What's new

What the Hell caused this?????

Happens in big mining trucks, rare, but usually catastrophic when it does happen
When I worked in the oilfields I worked with a guy from WY who used to work in the big open pit coal mines there on haul trucks. He said one of the trucks had a blow out on the tire under the driver while hauling in the pit and it killed him.:eek:

Hadn't thought much about it until now. Farm equipment looks like a good candidate for those airless tires. Wonder what the weight comparison of the tires would look like. That and all the pros and cons between the two.

Can't say that I've ever been around any farm implement accidents. Having worked a lot of truck stops, I did get to experience a few super single blowouts in the parking lots. Every time it happened, I thought a shotgun went off right next to my head. My hearing would be muffled for a few minutes. These blowouts would always happen when a trucker decided to make a turn sharp enough that the inside trailer tire would twist in place.

When I worked in the oilfields I worked with a guy from WY who used to work in the big open pit coal mines there on haul trucks. He said one of the trucks had a blow out on the tire under the driver while hauling in the pit and it killed him.:eek:
Exactly

That’s why dot wants drivers to actually use a pressure gauge rather than just kick tires. Forget if it’s 60 or 70psi but they consider that flat and red tag.

ive had 315s destroy brake cans when they let loose like this.

Yep. I also like to use a thermal temp gun to check my tires in the summer, but real soon Im gonna put a tire monitor system on my truck.

When I worked on trucks we had this dumbass mechanic who couldn't do anything right. One day he's checking a tire for leaks with soap water outside the cage. Wasn't much going on that day as I walked past I thought to myself, I wonder if idiot needs any help...na fuck him. Two seconds later it let loose throwing him across the shop and denting the side of another truck where he landed in an unconscious lump. Not sure what happened to him but amberlamps took him and he never came back to work.

The tire drove in flat, and he left the clip on chuck filling the entire time. Could of had anywhere up to 160psi which was our shop psi.

Happens in big mining trucks, rare, but usually catastrophic when it does happen
Ya, but mining trucks are high pressure like a semi. 100+ psi the large ag tires I've been around were more like 35 psi.

I was following a scraper that blew a tire probably 50-60 yards in front of me and it was fucking loud like an explosion, even in the cab you could feel the concussion.

Yea thats the thing... this ain't no OTR tire... im not familiar with the extra big farm stuff but I can't see it having over 30psi. :confused:

I'd say Pyro, but shit- who knows?

Wouldn't think more than 1-2 psi for a tire that big.:homer:
Air pressure had to be enormous to generate that much “blast”. Regardless of the cause of increase, there is no other component to generate that kind of “psi” on the truck doors.

The truck apparently wasn’t hit by shrapnel/tire carcass. Supposedly just the force from the exploded tire. The tire can’t increase pressure above what was stored within the tire without something else.

you can‘t say just pyrolysis unless that breakdown also created explosive gases that increased the blast energy over the psi from the tire

Yea thats the thing... this ain't no OTR tire... im not familiar with the extra big farm stuff but I can't see it having over 30psi. :confused:

Really? I figured with something that heavy, it'd have atleast 80psi in it.

I wish I could ask my granddad, but he's been dead for just over 21yrs lol.

I've ran a few of the big JD farm tractors 9520s with flotation 77"x48"x32s and 9560s with dual something ~7' tall for a 42" wheel. Both were around 35 psi.

For whatever reason the ag tires seem to be low pressure and the construction/mining type are usually a lot higher.

Even 35 psi in that large or a tire does carry a lot of energy. Although I don't think enough to do that kind of damage.

Really? I figured with something that heavy, it'd have atleast 80psi in it.

I wish I could ask my granddad, but he's been dead for just over 21yrs lol.
the reason they run the huge tires is specifically so they can run low pressure
low pressure means low ground pressure, less compaction, less work when doing tillage (or less need for tillage)

Air pressure had to be enormous to generate that much “blast”. Regardless of the cause of increase, there is no other component to generate that kind of “psi” on the truck doors.

The truck apparently wasn’t hit by shrapnel/tire carcass. Supposedly just the force from the exploded tire. The tire can’t increase pressure above what was stored within the tire without something else.

you can‘t say just pyrolysis unless that breakdown also created explosive gases that increased the blast energy over the psi from the tire
The inflation psi rating on those is about 12 PSI :confused: ... am I wrong? How much more pressure can the heat produce with such a large volume tire? Those things would get huge bubbles and distort before exploding. I'm pretty sure they'd notice something like that.

The inflation psi rating on those is about 12 PSI :confused: ... am I wrong? How much more pressure can the heat produce with such a large volume tire? Those things would get huge bubbles and distort before exploding. I'm pretty sure they'd notice something like that.
15 - 45 psi range based on weight

Pyro will increase tire pressure to catastrophic levels. Once the reaction starts there is no real way to shut it down. Look at the video from my original post ,they have a psi gauge hooked to the tire. In two minutes the tire builds enough pressure and blows.

Pyro will increase tire pressure to catastrophic levels. Once the reaction starts there is no real way to shut it down. Look at the video from my original post ,they have a psi gauge hooked to the tire. In two minutes the tire builds enough pressure and blows.
first, what temp is required for the tire to start breaking down.

second, those tires are not designed to handle high psi, so failure should be at a relative low psi. Or does not seem enough for that truck damage

38BFF1F8-C107-4E0A-B6B4-E7D1F9BF00EE.jpeg

Thanks fucker!
She used to be Hot! I’d maybe rather fuck a graboid :lmao:

I have seen a CAT 966(?) loader tire do this one day

....it just popped

everyone wasn't going near that thing, what do you do....wait for it

first, what temp is required for the tire to start breaking down.

second, those tires are not designed to handle high psi, so failure should be at a relative low psi. Or does not seem enough for that truck damage
We had a tire company come in and give a presentation on pyro. One of the things he said was it can start at fairly low temps. They've seen it on semi rims that some one was using a rose bud to heat lug nuts to get them off.We always would weld our bearing races on scrapper rims with the tire mounted to get them out easier, not anymore. Any time one of our haul trucks get the brakes hot now we have to park it out of the way ,bring in a water truck, spray it down and let it sit for a shift.
Brakes on that combine are not that big. They have a hydrostatic lever and you accelerate and stop with it. You almost never use the brakes, only to cut tight corners, get through a gate or when your hooking up your header off the trailer.
I had the drums glowing on a 9200 Deere in short order because I left the brake set one night.
Just because the tire only runs 12 psi doesn't mean its not built to take alot of psi before it blows.

When I worked on trucks we had this dumbass mechanic who couldn't do anything right. One day he's checking a tire for leaks with soap water outside the cage. Wasn't much going on that day as I walked past I thought to myself, I wonder if idiot needs any help...na fuck him. Two seconds later it let loose throwing him across the shop and denting the side of another truck where he landed in an unconscious lump. Not sure what happened to him but amberlamps took him and he never came back to work.

The tire drove in flat, and he left the clip on chuck filling the entire time. Could of had anywhere up to 160psi which was our shop psi.
We dont have a cage where I work, air set to ~110, real questionable tires. Always makes me nervous.

I had a rear outside go boom on a Kenworth a couple of years back, I swear it lifted the ass end off the ground. No explanation for it at all. It was mid winter maybe 15 or 20 degrees out. Truck had been sitting all night and the tires all thumped out as good on my pretrip. I was pulling an aluminum 53' van and was getting ready to load after driving 1, yes 1 mile.

My ears were ringing for the rest of the day.

Top Back Refresh