What's new

What will it handle...........

Gracefull

Member Number
Guy's I am building a new truggy/rig... I have some key parts and am trying to come up with a good recipe, and then continue on with a build tread.

Here is what I have:
GM NP231/Dana300 doubler transfercase. Passenger drop of course.
set of stock toy solid 80's axles.
old cab and frame of a Suzuki Sammy.
a ton of DOM tubing.
and a fridge full of rum.

Here is what I have ordered:

Front axle:
Full sixshooter knuckle kit and arms
5:29 gears
Zip locker
Longfield 30 spline cromo shafts
Marlin heavy duty knuckle gusset kit
Axle truss
TG diff armor plate

So I'm building the axles as bulletproof as you can get with toy axles.... any suggestions are welcome .

I would like to have 250-300 ish hp...
Maybe a small LS? and auto tranny....
37-39 ish tires....

I don't do a lot of rocks. mostly mud, trails,mountains...... maybe the odd trip to the hammers to spectate. (once every 2 years...) LOL
and I want a cab in stead of a full tube chassis for our northern climate.

Am I dreaming about using a LS power plant for this type of wheeling and the Toyota axles?
I have found a very good deal on a lQ4 and 4L65E tranny.... 320hp stock

Vortec 4.3 is a "common" swap.

I got about 3 trips out of built toyota axles and a 4.3 before I tossed them in a dumpster, lit them on fire and threw in stock 60's. I was much happier on stock 60's even with 38's.

39's are pushing built toy axles really hard with a 22r

i was contemplating 40's on my toy axles but was worried the 90hp of my 22re might be too much :laughing: / moreso that the 40's are too much for the toy axles

this dudes going for 300ish hp :eek:

I ran 35s @ 0PSI on my 1300cc motor with a confirmed 8500RPM. Never broke axles. Broke everything else, but not axles.

6 shooters won't fit an 80 axle....

I'd be looking at a simple 4.3 maybe add boost if you need a little more.

LOL, I was trying to relay it is a early 1980's solid front axle

you guy's think I could get away with a 37" tire?

I am a anxious about my trussed mini truck front with RCVs and a 5th stud on 37" Creepy Crawlers and 22R on propane with dual cases behind it. With a bigger motor I would be stressing about it.

I agree with the others that you should be looking at tons. I am hoarding parts to put my Tacoma on tons for 40s with the factory 3.4l V6

​​​​​

I have found a very good deal on a lQ4 and 4L65E tranny.... 320hp stock

what do you consider a good deal?

My recommendation would be to get a 4.8L Ls. Super cheap compared to 5.3s and 6.0s. They benefit from all the same parts as the bigger motors and can always drop in a bigger LS right in place if you want the extra power. Probably would help your axles survive as well.

what do you consider a good deal?

My recommendation would be to get a 4.8L Ls. Super cheap compared to 5.3s and 6.0s. They benefit from all the same parts as the bigger motors and can always drop in a bigger LS right in place if you want the extra power. Probably would help your axles survive as well.

700$ canadian..... 160K on them. complete with the computer, pedal, and harness.. out of a 2005 h2.

700$ canadian..... 160K on them. complete with the computer, pedal, and harness.. out of a 2005 h2.

Buy that, keep the trans, turn around and sell the motor for $1200 and buy a 4.8L. You just got a free powertrain.

Id also worry about the 231 w/ a v8

also v8 w/ doubler is alot to fit in a sami

its only the cab of the Sammy and a bit of the centre frame. tubed backend and tubed front, past the engine mounts...... 105"-110" WB.... haven't committed yet.

what's the best way to link photos now a day's, photo bucket sucks ass......... didn't find a tutorial on irate yet...lol

Built mini truck axles can survive 40s and a heavy foot in a light weight 22r powered rig. At least that's what I keep telling myself.

LS is completely out of proportion to the rest of the build. And the 231/D300 does not make sense either. Sami motor with propane and turbo. Divorced Toyota t-case. 37" red labels. Go places you never dreamed possible.

I’m building a flat fender with the following:

LS>sm465>D300
Custom narrow D44s on 35s and 4.56 gears

If a D44/10 Bolt can survive under a heavy chevy truck with a factory V8 my sub-3500lb flatty should be a joke.

On the old forum you would see people say all the
time “toys are just as strong as a D44”

This Jeep is not going to be stretched to hell,I won’t have the ability to rock bounce because it won’t be stable enough. I got my 5.3 for free so that’s why I stuck with it. Originally I was planning a LV3 (All Aluminum) 4.3

You guys think toy thirds would survive 40s if the ring and pinion were cryo treated?

With a 22re and a heavy foot?

I'm not a Yota expert, but I do see that build combination enough to know some people make it work/survive.

If you definitely want the V8, then you should sell the Yota axle parts, and buy a set of tons.

If you want to keep the Yota axle parts, then just stick with a small 4 cyl motor, 22RE, 1.6 8v, 1.6 16v, or like was mentioned, a Sami 1.3 modified.

Yea, my 1.3 turned 35s no issue. Its all about gearing and modest use of the go-pedal. I ditched the stock carb for a 44mm HD carb. Ran great with a massive improvement.

I'm not a Yota expert, but I do see that build combination enough to know some people make it work/survive.

If you definitely want the V8, then you should sell the Yota axle parts, and buy a set of tons.

If you want to keep the Yota axle parts, then just stick with a small 4 cyl motor, 22RE, 1.6 8v, 1.6 16v, or like was mentioned, a Sami 1.3 modified.

im not the OP :laughing:

im not dumb enough to put a V8 on toy axles, hell im just worried about 40's on toy axles

image_20780.jpg

Here we go....... Body for weather protection...

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh