What's new

What the Hell caused this?????

xr-nut

GROUP W BENCH
Member Number
Loc
BFK. Bum Fuck Kansas
Story and pics popped up on FB. Quote from there and pics:

This was posted on a FB group I’m in. Since we are a rural, farming community— this could happen here so be careful out there! Posted with permission of Bill Donohue
“I’ve been here since almost the beginning, so most of you know my family does farming. Freak accidents happen for no reason. This one beats anything I’ve ever saw.
Steering rod on the combine broke so was hard to steer. But it has left and right brakes, so my son was able to maneuver it out of the field, over to the side, so the others could go by.
I went home to get parts, and just as I’m pulling up, I hear the loudest explosion I’ve ever heard. The front tire on the combine blew up. My sons truck was sitting next to it maybe 10ft away. Blew out all 4 side windows plus the windshield and set off 6 airbags. Blew in both passenger doors so hard the inside panels were tore off. Nothing touched to doors, just concussion.
I can’t believe anyone wasn’t standing there. They would’ve been killed instantly. Thank you lord for looking over us today.”

What caused that? That tire should not have that much pressure in it. the brakes get hot from driving with them, causing heat to build pressure? Yikes.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

Over inflated the tires. Use the brakes to steer probably heated up the tires = expansion = BOOM.

I've heard of it happening and people losing legs, damaging vehicles, etc.

Agree with above 2, pyrolysis What sets it off with no welding, didn’t k ow just brake heat could.

If memory serves, the brakes are on the inboard side of the final drive on a Deere, like most combines I've seen. It wouldn't make sense for heat to transfer to the tire through the final drive enough to overpressure the tire, or heat up the rubber in a significant way.

It appears the combine was loaded with grain when they were steering it to the hopper bottom. On that combine that equals an extra 15,000 pounds (assuming wheat, because Kansas). The stress that using the cutting brakes with a load like that to go very far may have internally torn some of the sidewall cords/belts without knowing it.

I would have thought those had wet brakes, I guess not. Even still, I'm surprised they got that hot just from a short term usage. That blew on the ladder side, coulda been deadly.

I’ve had a tractor just sitting in the sun blow out a sidewall. Just a hot day. Tractor hadn’t been moved all day long. Just happens. Loud when it does happen.

If it is anything like the tires on the tractors I grew up around, each tire had at least one gash in it from bottles that assholes toss out their window or rocks, or other debris. And if tractor tires these days are made as well as other tires, they're probably got a lot less tolerance for tire wounds you'd otherwise get away with.

I was inside a 53 foot van freight trailer once when the trailer tire blew like that.

holy smokes I though it was a bomb.
I swear the trailer came off the ground.

ive also had dual trailer tires, where one blows so hard it takes out the tire next to it .

Heat increases air pressure

Yes, but starting off with lower air pressure in a tire causes it to flex, thus creating more heat.

A standard 11r22.5 semi tire can take like 400psi before blowing up, but if you have one rolling down the road under inflated, say around 70psi, it will flex and heat up to the pout of blowing. But if that same tire is properly inflated to 110-120psi, it will not flex snf actually run cooler, which means no heat build up and no boom.

Top Back Refresh