What's new

What happened to the coin shortage?

Thumping

Member Number
So? Did we sudden have enough or was it more covid bullshit?

I have a 2 gallon pail of change the bank refused to exchange due to covid:rolleyes:

Another dem goal is to go to digital money, that way when they want to they wil ljust go in and take it from you. People are too stupid to just walk around with actual money, they might be squirrling it away.

It was an attempt to drive people away from cash. There wasn’t a shortage other than localized due to places being closed. All the signs I saw went away as soon as biden was confirmed around the 6th.

Yep, even here in bfe Wyoming. Signs were up about the "shortage", till a week or two ago I noticed them all gone.

Broken record, so my apologies:

My family runs 3 primarily cash only/full service gas stations (only 1 of our locations take credit cards). We are inundated with coin. Since covid, our go-to is the local family restaurant, and they are happy to buy all the rolled coin we can sell them. They are happy to have it, and we are happy to sell it to them.

The local bank we deal with is still "drive through only", and wants us to make an appointment to come in and sell them our coin, and I am not dealing with that bullshit.

I stop less than 1/4 mile short of our bank to sell our coin to our friends at their restaurant. They have to deal with the same bullshit when it comes to buying coin from the bank, so it works out for all of us.

Do you make a profit selling coins or are you just trading for bills?

If you are asking me, we just sell them rolled coin as a cash exchange straight out of their register *

* they do make a great banana milkshake, so I do take that as credit towards the coin.

:flipoff2: you for judging me.

If you are asking me, we just sell them rolled coin as a cash exchange straight out of their register *

* they do make a great banana milkshake, so I do take that as credit towards the coin.

Everyone has their vices. If banana milkshakes are yours...so be it. :flipoff2:

Broken record, so my apologies:

My family runs 3 primarily cash only/full service gas stations (only 1 of our locations take credit cards). We are inundated with coin. Since covid, our go-to is the local family restaurant, and they are happy to buy all the rolled coin we can sell them. They are happy to have it, and we are happy to sell it to them.

The local bank we deal with is still "drive through only", and wants us to make an appointment to come in and sell them our coin, and I am not dealing with that bullshit.

I stop less than 1/4 mile short of our bank to sell our coin to our friends at their restaurant. They have to deal with the same bullshit when it comes to buying coin from the bank, so it works out for all of us.
Wish more businesses did things like this.

Dems are about to put the reserve printing press into high gear and with the resultant hyper-inflation, soon coinage won’t be worth anything anyhow...

I just cashed in a year (ish) worth of accumulated coins. The bowl typically holds about $80-$90 worth of pennys, nickels, and dimes. Coinstar kept 12%. I don't have the patience to roll coins.

I just cashed in a year (ish) worth of accumulated coins. The bowl typically holds about $80-$90 worth of pennys, nickels, and dimes. Coinstar kept 12%. I don't have the patience to roll coins.

Your bank won’t do it for free? Sucks to give up 12%

I’ve never heard of a banana milkshake. That sounds really good.

Counting scales are cheap these days, but pennies are sometimes off by one.

Couple years ago I had about $2k to cash in, banks removed all the coin counters and would not take bulk change and I was not paying the 12%, the plastic coin counters were a POS, so I bought a commercial one for about the cost of the $180 was gonna flip it until banks started paying for loose coins, now I might be able to sell it again.
Who needs one? :grinpimp:

Couple years ago I had about $2k to cash in, banks removed all the coin counters and would not take bulk change and I was not paying the 12%, the plastic coin counters were a POS, so I bought a commercial one for about the cost of the $180 was gonna flip it until banks started paying for loose coins, now I might be able to sell it again.
Who needs one? :grinpimp:

Which one is it?

Late last year I was talking to a VP at a local chain of banks and asked him about the coin shortage. He said there was no shortage, ever, not even close to one.

Baugher's on the other side of town.

Hoffman's banana milk shake is pretty good, too. :grinpimp:

Breakfast this morning for me and the boy.:laughing:
20210131_102246.jpg

Counting scales are cheap these days, but pennies are sometimes off by one.

copper ones weigh a lot more than zinc ones

ETA: you can sort the copper ones out throwing them through a couple magnets, the copper ones slow down a lot more from eddy currents in them
they're sometimes worth like 2 pennies as scrap copper, so maybe worth it?

Last edited:
It was always bullshit

the small organized powerful group of people that run the world, that created this fake pandemic have a checklist of goals, or agendas, eliminating cash is one of them.

so they pushed a fake coin shortage as a secondary goal during a fake pandemic, but people got pissed, little old ladies, who were happy to have socially distant mask sewing parties got pissed three fuck off when Kroger rounded their purchase up to the dollar and kept the change

pushing a sub agenda became a liability in the primary agendas, so they backed off

Top Back Refresh