 5 pretty much, so now everyone in town has to go to the same few stores and it gets bought out faster. I went to the nearest bass pro the other day and the "We don't have..." sign was almost a whole page long.

I blame panic buyers and scalpers mostly, but I'm sure reduced staffing at the factories and along the supply chain due to covid is making it worse. This always seems to hit California the hardest. A dense population, anti-gun state and local governments, and fewer choices to buy really chokes us more than other states.

Top Back Refresh