What's new

Whats everyone running for High Steer?

next time angle that gusset next to the plug more towards the front of the arm past the stud :smokin:

i like your "i got better shit to do with my time then make it look pretty" fab style :grinpimp:

for sure, there are many things "next time" that would make it better, stronger, cleaner and all that jazz :laughing: but it can also be done with literal scrap :flipoff2:

To those that are NOT having loosening issues with the 5th stud mod on stock knuckles, are you running hydro assist?

And does steering box matter in this equation as well?

I seemed to have more issues with arms loosening when I went to the hydro assist, fj80 box and tg knuckles. All 3 were installed at the same time so I couldn't narrow a culprit if only one were to exist.

Brian is building me a new housing right now so I may just have him do me up some arms as well. Its only money.

I can sell the TG stuff and go from there. I know itll be done right and last my lifetime I would think.

Hell, I don;t know. I may get cheap and just use what I already have but I just don't want to do it ever again

To those that are NOT having loosening issues with the 5th stud mod on stock knuckles, are you running hydro assist?

I seemed to have more issues with arms loosening when I went to the hydro assist, fj80 box and tg knuckles. All 3 were installed at the same time so I couldn't narrow a culprit if only one were to exist.

i had issues before going to a 5th stud, i did not have issues after though, hydroassist stock knuckles, stock-rated replacement studs, stock arms, stock steering box, stock power steering pump with the restictor drilled in the supply line

TG 6 guns and heims on both trucks, both have trunnion eliminators also, one is my daily driver and had no issues.

I am not having issues with the stock studs loosening, no hydro assist. I'm running the shitty forward swing ford box that scotty blows his load over but works for shit. It could be my ps pump and the fact the box is less than an inch from my exhaust manifold so it overheats pretty quick. I have all the parts to do hydro assist for that box but everytime I go to install it I go do something else. I honestly think all my studs and arm arm rusted to the knuckle itself. I have only had one stud loosen, and it has since stayed tight. I'll probably do the 5th stud, or six shooters if some fall in my lap.

I ran 4 bolt high steer arms with hydro assist, and after every ride I came home to loose arms, I had to put the wrench on them every time, After going to the 6 stud knuckles and arms I haven't had an issue.
toyota box, with hydro assist

Not high steer but still an upgrade.

7377D12C-BFB1-4E50-8432-A3AFAA3F2DA4.jpeg

FF849C0A-8C23-4B45-B8A4-85990286B184.jpeg

I am not having issues with the stock studs loosening, no hydro assist. I'm running the shitty forward swing ford box that scotty blows his load over but works for shit. It could be my ps pump and the fact the box is less than an inch from my exhaust manifold so it overheats pretty quick. I have all the parts to do hydro assist for that box but everytime I go to install it I go do something else. I honestly think all my studs and arm arm rusted to the knuckle itself. I have only had one stud loosen, and it has since stayed tight. I'll probably do the 5th stud, or six shooters if some fall in my lap.

On my last truck I always had to tighten the steering arm hardware before every trip out. I checked them before I went out every single time. I always got an eighth of a turn out of each nut. This was with no hydro assist. I was too poor to afford ARPs.

On my last truck I always had to tighten the steering arm hardware before every trip out. I checked them before I went out every single time. I always got an eighth of a turn out of each nut. This was with no hydro assist. I was too poor to afford ARPs.

Yea I check it evrey trip as well, no turns here, except one stud which is odd. I use new oem studs based off feedback from my local wheeling friends who have broken ARPs and don't break the new oem studs. I do carry a spare knuckle with me incase though.

Those are some good looking lower arms BTW:flipoff2:

Yea I check it evrey trip as well, no turns here, except one stud which is odd. I use new oem studs based off feedback from my local wheeling friends who have broken ARPs and don't break the new oem studs. I do carry a spare knuckle with me incase though.

Those are some good looking lower arms BTW:flipoff2:

Thanks. The shitty part is I never used them. :flipoff2:

IMG_8255.jpg
Sky's billet arms
Arp studs top and bottom
5th stud
lots of red loctite
37 iroks on 2.5in bs wheels and 1.5in spacers
No hydro assist
Never had them loosen, but I do carry complete spare knuckles just in case (or for friends)

I can't believe guys still run stock housings, with all the crap to make the knuckles live with spacers and no back spacing. Stock setup isn't even that bad when you run normal back spacing and not 4" of spacers. :flipoff2:

I can't believe guys still run stock housings, with all the crap to make the knuckles live with spacers and no back spacing. Stock setup isn't even that bad when you run normal back spacing and not 4" of spacers. :flipoff2:

FZJ80 axles here.

i'm finally at the point that i need to order up some longer than stock lug bolts :homer:

i chickened out on grinding 0.2" off the face of my calipers and just flopped on some 1/4" spacers. those, plus slip on GX rotors = not a bunch of thread left :laughing:

I ran 5th studs for years with sky’s arms and never had issues with stuff loosening up. Before that I had to tighten them every trip. Tg arp studs and used a 1/2 in grade 8 bolt for the 5th one.

A4111978-3359-4FEC-8FC7-C391E089F2A6.jpeg

Well, I just cancelled my order at AllPro because they backordered the arms for my kit a second time. So I figure I'll bump this thread and see if anyone else has something to add. I have an '82 pickup, stock front axle that will be going under RUF springs and longer shackles. Stock 4-stud knuckles, might be adding a 5th. Trying to take the cheap route out, but the cheap guys are backordered. Next best options? I am planning heims, this is a beater rig that will never see the road. Any advice will be considered at this point. Thanks.

I have Marlins HS with the larger 25mm bearing. But I really like the FROR keyed HS, which also uses the larger bearing. Actually just saw a post for them yesterday. But these are pricey, but also probably the strongest without the need for a 5th stud.

4 arp studs for 4 years on 37" treps with hydro assist/tg 1650psi pump and the last 2 years under a friends truck, never had an issue with them coming loose. I did shear off the trunnion pin on the first set of cast? 1 piece arms 1 year in snow wheeling of all places. Went to tg arms with marlin 25mm trunnion bearings.

I ran unmodified TG arms with trunnion bearing eliminators for 6 years on hydro assist and 37’s. ARP studs and never had one come loose. I was always thinking about it and checking but never had a problem

Just switched to keyed FROR flat arms and a y-link for extra clearance to the frame on my new 3 link setup now that I don’t have to clear the leaves.

D714046E-9850-42CA-AD0F-A44C210CE161.jpeg

Well, I just cancelled my order at AllPro because they backordered the arms for my kit a second time. So I figure I'll bump this thread and see if anyone else has something to add. I have an '82 pickup, stock front axle that will be going under RUF springs and longer shackles. Stock 4-stud knuckles, might be adding a 5th. Trying to take the cheap route out, but the cheap guys are backordered. Next best options? I am planning heims, this is a beater rig that will never see the road. Any advice will be considered at this point. Thanks.
the ONLY cheap option is stock everything plus 5th stud.

there is nothing that even comes close to value per $ and the $ are more like pennies

the ONLY cheap option is stock everything plus 5th stud.

there is nothing that even comes close to value per $ and the $ are more like pennies
I hear ya. This is that classic case of "build it now or break it then build it?". This rig will break the stock push/pull stuff eventually, so while I'm pulling the axles for work, it makes sense to upgrade to crossover and such. Money will be spent regardless, like the rebuild kit and the stronger replacement studs, etc. So the difference in cheap vs not cheap in this case is the Allpro kit for $350ish shipped compared to $547 for the TG arms and links shipped. And it only goes up from there for nicer parts like the FROR arms mentioned above. In my case, I get powersteering along the way on this snowballing project.

Anyhow, thanks for replies everyone.

you know allpro is TG, right?

either go FROR or add a 5th stud. the 5th stud works because you are adding a separate plane to the clamping surface. 6studs increase the clamping force but you are still in the same plane.

you know allpro is TG, right?

either go FROR or add a 5th stud. the 5th stud works because you are adding a separate plane to the clamping surface. 6studs increase the clamping force but you are still in the same plane.
Yep, but they are different kits with different availability, sold through different vendors. And Allpro isn't offering the available TG kits in place of their backordered ones. The company is aggravating but when I call they pick up the phone at least. 5th stud is definitely on the radar.

Yep, but they are different kits with different availability, sold through different vendors. And Allpro isn't offering the available TG kits in place of their backordered ones. The company is aggravating but when I call they pick up the phone at least. 5th stud is definitely on the radar.

if you think they are coming from a different supply chain, you are delusional. TG has undercut people to run them into the ground, buys them for the name.

if you think they are coming from a different supply chain, you are delusional. TG has undercut people to run them into the ground, buys them for the name.
Yeah I'm not a fan boy by any means, just buying their shit cause its cheap right now. As far as different supply chains, idfc. Ive been on the phone with these morons and they say the TG one is available and the other isn't due to "unforseen manufacturer delays". Allpro stuff was ordered through them, and the TG was ordered from SummitRacing, who I trust more than TG. At least summit will take care of their customers.

I hear ya. This is that classic case of "build it now or break it then build it?". This rig will break the stock push/pull stuff eventually, so while I'm pulling the axles for work, it makes sense to upgrade to crossover and such. Money will be spent regardless, like the rebuild kit and the stronger replacement studs, etc. So the difference in cheap vs not cheap in this case is the Allpro kit for $350ish shipped compared to $547 for the TG arms and links shipped. And it only goes up from there for nicer parts like the FROR arms mentioned above. In my case, I get powersteering along the way on this snowballing project.

Anyhow, thanks for replies everyone.
I have a TG High Steer TRE, Drag Link, 4 used TRES (FJ80), and 2 new TREs I need to sell in CA. Interested?

I have a TG High Steer TRE, Drag Link, 4 used TRES (FJ80), and 2 new TREs I need to sell in CA. Interested?
Damn, just a day late. Already pulled the trigger but thanks for the offer.

Yeah I'm not a fan boy by any means, just buying their shit cause its cheap right now. As far as different supply chains, idfc. Ive been on the phone with these morons and they say the TG one is available and the other isn't due to "unforseen manufacturer delays". Allpro stuff was ordered through them, and the TG was ordered from SummitRacing, who I trust more than TG. At least summit will take care of their customers.
the biggest thing about buying TG stuff is making sure you get it through a vendor who has you covered.

summit is probably the safest choice out there

Top Back Refresh