What's new

What do You think the Age limit for President of USA is too "Old" ?

Mudslinger99

Ol' School member
Member Number
Loc
Here
Trump is 74 and Biden is 77.

Do you think there should be an Age Limit to be President and why ?

I know that all people have different "Capacities" as far as Coherent and Alert.

Do you think there should be a Minimum and Maximum ?

I know that all people have different "Capacities" as far as Coherent and Alert.

In the United States, a person must be aged 35 or over to serve as President. To be a Senator, a person must be aged 30 or over. To be a Representative, a person must be aged 25 or older.

I didn't ask what the current regalation is. That's easy to find.

This is more of what "You" think. Mostly towards the Maximum age.

It's a fact as people Age,they get slower both physically and mentally. It surely goes by a person to person bases but should there be a Limit ?

Wow, I had no idea Trump was that old.

Sure. Until they hit puberty, they are all fit for the job... After that, not sure.
11 is the perfect age for a president.

I jumped to those numbers right off the bat, but realized that even with the current limits, and the entire population of the USA, we ended up with two idiots to choose from. What would we get if we limit the field even more?

I jumped to those numbers right off the bat, but realized that even with the current limits, and the entire population of the USA, we ended up with two idiots to choose from. What would we get if we limit the field even more?

Our current 2-party system is going to create that issue regardless of the age range.

I'd be ok with expanding that to 35-65 but that's it for me on the high end. Once you hit 70+ you are getting out of touch with many of the issues that everyone under 40 cares about. My parents are in their early 70's and are pretty sharp, but they have a hell of a time connecting with their grandkids in their upper 20's/lower 30's. Technology changes, the workplace changes, everything changes. If you've been a career politician for 50 years and a multi millionaire for as long, you are completely out of touch with what over 50% of the population wants/needs. Joe Biden graduated from college in the late 60's. Just think how much everything has changed since then. Trump does a little better job of trying to connect with the common man, but he's still far removed from the typical middle class working man.

A 40 year old with some common sense and charisma should theoretically clean house at the polls. Plus, they are young enough to have to think about what they are going to do after the presidency, which would hopefully make them put a little more thought into their decisions/actions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sebastian_Kurz 1986

And he is doing a great job with Austria. Conservative without being a Nazi. Realistic.

"We can have immigrants, sure, about 5 to 10 per town, yea. If we put them up together in the 100, it's a doomed exercise. No integration will happen, instead they will create their own world within Austria. So NO."

Last edited:
Mount Rushmore, original plan was Jefferson to the right of Washington, unstable rock so they stuffed Teddy back in the slot.

Movie in the mt Rushmore museum has Teddy laughing and saying in 10,000 years his image will still be bold and visible while Washington's nose will be gone and smooth as a babies ass. so 10,000 years.:flipoff2:

Leave the minimum and no maximum. Lots of people were against Reagan because he was "too old".
Some people are mental idiots by the time they're 50 and others are still sharp at 90.
A max age is a dumb idea.

Wow, I had no idea Trump was that old.

It’s all the amphetamine

I’d say 35-65. And I’d say 65 when they’re elected so 69 last year in office. This batch is old. And anyone who says the orange game show host hasn’t gotten diminished capacities just watch older interviews on YouTube. And Biden is damn near just eating fruit bowls and drooling on himself in his basement.

Leave the minimum and no maximum. Lots of people were against Reagan because he was "too old".
Some people are mental idiots by the time they're 50 and others are still sharp at 90.
A max age is a dumb idea.

You're also encouraging politicians at the end of their careers to run if there's no max. IMO they are more likely to be a puppet for whatever party they belong to. They just want to ring that bell at the highest end of the political spectrum and ride off into the sunset.

I think they are both up there for the role. I don't agree in a limit.

You're also encouraging politicians at the end of their careers to run if there's no max. IMO they are more likely to be a puppet for whatever party they belong to. They just want to ring that bell at the highest end of the political spectrum and ride off into the sunset.

You don't know that, it's just your opinion. I guess you think Reagan was a puppet too ?

Personally I'd rather see term limits in House and the Senate.

What is worse, a career politician, or a career politician who KNOWS his term is over in this particular office and needs to get PAID?

Term limits guarantee you KNOW your last term and have no accountability to your constituents, so they don't even need to play the game of placating to the constituents interests.

I've preached it before, term limits are not the answer. The answer is breaking up capital hill, and getting the politicians back to their districts. There is no reason, with modern technology for a politician to have office and staff in DC where they live separated from the people who elected them.

35-65 makes sense. There is so much stress in that job, and even with the best available health care, I think it's too much for someone past early 70's. Reagan was sharp as a tack in his candidacy, and even through his first term, but was showing obvious signs of early dementia. Trump and Biden, IMO are both too old for the job, as are many in congress.

I agree with Tin Roof about the disconnect between generations, experience is great and all that, but being able to relate to the generations above and below you is a valuable skill.

You don't know that, it's just your opinion. I guess you think Reagan was a puppet too ?

Well to be fair, I admitted it was my opinion.. :flipoff2: I was 7 years old when Reagan took office. I can't say I have a good opinion either way about him specifically. I do, however, stick to my opinion that putting someone in that office at the end of their career is in most cases a bad idea. YMMV.

I don't think there should be an upper limit.
The problem isn't the age of the candidates, it's the lack of quality of the candidates due to a two-party system that awards cronyism, lobbying, shady ethics, and life-long politicians.
It doesn't mater if they're 35 or 95.

The whole system needs a reboot, the best way to begin that process is term limits in congress.

Well to be fair, I admitted it was my opinion.. :flipoff2: I was 7 years old when Reagan took office. I can't say I have a good opinion either way about him specifically. I do, however, stick to my opinion that putting someone in that office at the end of their career is in most cases a bad idea. YMMV.

McCain would be a prime example.

IMO Median age of the country +-10 years. The current leaders are too old, we need them purged and the new guard brought in, they fucked enough shit up, time to retire.

Given general retirement age is 65, that should be the limit.

Should also do term limits for congress, etc. while we're at it.

Top Back Refresh