What's new

What to do with two big propane tanks?

vetteboy79

It's bent. #ttb
Member Number
Loc
Morganville, NJ
When I moved into my house in 2013, the previous owner had a contract with a propane service, and there are two 420-lb tanks outside the house. Old owner terminated the contract instead of transferring it so the tanks were disconnected with a lock on the valves; I ended up hooking up to natural gas service so I never bothered talking to the propane company.

Now they're in the way of some other work I want to do on the house, so I looked up the company, and they no longer have a propane division. Any questions about propane service 'should be referred to your current provider'. Well, there isn't one.

So I guess I can do whatever I want to with these things. I don't know if there's any propane in them, but I guess there's no harm in busting the valve locks off at this point to find out. Is there a market for tanks like this? Throw them up on marketplace as 'free to good home'?

Anyone in NJ area want two 420-lb propane tanks? :laughing:

I was going to say pontoon boat but they aren't very big.
Screenshot_20200916-175158_Chrome.jpg

Fuck I'm currently trying to find 2, why couldn't you be much much closer.

You're at his mom's house so that's probably not too far away. :homer:

I'd make a omer out of 1 and a fire pit out of the other.

Build something. A raft, or a hot tub. Or hide valuables/bodies underground.

cut the locks off and they're worth $250 apiece on craigslist, $4-500 if you wait until winter and people realize they need a tank for whatever

The tanks have a blow off valve. Point that valve up, and pile a huge amount of wood around them. Light that on fire and stand back. In about 3 hours, the propane tanks will melt through the valve and a huge gout of flame will erupt.

You're welcome.

I've been looking at 500 gallon tanks for a while, they're going for 600 used 200mi away, 1200 new and delivered
for a comparison to something larger

Delivery? :)

Well, I was thinking about heading up that way to spend next weekend at Humble Pie at F&F, but spectator tickets are sold out 😕

If you make it down for the meet & shoot in Nov I could definitely bring them there, it's not a problem to hold them til then. Just have to convince the others not to drop them in the field as targets :nuke:

If I were closer I’d take one

My generator is dual fuel. LPG does not go bad like gasoline or diesel, so it would be perfect for “just in case” (after a safety check naturally)
(I have somehow collected several 20lb bottles that I rotate :homer: )

keep in mind that they're the smallest size that they'll send out a truck to fill, so there is some demand for that alone
(after a safety check naturally)

stationary tanks don't really have any requirement for certification around here at least. The guy that fills it might give it a lookover to make sure it's not a complete ball of rust, nor is it inside a brushpile, but there ain't no DOT inspection like on a portable cylinder.

420s aren’t UG. Unlock and sell them used for $250-300 each. Are they DOT or ASME?

It’s reverse thread in the service valve. Take a cold chisel to the ring around the lock (the free-spinning part) and smack it off. It’s just a 4-bladed Christmas tree made out of very thin spring steel.

Then unthread the brass part of the lock that is LEFT-HANDED THREAD.

Or PM me your address and I’ll mail you a key.

[486 said:
;n134318]keep in mind that they're the smallest size that they'll send out a truck to fill, so there is some demand for that alone

stationary tanks don't really have any requirement for certification around here at least. The guy that fills it might give it a lookover to make sure it's not a complete ball of rust, nor is it inside a brushpile, but there ain't no DOT inspection like on a portable cylinder.

420s can be ASME or DOT.

If DOT just number stamp the collar below the requal date or date of manufacture.

08 - 20 - E.

They make great fire pits, that's all I got...

yep we cut the ends of and make them artsy. wholesale to garden nuserys for $600 or my buddy sells them at farmers markets for $800 ea. 2 per tank... its not a bad racket

sell the body rings for $200

i ve got about 100 tanks behind the shop im working on slicing up in my free time.

Yes they do. I want one. But not in NJ.

i know AK is stupid prices, but in WA the most i've ever paid for a scrap tank is $100 but most 0-50$. every propane supplier has a pile of scrap tanks. the trick is convincing them your not too retarded safely 'dispose' of what they dont want anyways. learn yourself, maybe get a bis licence (helps assure them they wont be responcible for your actions with thte tank) its cheap, and get yo scrap tank. by all you can and profit$$$.

stuff like this;
View attachment cXiMpD0C6kLkKN9T_m68gyCIzcZSvyaiU4CvI12SbaGixWXdEG-I5IT_fWTk4Z2LeZ6n7rVHpKfcbbcSdpGBrTT_WXnXeuQqimWM

i know AK is stupid prices, but in WA the most i've ever paid for a scrap tank is $100 but most 0-50$. every propane supplier has a pile of scrap tanks. the trick is convincing them your not too retarded safely 'dispose' of what they dont want anyways. learn yourself, maybe get a bis licence (helps assure them they wont be responcible for your actions with thte tank) its cheap, and get yo scrap tank. by all you can and profit$$$.

stuff like this;

I kinda want one of those! How much?

yep we cut the ends of and make them artsy. wholesale to garden nuserys for $600 or my buddy sells them at farmers markets for $800 ea. 2 per tank... its not a bad racket

sell the body rings for $200

i ve got about 100 tanks behind the shop im working on slicing up in my free time.

Damn, didnt realize tards pay that much. Might have to jump on that. Have you come up with a good way to cut the caps off? I can only free hand a torch for so long/strait.

Too small for a one man sub. Underground gun storage? Short tube for shallow manhole? Pickup fuel tank? Tree stand? Turret for death machine? What do you need?

1. Slap a bio-hazard sticker on one
2. Duct tape it to your back
3. Go into a bank with ball peen hammer in hand claiming to have an A-bomb
4. Don't get covered in poo
5. Profit?

Top Back Refresh