What's new

Whats everyone running for High Steer?

dntsdad

Central California
Member Number
Loc
Central California
TG Six Shooter setup, Marlin 25mm, Front Range 25mm, keyed?

I have a brand new whole TG Six Shooter setup sitting here in boxes but not I am rethinking and debating going to the Marlin or Front Range setup

Just wondering what everyone else is running

By design, FROR is my favorite.

I'm waiting on them to release the 80 knuckles before I build another toy axle though.

What's so special about Marlins?

Why not just roll with the 6 shooters if you already have it? I went to heim joints on the tie rod and drag link.

Why not just roll with the 6 shooters if you already have it? I went to heim joints on the tie rod and drag link.

Cause then I wouldnt get to overthing everything and then spend more money replacing shit I already own. :flipoff2::flipoff2:

Honestly, I dont know. I just such a sour taste for anything TG nowadays

Reactions: Clb
Stock LJ70 LandCruiser steering arms cut, flipped, welded and mounted on top of the knuckle. Allowed me to run the stock tie rod with the ball joints on top of the arms.

Mine is under a Zuk still on front leafs though and clearance is toit. :laughing: I have to unbolt either the leafs or arms to get the ball joints out but that's not really a problem.

I ran 6 shooters with 25mm studs for years with no problem. Heims on tie rod and drag link. Still have them for a 4runner project.

I've been running the 6 shooters with trunion eliminators for over tenish years with zero issues. 33's, 35's and 37's

5th stud with stock studs for 6 years now on 38s locked f/r. they have come loose once or twice but I check them regular so it was always caught early. This only cost me about 5$ for the bolts, 1.5' X 1/2'' grade 8 bolt and the nut is welded to the back side of the knuckle.

Also using RufStuff 7/8th heims, which are cool, but the pass side touch when full lock, so they have been ground down a bit to get more movement.

If I were to do it again, and the budget allowed, I would go with the keyed arms.

5thstud.jpg

5thstudtwo.jpg

5thstudnut.jpg

Last edited:
Marlin hi Steer, stock (new) studs and stock size trunions. Debating going to six shooters, keyed or just doing a 5th stud. This is on a tacoma with a fliped fj60 front axle. I have only had one stud come loose.

There was a picture of a forged hi steer arm that was damn near ripped in 2 on the old site. The truck was running ARP steering arm studs. I think the truck had 38s or 39.5s. Pretty damn impressive.

The t.g. test mule taco never broke a front componnent, EVERYTHING else yes:lmao:

I have 6 shooters for both rigs 88 and 73. With trunion eliminators on the 73. Still haven't taken the 73 out, still a project. Seemed like almost every run with a 4 stud turned into another weekend of shit, or at least tightening the arms every so often. I order through summit on just about everything Trail gear related. I will go to Trail gear's site first, get the specific part number, then paste it into the search on summitracing.com. usually cheaper, and almost always free shipping.

I like the fror arms best, simple and probably the strongest.

Honestly, you already have the 6 shooters and if you're running a normal back spaced wheel, with out spacers and shit, it's probably fine either way.

5th stud worked great for me, great budget option.
5th stud and ARP’s, not once did they get loose on 37’s.

Click image for larger version Name:	FDC3A91D-3BB9-441A-8651-9957CE110798.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	409.8 KB ID:	221786

They are for sale, btw

FDC3A91D-3BB9-441A-8651-9957CE110798.jpeg

Last edited:
4x4 labs on my 84 and 85.

It's not for everyone though. The tie rod behind the axle does create some issues

I run OG hellfires with ruffstuff 25mm bottom bearings and did six studs on no name ebay arms for a friend

20200104_191544.jpg

img_20181126_182748972_zpsf9ntm6xd.jpg

Been thinking about switching my tie rod ends for heims. Which heims are you guys using?

Hellfire high steer on FZJ80 axle, still awaiting to install front end-

I had standard MC arms with FJ TRE's, I recently switched to FROR keyed arms and 25mm bearings, still running FJ TRE's.

photo33157.jpg

I have trail gear with there trunion bearing eliminator kit my truck hasn’t been wheeled much or hard since I rebuilt my axles it’s just been mild trails if I started to wheel it at some parks I’d probably do the 5th bolt mod. I’d run the six shooters since you already have them or sell or trade them off sure someone would pick them up

Been thinking about switching my tie rod ends for heims. Which heims are you guys using?

I got the 7/8" kit from Ruff Stuff. Super beefy tie rod and drag link. I think for toyotas the 3/4" heims would be enough. The 7/8" one are frickin huge and don't leave a whole lotta meat left on the arms once you drill em out. Even on six shooters. My 02.

35's - Marlin 25mm arms, fj80 tre's, stock knuckles, kept getting loosened studs, arp's helped with loosening for what ever reason? 3 years on this setup

37's- same as above but switched from tre's to heims (ran this way for 2-3 years of hard wheeling without any major issues) just kept tightening arms.

37's with addition of fj80 box and hydro assist- Blew 2 stock knuckles, went to TG 6 shooters with the same setup as above and could not for the life of me keep the arms tight without worrying constantly. Yes I ran steering stops. Wheeled this way for 1-2 years without issue minus the constant head game of loose arms (sometimes they needed tightening other times not, so inconsistent.)

37" stickies- I knew I needed to do something to make a 5th/6 stud setup with the marlin arms/tg knuckles but before it happened new power and traction started ring gear whoas, I'm now heading down the 9" axles/full hydro trail before I get anymore invested in my yotas.

1 thing, I don't buy trail gear anything but I took a gamble on the 6 shooters and I'd do it again before I played with or put effort into stock knuckles. At least til another vendor comes out with another option.

And fj80 axle steering setups don't belong in this thread, yes the hellfire knuckles are sweet but the axle itself shares nothing in size comparison to the pickup stuff minus the fact the front housing take a hi pinion 8" 3rd. Steering knuckles are not interchangeable between the 2 housings. Pickups have a baseball size knuckle ball, fj80 soft ball sized.

another vote for 5th stud and having it work well with stock and stock replacement studs

if i were to buy everything new, i think the keyed arms have a leg up on everything else.

on my current axle i've got homebrew 5th stud plus homebrew 6th stud tied into the steering stops. just scrap shitwelded into place plus a couple nuts

IMG_2973.JPG

IMG_2976.JPG

Top Back Refresh