What's new

What will it handle...........

IMG_3077.jpg

Did a bit of light weighting......

The frame is a PITA the work with too because its not parallel. Its an ) ( shape.

This is definitely an unbalanced build.

If you're set on built 8" Toy axles, pick a reasonable tire size and build from there. Assuming you're sticking with your 231/D300, I would look for a GM LFX 3.6L V6 and whatever auto trans works between it and the 231. Then run 37 radial MTs. As long as you keep the rig light-ish, that setup should survive.

Last edited:
This is definitely an unbalanced build.

If you're set on built 8" Toy axles, pick a reasonable tire size and build from there. Assuming you're sticking with your 231/D300, I would look for a GM LFX 3.6L V6 and whatever auto trans works between it and the 231. Then run 37 radial MTs. As long as you keep the rig light-ish, that setup should survive.

That motor makes the same power as the small displacement LS truck motors, no benefit to running that.

That motor makes the same power as the small displacement LS truck motors, no benefit to running that.
The LFX makes a little bit under a 4.8L but also "inverted" hp to tq ratio... but the big benefit is packaging/weight. LS is close to 600lbs while LFX is 375lbs. LS is ~24"Wx ~28"Lx ~28"T. LFX is 21"Wx 19"Lx24"T without intake.

Hell, I'd go with an LF4 for giggles; twin turbo LFX that is 460hp/440ft-lbs from the factory:eek:

As Lil' Jon mentioned, the torque curve is very different. A 4.8L LS is making around 300lb-ft, while the LFX is a very flat 265lb-ft in a much smaller, lighter package. They are also pretty damn cheap because they get overlooked for LS V8s for swaps. It would be perfect in a lightweight rig and about the max I would push through Toy 8" axles.

attachment.php?attachmentid=835832&stc=1&d=1480530349.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	attachment.php?attachmentid=835832&stc=1&d=1480530349.jpg Views:	0 Size:	213.1 KB ID:	115290

Last edited:
What about running an ecotech?

And fyi I broke a front shaft in this in my yard. Not a rock for miles. 200hp and 39s weighing in at 2998lbs

Screenshot_20200807-060129_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:
This is a subject that could have stayed on the old site. For fuck sakes. Toyota axles belong on 35s, and a 1.3L engine. And they will still break.

No, it won’t work.

This is a subject that could have stayed on the old site. For fuck sakes. Toyota axles belong on 35s, and a 1.3L engine. And they will still break.

No, it won’t work.

Valid question. Please try to stay on topic. I can’t tell if you are being sarcastic or just plain ignorant with your statement.

I have a buddy that has been beating the same Toyota firewall buggy/truggy thing for fucking years with wide 38" TSLs and a 22RE. The keys to front end survival for him have been running 4.10 gears and a high pinion front. It would eat front gears with the low pinion diff pretty regularly. Other than that the front is the usual gussetting and old original Longfield axles. Shitty sheet metal housing is bent all to shit, gotta slide hammer the axles out if you do pull the third. If you can drive it right (i.e. not bind the thing up and keep pouring power to it) they can live a long happy life.

Valid question. Please try to stay on topic. I can’t tell if you are being sarcastic or just plain ignorant with your statement.

Zero sarcasm. Anyone that thinks V8, and Toyota axles belong in the same sentence, is out of their mind. Unless they intend on driving forest roads.

Zero sarcasm. Anyone that thinks V8, and Toyota axles belong in the same sentence, is out of their mind. Unless they intend on driving forest roads.

I ran a V8 in front of stock LC axles(bigger third but same everything else) with 35s and never had an issue with technical wheeling. Granted it was a "wimpy" 5.0L TBI and I didn't drive like a drunk dumb ass. I drove by the '3 bounce' rule; rig bounces three times and I shut it down.

This. None of the less than full size trucks and SUVs come stock with the kind of axles that can survive 35+tires and 200+hp. The Explorer (with the 31spl 8.8), Isuzu Trooper (with the 12b or D44) and some XJs (with the D44) can at least tolerate 35+ tires in the rear but none of them will take it well up front.

The only reason we keep having this discussion is because morons who are too stupid or refuse to lean to fabricate shit want to run big tires on vehicles for which axle swap kits don't exist. Anyone who can't be bothered to learn to fab in this sport should either be rich or stick to Jeep products.

Maybe you fukrs... missed my original post when I said :
"I don't do a lot of rocks. mostly mud, trails, mountains...... maybe the odd trip to the hammers to spectate. (once every 2 years...) LOL
and I want a cab instead of a full tube chassis for our northern climate."

"I don't do a lot of rocks anymore" !!! :flipoff2: Good thing some of you can read....

and if you don't like the way my build is going...... troll some other forums.

As for knowing how to fab.... I done a bit.
https://www.pirate4x4.com/threads/xj-build-with-a-haircut.838457/
or
https://www.jkowners.com/threads/hell-ya-its-getting-a-hemi.21940/#post-322098
or
https://www.pirate4x4.com/threads/tube-chassis-cj-7-build.962404/
so
:flipoff2:
How many of you raced in KOH2011 ?

You asked a question, and we answered. You could have said, “only post, if you tell me what I want to hear”.

Toyota axles and v8s don’t mix. UNLESS- you drive on smooth, dirt roads. Housings bend, steering studs break, brakes are small, axles/bells explode. But, whatever. Build it.

I thought the fun of a sammy/sammy based build is being able to use a lawnmower sized motor and 33s and wheel anywhere you ever would want to? 40s and a v8 seem to defeat the entire purpose of one.

​​

Top Back Refresh