What's new

Where the hell is the ammo going?

Exactly so.....wtf?

Seems theres something else in play here. I'm not a tin foil type person but I'm not sure I'm buying people hording shit that's not what one would consider "popular".

What you think the machines that make 30-30 can only make that one round? When everyone is out of everything you don't think they would focus more heavily on certain popular rounds?

Do you think the copper/brass/steel/lead for 45-70 can only but used for that round?

You think that they would focus on the 10,000 9mm orders they have or the 50 45-70 orders they have?

What you think the machines that make 30-30 can only make that one round? When everyone is out of everything you don't think they would focus more heavily on certain popular rounds?

Do you think the copper/brass/steel/lead for 45-70 can only but used for that round?

You think that they would focus on the 10,000 9mm orders they have or the 50 45-70 orders they have?

Well....I guess you have a point.

Asshole...:flipoff2:

Exactly so.....wtf?

Seems theres something else in play here. I'm not a tin foil type person but I'm not sure I'm buying people hording shit that's not what one would consider "popular".

That’s one that actually makes more sense to me. .30-30 isn’t a good example as it’s still relatively common, but many of the “outdated” cartridges are done in seasonal runs rather than produced consistently. The guy that usually goes to buy his 1 box of ammo twice a year has been trying since May with no luck. Suddenly he goes in and there are 6 boxes on the shelf, he is more likely to buy all of them than just the typical 1.

Regarding the conspiracy stuff, I’m not saying it’s being done by the leftists or the government, but in most cases I think you can solve the riddle by “following the $.”

Do I think that certain people at large companies would sell their allocated ammo to the highest bidder rather than for normal prices in their stores? It’s plausible. I don’t think the guy unloading the truck can just steal it and go throw it on gunbroker, but employees might be buying whatever they are allowed to and putting it up on there. If I made $50/day, didn’t give a shit about gun rights, and could make a quick $100 by posting a listing and dropping by UPS I probably would.

Again, there are plenty of other explanations such as materials shortages, or the more reputable retailers refusing to pay inflated prices, but I haven’t seen much that’s definitive other than “supply and demand.” While I don’t doubt that, everything else has come back. Chicken, TP, weights, etc.

That, 45-70, 444, etc. None of that is tacticool.

I'm not arguing that 45-70 isn't tacticool, but in the last few years Iowa (I'm not sure if any other states) have opened up deer hunting to include straight wall cartridges. Until recently, deer hunting was shotgun and muzzle loader only - our area here has been flooded with 45-70, 350 Legend, etc. rifles and ammunition that is selling as soon as it hits the shop floor.
Here about 4 months ago I went to our local sporting goods store and the ammo shelves were bare... besides .22/.22LR. I thought that was the oddest thing.

My husband did bring up a (self-admitted) tight tinfoil point when talking about causes behind ammo shortages - if ammo is scarce, then folks aren't target shooting, then folks aren't highly accurate when it comes to say, defending themselves in case of a revolution.

Also... the whole COVID thing. My workforce has been at max absenteeism of highs around 40% of wage employees during the peak of the scare. We are not meeting production goals and having to prioritize every decision every day. I can't imagine how they are prioritizing.

I think it's still getting out there, it just disappears as soon as it hits the shelf. the local Academy, Wal-mart, etc. has lines of people out the door at 6am on “ammo delivery day”: that’s a standard contracted order which would normally cover a week, but it lasts ten minutes now. The distributors are at the same level as those big retailers, and their orders go out the door to whatever customers pay the most or the fastest: your average LGS don’t have contracted rates for four pallets of .223. The industry just can’t handle the demand when people who normally shoot 50 rounds a year still think they need to buy 500 rounds “just since i can get it”

They’re not going to make just huge capital investments in capacity, since, well, they’ve seen this before, and it doesn’t really last: easier to just squeeze every available ounce of overtime out of the guy they’ve just about overworked to death anyway, he’s good with it because of the money.

Just a matter of waiting it out until your average guy on the street doesn’t see a need to be a hoarder that month.

I think it's still getting out there, it just disappears as soon as it hits the shelf. the local Academy, Wal-mart, etc. has lines of people out the door at 6am on “ammo delivery day”: that’s a standard contracted order which would normally cover a week, but it lasts ten minutes now. The distributors are at the same level as those big retailers, and their orders go out the door to whatever customers pay the most or the fastest: your average LGS don’t have contracted rates for four pallets of .223. The industry just can’t handle the demand when people who normally shoot 50 rounds a year still think they need to buy 500 rounds “just since i can get it”

They’re not going to make just huge capital investments in capacity, since, well, they’ve seen this before, and it doesn’t really last: easier to just squeeze every available ounce of overtime out of the guy they’ve just about overworked to death anyway, he’s good with it because of the money.

Just a matter of waiting it out until your average guy on the street doesn’t see a need to be a hoarder that month.

Again, that has been the way it’s worked the last several months here. Now those Academy and Bass Pro trucks people are waiting on have had single digit numbers or even ZERO boxes of ammo on them. This doesn’t appear to be isolated to my area from what I’ve seen lately from other areas also.

Prices should be a bit higher to counter the increase in demand.

Last edited:
i dont know where its going, but i have been releasing a bunch of ammo into the wild lately. Setting it free, back to the earth from whence it came.

I have too and it feels really good, doesn't it. :smokin:

Prices should be a bit higher to counter the increase in demand.

Think that’s part of the problem, even if you were being sarcastic. Where it’s available a $1/round (some local gun shops, gunbroker), it does stay there awhile. When it does show up at the big box stores, it’s still around normal prices, or $0.50/round max.

Seems like if they bumped things up a bit it would squash the people buying it purely to resell, and temper those stocking all they can for personal use.

Again, that has been the way it’s worked the last several months here. Now those Academy and Bass Pro trucks people are waiting on have had single digit numbers or even ZERO boxes of ammo on them. This doesn’t appear to be isolated to my area from what I’ve seen lately from other areas also.

I guess they're shipping it all here. We still have the 18 wheelers, still have the lines of neckbeards, etc.. Academy did make some changes to stop the "secondary market", at least some locations moved all the 9mm and 223 behind the counter where they could just hand out a 3-box per person per day limit rather than have the idiots come in there and clean off the pallet before it hit the shelf.. The shelves still look bare, but they've actually got some in stock if you go ask.

Think that’s part of the problem, even if you were being sarcastic. Where it’s available a $1/round (some local gun shops, gunbroker), it does stay there awhile. When it does show up at the big box stores, it’s still around normal prices, or $0.50/round max.

Seems like if they bumped things up a bit it would squash the people buying it purely to resell, and temper those stocking all they can for personal use.

No sarcasm, it's Econ101 stuff. If supply can't match the demand, prices increase. It should probably keep increasing until some tipping point is reached. Of course, that's about when those who scream price gouge pipe up.

Last edited:
I think it is getting to the shelves but the demand is crazy and once word gets out its gone. Our local armory received a shipment two weeks ago of 85,000 rounds with a 5 box limit and it was gone before the end of the day.

Academy did make some changes to stop the "secondary market",

Know what the one change they could make that would end that?
Pricing it as the market dictates.

but no, people are whiny twofaced ****s that bitch about ctd charging 2 bucks a round for garbage 9x19 as though they're to blame and not the consumers that decided that it is worth that kind of markup

https://www.theamericanmarksman.com...120699606&mc_cid=a18c039a7d&mc_eid=3e36e50d84

STRYKER - 5.56 BALL 55 GR SCP (COPPER) - 250 CT

Part Number: F-ST-556-55CP-B-250
Review(s) (2) Write a Review
Your Price: $197.50
Retail Price:$217.25
Your Savings:$19.75(9%)
5.56x45 ammunition with a 55 Grain Solid Copper Bullet & Brass Case.
Price Per Round: $0.79
Availability: In Stock

That's still $800 bucks for a 1000 rds. :laughing: NOPE.

Last time I purchased 5.56, I paid 289 bucks for a 1000 rds. And I thought that was out of line. I'll wait.... I'm a patient guy.

That's still $800 bucks for a 1000 rds. :laughing: NOPE.

Last time I purchased 5.56, I paid 289 bucks for a 1000 rds. And I thought that was out of line. I'll wait.... I'm a patient guy.

Plus tax and shipping. Not sure why bigun wasted his time posting that.

Prolly because it's STILL cheaper than the 1000 dollars for 1k rds. advertised lately...:lmao:

Not after tax and shipping and whatever made up fees they charge these days. :flipoff2:

I think it is getting to the shelves but the demand is crazy and once word gets out its gone. Our local armory received a shipment two weeks ago of 85,000 rounds with a 5 box limit and it was gone before the end of the day.

This, mostly scalpers.

Man, is it just me, or is it actually getting worse?

Last few weeks I've been buying ammo here and there at fairly normal prices via manufacturer websites and even a couple in store purchases. It was a trickle, but it was constant. This week, there is next to nothing and what is there the prices are rapidly climbing. 2 weeks ago I paid $34 a box, this week it's $41 for .224 Valkyrie.

Any guess when we hit peak panic? Seems to still be accelerating.

And before you point fingers, I'm not the hoarder, scalper guy. I'm the dumbass who actually likes to shoot guns.

Man, is it just me, or is it actually getting worse?

Last few weeks I've been buying ammo here and there at fairly normal prices via manufacturer websites and even a couple in store purchases. It was a trickle, but it was constant. This week, there is next to nothing and what is there the prices are rapidly climbing. 2 weeks ago I paid $34 a box, this week it's $41 for .224 Valkyrie.

Any guess when we hit peak panic? Seems to still be accelerating.

And before you point fingers, I'm not the hoarder, scalper guy. I'm the dumbass who actually likes to shoot guns.

well, it probably has to do with the fed government throwing stimulus money into every single person's account who makes less than $150k. couple that with the typical tax refund season and people have a shitload of "extra" disposable income burning a hole in their pockets.

supply and demand. the supply is the same, and the government is driving demand up by infusing capital into the system. some people MIGHT call it inflation.

I found someone online last week selling 115g 9mm for .75 a round. Thats insane.

I have been able to find powder, for both my pistol and rifle, but primers are non existant.

2 weeks ago I paid $34 a box, this week it's $41 for .224 Valkyrie.
got some 75gr fed AE I'd be glad to be rid of for 30 a box

got 4 boxes by accident when walmart was closing out on everything fun, I was just a little excited at the 10 cent brass cased .223

I bought two 600 round cases of PMC 855 TAC. Nice ammo on stripper clips and sealed in 200 round pvc bags, I don't shoot that stuff but I thought it would be good for long term storage. Paid about $260 for each case and put it up on Armslist for $500. Dude pings me and says, "Will you take $400", and I replied "No. Why would I?". He called me a douche, and then later messaged me that he'd pay the full $500, and I let him know I sold it to someone else. Fuck him, should have planned ahead.

I bought two 600 round cases of PMC 855 TAC. Nice ammo on stripper clips and sealed in 200 round pvc bags, I don't shoot that stuff but I thought it would be good for long term storage. Paid about $260 for each case and put it up on Armslist for $500. Dude pings me and says, "Will you take $400", and I replied "No. Why would I?". He called me a douche, and then later messaged me that he'd pay the full $500, and I let him know I sold it to someone else. Fuck him, should have planned ahead.

You should have told him the douche price was 600

I have over 7k rounds of 115 gr. 9mm right now. I haven’t bought ammo in 3 years nor plan on it for a few more.

I don't have that much 9mm, a couple K in boxes, 500 rounds already in colt AR mags and hk mags. If I had 7k packed up, I'd sell 5k for $1 a round and not feel bad one bit

Top Back Refresh