What's new

What tools are in your tool bag/roll?

COcamper

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
Aldrich, MO
I didn't want to clutter up the thread below, I searched and didn't find anything, and I wasn't sure where to put this, so here it is...

What tools are in your tool bag or your new tool roll if you just bought one like I did after reading the thread below?

Tool Rolls for the trail

I've always been one of those that loads up my toolbox from my bench before each trip with everything I can possibly think I might need, which usually ends up with a very heavy, disorganized tool box and a milk crate to carry fluids/ bigger tools. Then unload it when get back home. I keep the "bare essentials" in my truck- pliers, screwdrivers, light, tie wire, duct tape, etc. but I'd like to have a more complete set so I'm not doing the load/unload and forgetting something.

I'm pretty sure I have duplicates or more of most everything to build a nice "kit" to leave in my truck and then only have to grab the odd tools.

First part-
So what is a basic set of tools to have, don't get into a brand pissing match, save that for another thread :flipoff2:

Sockets- standard and metric, deep and regular? all sizes or just the most common?
Wrenches- standard and metric- all sizes up to what size?
Pliers- needle nose, channel lock, vise grips ??
Screwdriver-multi, long, ??

Second part-

What are some of the "not so common" tools you bring along that have come in handy? Maybe something that is multi-purpose?

You hit it for my basic stuff. Socket set(3/8" size), wrench set(metric/SAE), and screw drivers.

Electric "pliers", snap ring pliers, etc.

As for specialized stuff, I add in hub socket(same front/rear on mine) plus 1/2" ratchet(for socket and accessory belt idler). Torx bit and screw drivers.

I pack the common, and the uncommon but fit my rig, such as pinion nut socket, wheel hub socket, big ass hammer, pitman arm puller, big crescent wrench and pipe wrench (for tie rod ends) ... All packed in a aluminum military night vision goggles box (not the goggles, just the box) which doubles as my catch can for fluids if I loose an oil pan, or have to drain a diff.

I’m a “pack everything” guy so I could use
this thread.
I add an absurd amount of weight to my rig.

X2

And a half of my hand tools are multiples in sizes:
1) hammers - claw/4lb sledge
2) vise grips - 2 sizes med/large
3) pry bar - 2ft/4ft
4) screw drivers 2 of each heads - med/large = 4
5) channel locks - med/large
6) snippers - 4+ :laughing:
7) tin snips - med/large

I used to pack every tool I may need to rebuild my rig in the side of a trail. i did a head gasket on the side of the trail when I was in my late teens:lmao: but for just exploring mountain roads and shit?, basic shit, gorilla tape, bailing wire, PB Blaster and a small can of Deep Creep, some electric wire and assorted connections with crimp/splice pliers, complete socket (with applicable 1/2 shit) and wrench set. 3/8 & 1/2 torque wrenches and ratchets. And 1/4 drive of the small flavor for hose clamps and such. That with my 1/2 M18 I am good. Plus shovel, axe, small chainsaw and basic kit as needed with a beofang handheld for Fuck! moments. But I add weight because Toyotas are already slow so what a few extra pounds. :stirthepot::lmao:

Now I hang out in GCC so I don’t currently wheel. :crybaby2:

All I've ever carried is a basic box store "mechanics tool set" (sockets and a ratchet, couple screw drivers) and a handful of wrenches, couple pairs of vise grips, and a 4 way lug wrench. Zip ties, duct tape and some electrical tape don't hurt eithr. Never not made it back for lack of tools. You don't have to fix it right while you're on the road/trail, you just have to fix it enough to get back. Unless you're looking to be capable of fixing any and every broken rig you may encounter, I don't see much sense in packing half your shop along for the ride.

I have the 21" tool box filled with a generic 1/4-3/8 drive socket set, pretty much everything HF makes that's meant to be driven by a 1/2 impact, an assortment of extensions, pliers, prying/striking/cutting tools. It's too much shit to list but next time I have to dump it all out I'll take a pic.

I spent ~5yr going to a pick and pull every other weekend. It's a pretty well refined kit of stuff at this point.

2 ammo cans in a stanley fatmax box. One ammo can has sockets from 5mm-24mm I think, and a few big standards. 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 drive. A bunch of different extensions.
That box also has a tie rod end puller and tie wire.
Other ammo can has wrenches, pliers, vice grips, and screwdrivers. Wrenches from 10mm-17mm are on a carabiner, then 19-24 plus a big ass adjustable on another. That box has the assorted nuts and bolts, zip ties, hose clamps and other bits and pieces in it.

Outside of the ammo cans I have several lengths of hose of.dofferent sizes, a roll of shop towels, brake fluid, weasel piss, a breaker bar, a snipe for the breaker bar, and a 24x24 piece of blue foam for kneeling on.

Every vehicle has jumpers and spare oil and trans fluid. Depending on the mission, I might bring extra fuel.

I swap a Shovel, chainsaw and chainsaw fluids box around as needed, as well as an axe.

I also have a survival box with a tarp, rope, water bottles, stove, some dehydrated meals, and some snacks in it.

It's a lot of shit, but I've fixed vehicles that weren't my own, and I want to be able to do whatever I need to when I'm a long way from home.

Good stuff, thanks guys!

All I've ever carried is a basic box store "mechanics tool set" (sockets and a ratchet, couple screw drivers) and a handful of wrenches, couple pairs of vise grips, and a 4 way lug wrench. Zip ties, duct tape and some electrical tape don't hurt eithr. Never not made it back for lack of tools. You don't have to fix it right while you're on the road/trail, you just have to fix it enough to get back. Unless you're looking to be capable of fixing any and every broken rig you may encounter, I don't see much sense in packing half your shop along for the ride.

That's exactly what I'm aiming for- the ability to limp home from "most" of the common issues without feeling like I have to pack everything! I will admit that I'm "that" guy at camp that has what you forgot or need, but I don't mind having that in camp, I just don't want/need to carry it all with me.

Good stuff, thanks guys!

That's exactly what I'm aiming for- the ability to limp home from "most" of the common issues without feeling like I have to pack everything! I will admit that I'm "that" guy at camp that has what you forgot or need, but I don't mind having that in camp, I just don't want/need to carry it all with me.

Fair enough. My mass of tools (I also have an "electrical" ammo can, and a tire repair one), comes from spending a lot of time solo, 100kms+ from cell reception. I had to walk out once last year, hiked 16km before I got a ride another 70km or so out of the bush. My starter on my auto trans 4runner died completely, I had no choice but to walk. Other than that I've always been able to limp out at least.

If I had a trail wheeler, and a tow rig/camp set up I would definitely carry less in the truck.

My list of things to buy/build is one of those wire clamping tools.

Advoko Makes built a really pretty one on youtube.

Fair enough. My mass of tools (I also have an "electrical" ammo can, and a tire repair one), comes from spending a lot of time solo, 100kms+ from cell reception. I had to walk out once last year, hiked 16km before I got a ride another 70km or so out of the bush. My starter on my auto trans 4runner died completely, I had no choice but to walk. Other than that I've always been able to limp out at least.

If I had a trail wheeler, and a tow rig/camp set up I would definitely carry less in the truck.

Next time, you'll pack a spare starter. And for what it's worth.... a starter is often one good hammer hit from working again. And I'd have pulled the starter if that didn't work, taken it apart, and fixed it. Most times is either mud packed, the bendix is weak, or the brushes need cleaned. All easy fixes. At least on a domestic US manufacturer. I've not torn apart a Toyota starter, but can't imagine it's any harder than AMC/GM/Ford

Next time, you'll pack a spare starter. And for what it's worth.... a starter is often one good hammer hit from working again. And I'd have pulled the starter if that didn't work, taken it apart, and fixed it. Most times is either mud packed, the bendix is weak, or the brushes need cleaned. All easy fixes. At least on a domestic US manufacturer. I've not torn apart a Toyota starter, but can't imagine it's any harder than AMC/GM/Ford

I'm familiar with both hitting a starter, and diagnosing one. I tried both. It had shorted internally. I won't carry a spare starter, I may hunt one more season out of that truck then I'm going back to a manual trans. It wouldn't have been an issue if I'd had a manual.

This is a basic checklist I made for wheeling tools and supplies/parts. Obviously it can be tailored based on how remote the wheeling you are doing is and who else you are going with and what they are bringing too. I kept the hand tool descriptions pretty basic because I didn't want to list 24 different wrenches etc.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GQEnRiR1fWX7vjzguXwmnQEyVhcskTKUeHLY_j_SZeA/edit?usp=drivesdk

Thanks again! That's a great reference. I looked over the list and probably grabbed close to 75% of it each trip (and thankfully didn't need what I forgot each trip!) thus ending up with a very heavy toolbox. I will use that as a starting point and see how I can better organize it so I can pack and leave the "common" stuff in my truck.

Thanks again! That's a great reference. I looked over the list and probably grabbed close to 75% of it each trip (and thankfully didn't need what I forgot each trip!) thus ending up with a very heavy toolbox. I will use that as a starting point and see how I can better organize it so I can pack and leave the "common" stuff in my truck.

I usually bring the small hand tools and supplies and my friend will pack the heavier stuff like the impact, hammers and jack in his rig so we split the list up and don't overload one vehicle.

I'm familiar with both hitting a starter, and diagnosing one. I tried both. It had shorted internally. I won't carry a spare starter, I may hunt one more season out of that truck then I'm going back to a manual trans. It wouldn't have been an issue if I'd had a manual.

I am with you. I pack a lot because about a mile out of town I have zero cell reception and I can drive easily for 50+ miles on the forest roads and not see anyone. Oh yea I also carry a very comfortable pair of boots and hiking kit should shit happen like that.

edit: we had 2 trucks have to walk out about 30 miles last spring after they buried it in the snow Dude did not look happy when I saw him walking up to the coffee stand just after I got my coffee around 6am when it was raining and blowing in the high 30’s. Fuck that shit I would have spent the night in my rig and walked out in the morning if nobody is dying.

Last edited:
Following! Last year I made a trail welding kit with electrodes and all the jumper cables I need along with how to hook up the battery instructions and tossed it all in a bag. I don't wheel solo so I'll at least be able to stick metal back together enough to get it home and off the trail.

I need to pare down the tool supply as I pack my entire garage and it takes me forever to find anything when I need it and weighs a ton.

Here's the trail welding kit I made, I got evreything off Amazon and was only a few hundred bucks:
3 Sets of jumper cables, one set seperated to act as my ground clamp and electrode holder. The small vice grips is actually the electrode holder, I clamp the cable to those
Click image for larger version Name:	20200619_150709.jpg Views:	0 Size:	366.2 KB ID:	310686

Last edited:
The rods I carry, I can't cut and word whatever I need:
20200619_150735-1.jpg

The only changes I am going to make in the future is to put battery style cable clamps on the other jumper cables.

I carry a blue point general service set, plus a tool bag with whatever 1/2"drive stuff I need, hammer, wrenches, pry bar, M12 impact and ratchet, spindle nut socket, other miscellaneous crap I probably don't need. Most of it fits in a Tractor supply plastic box bolted to the bed. Usually fluids and stuff stay in a milk crate in the tow rig or at camp unless it's a long trail
Screenshot_20210219-212834.png

Top Back Refresh