What's new

Whats new with the scx24?

YotaAtieToo

Thick skull
Member Number
Loc
Bonners Ferry, ID
Bought 3 for the kids about 4 years ago. Went through lots of motors, a few esc's and servos. After getting kinda over it, they sat for 2 1/2" years and I just dug them all out. So maybe I'm behind the times.

What I remember:

Got a few of the cheap "emax" servo upgrades.

Horizon was cool and sent 3 motors, 3 servos and 3 esc's after I told them how many issues I had.

The motors seem to be the main issue, they just stop working out of no where. I know kids are rough on things, but I've had 10th scale motors hot enough to stink and melt stickers dozens of times and they usually just keep working, at least somewhat. I'd like to get more reliable motors as working on these things is a little tough with how tiny everything is.

What about tools? All I have is 1 L shaped Allen that fits the screws.

Also spare hardware would be nice, already missing a few screws and 1 wheel nut.

I'm open to other mild upgrades, but with 3 of them, it gets expensive quick :laughing:

20231224_160659.jpg

God damn, the only motor I didn't change on Xmas eve worked fine that day, then decided to just give up the ghost over night :homer:

Anyone know if they updated the motors?

Still junk. You can dump 1k into them and they'll still be shit. Slang them to a sucker and buy trx4ms and never look back.

Still junk. You can dump 1k into them and they'll still be shit. Slang them to a sucker and buy trx4ms and never look back.

If those were out when I bought these, I would have. Traxxas >>>>>>axial for reliability for sure.

For now, we have these, plus quite a few extra parts, and batteries. Not looking to spend $500 to jump ship on something they might get bored with next week :laughing:

For the most part, except the motor, these are pretty decent for the kids. Only wieght added is the stupid brass pieces that push into the wheels in front only. Not going to add any wieght or power, just want a more reliable motor. Ordered 3 hot racing motors today. Hopefully that will last them awhile.

They made a course in the house out of their magnet tiles today :smokin:

IMG_20231226_192821_01.jpg

Hot racing makes a heatsink for the motor. Makes a ton of difference. Motors just suck on them. Doesn't matter the brand.

Hot racing makes a heatsink for the motor. Makes a ton of difference. Motors just suck on them. Doesn't matter the brand.

I guess I never paid attention to the heat, I figured it wasn't the issue with how low geared they are and the tires not having a ton of grip. It does make sense though because it's just so damn small.

They're worm drive axles so they take a shit load of power to turn even in tiny scx24 size. It's why losi worm axles are garbage too. Worms aren't good in rc sizes.

Well shit…. Bought a deadbolt as a Christmas present for our son and the motor died yesterday. A Main said they had an upgraded motor that required some cutting and mods. I’ll update tomorrow when I pick it up.

Well shit…. Bought a deadbolt as a Christmas present for our son and the motor died yesterday. A Main said they had an upgraded motor that required some cutting and mods. I’ll update tomorrow when I pick it up.
050 size? The heatsink that fits the stock 030 size fits it too. Bolt pattern is the same but flipped. Motor burns up just as fast as the stock size.

What are your kids doing to burn up motors so quickly? :confused:

I have had my SCX24 for a year now and my AX24 for the best part of a year and their motors are still going strong. I have only managed to kill a stock servo on the AX24 after I locked out the servo savers. Granted l, I don't use them nearly as much as my 1/10th scale crawler.

I have had my SCX24 for a year now and my AX24 for the best part of a year and their motors are still going strong. I have only managed to kill a stock servo on the AX24 after I locked out the servo savers. Granted l, I don't use them nearly as much as my 1/10th scale crawler.
Ours quit when I was trying to do some crawling with it. The kid pretty much runs it wide open. I thought perhaps the battery was dead, but it’s either the esc or motor and the motors seem to be suspect.

I mean they're kids, 5, 6 and 11 now, but we've had them for 3 or so years.

Either way, it's not just them, the stock motors suck lots of people online with the same issue.

Well, I shit you not…. I tried two batteries with the same results (and one of those batteries was still in the rig) and the fucker worked at the shop! I still bought the upgrade parts, so here is what A Main sells as an upgrade for these. I’ll install if and when the motor actually fails. Looking at the trx4m for kid one, as she’s feeling left out.

Attachments

• IMG_9311.jpeg
    IMG_9311.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 11
The stock motors usually fail because of drag in the drivetrain, it's super easy to overtighten the front wheel nuts and cause a lot of extra friction.

The 050 motors are better and a good budget upgrade. I bought one of the first Furitek brushless setups when they came out and it's got a ton of hours on it now with no problems. My SCX24 became a black hole for cash, TGH chassis, brushless, 4WS, "big" tires etc... it's a fun little truck but I only built it because I didn't really have a good back yard spot for a bigger crawler.

No idea what scx4 means, but thought this was cool till I looked up the price.

20231210_191051.jpg

We got to our cabin and kid 2’s acted up again. Plugged in a new stock motor and it worked, so I proceeded with a motor swap. Got everything together and it smoked the esc instantly. The 50T upgraded motor is noticeably harder to turn by hand and connected to axles, pretty much impossible. Without the axles connected it turns, but with more resistance than a stock motor, connect even one axle and it may as well be bound up.

I have another esc coming up tomorrow and am now half way through swapping a stock replacement motor back in. Anyone have any insight? Does the 50T motor require an upgraded esc?

We got to our cabin and kid 2’s acted up again. Plugged in a new stock motor and it worked, so I proceeded with a motor swap. Got everything together and it smoked the esc instantly. The 50T upgraded motor is noticeably harder to turn by hand and connected to axles, pretty much impossible. Without the axles connected it turns, but with more resistance than a stock motor, connect even one axle and it may as well be bound up.

I have another esc coming up tomorrow and am now half way through swapping a stock replacement motor back in. Anyone have any insight? Does the 50T motor require an upgraded esc?

Worm gears don't backdrive easily, so it doesn't take much resistance on the input to make the output (wheels) lock up. This is especially noticeable if you are running underdrive gears like I am in my AX24.

Worm gears don't backdrive easily, so it doesn't take much resistance on the input to make the output (wheels) lock up. This is especially noticeable if you are running underdrive gears like I am in my AX24.
Thank you, I installed a new stock replacement motor and a friend brought up a new esc today. We’re back in business for now.

huh never had an issue with motor or the axle gears on my Losi. Now trans/pinion gears are a different story.

I've never had a motor problem with a SCX24, but I think I'm one of the lucky ones.

I've seen some stickers cover vent holes on the motors. Something to check into. Pull that sticker off anyway, I feel like it acts as an insulator.

Everything ran great tonight, still not sure what the issue with the 50T upgrade is.

Attachments

• IMG_9316.jpeg
    IMG_9316.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 10
Well, I shit you not…. I tried two batteries with the same results (and one of those batteries was still in the rig) and the fucker worked at the shop! I still bought the upgrade parts, so here is what A Main sells as an upgrade for these. I’ll install if and when the motor actually fails. Looking at the trx4m for kid one, as she’s feeling left out.
Once you have the trx4m in hand you're going to realize how much better Traxxas does that class of rig. The ax24s are so tiny and they run worm gears which have a shit load of drag to drive so they eat electronics for breakfast.

Once you have the trx4m in hand you're going to realize how much better Traxxas does that class of rig. The ax24s are so tiny and they run worm gears which have a shit load of drag to drive so they eat electronics for breakfast.
They were back ordered, so we got another ax24. Universal parts is appealing. We’ll see how it goes

If you bought any of them new, keep the receipt (or do what I did and call a main, they'll help you out)

Horizon is good about warranties.

They are great for kids, I put 3 of them, with remotes, extra batteries and tools in a backpack. Get the tool that fits them and working on the isn't bad.

Maybe the traxxas is better, but these aren't complete junk, besides the motors. Which is an easy fix. I also don't mind teaching the kids that stuff breaks and how to fix it.

Anyway, messed with them tonight, put the first HR motor in, seems straight forward enough. Just chop the whole leg off the battery mount on that side. Speed seems close to stock even though it's a 66t vs 88t. Haven't crawlers with it much, but maybe a little smoother on the low end?

20240102_153631.jpg
20240102_160111.jpg

Also, grab this tool. Has the dumb micro Allen size on one end and the wheel nut size on the other. Most rc kits don't have this size and that damn L wrench sucks

20240102_164949.jpg

Top Back Refresh