What's new

What did you do for your health today?

Medium set of deadlifts this am, medium set of 10 bench and 20 b/w chins. Supersets got the heart rate up nicely

Went to do lower body this morning after adding an extra 2 sets of lunges into yesterday's ruck, and about fell over. One of these days I'll figure out what a gradual increase looks like. Until then, my next 45lb plate shows up today, just in time for this evenings ruck with the dog.

Work keeps tryin to give us the beetus

IMG_6776.jpeg

Eatin this instead

IMG_6777.jpeg

yea but dont waste $ on a cheap one like i did twice, like the stupid flimsy dark iron fitness ones. They fall apart and dont give as good good support

Spend the $ and buy a good two ply leather 3” belt. Like from dominion strength or somewhere

Monday OHP 2 sets 5 then set of 6 and 8 backoffs
Bw chins

Las night
3x3 deadlifts
Top set 3 bench , 2 sets 5 one set 8 backoffs and then light set 5

Front squat, ohp and deadlifts today. Got a set of 5 at 335 done:smokin:. Should I be thinking about getting a lifting bel
I have always gone beltless. I'm more than likely leaving weight on the table, but I am not doing strongman or powerlifting comps, started to just not get old too fast. Switching focus makes me pull away from belts even more.

Long story long I guess, I don't think there's anything wrong with going with a belt, especially getting into the 300s with some lifts, and higher overall reps.

30 minutes on the dreadmill. Starting the conditioning template over, as to do it without lifting, which is gonna suck.

Did get a Garmin HR monitor chest strap and HR seems to be completely in check. Highest was 152, stayed right around 145 average. Perfect.

Full knee pt session plus chest/shoulders and 2 mile walk with 1/4 mile hands behind head. Goblet squats and stairs are getting noticeably easier.

I have always gone beltless. I'm more than likely leaving weight on the table, but I am not doing strongman or powerlifting comps, started to just not get old too fast. Switching focus makes me pull away from belts even more.

Long story long I guess, I don't think there's anything wrong with going with a belt, especially getting into the 300s with some lifts, and higher overall reps.
To me it just feels good, especially squats and OHP

Strength endurance circuit, 2x20. 4x5 pull ups.

Not weight lifting for 5 weeks in this training, but helping one guy with his deadlift realize how much I want to grab a bar and do deads.

3 minutes stair climber at 60 steps per minute (matches requirement for CPAT, national fire academy test) just to see how that was. Seemed slow, but at taller steps could feel more work than normal walking steps. Equaled about 12 flights of stairs.

Then 45 minutes running on the treadmill. ~12.30 pace, focused on HR. 140-145, a few spikes above 150. Felt good other than boring as fuck.

Front squats, bench and rows this morning. Then ran for a hour afterwards before church. Had to slow down a bit today wasn’t 100% this morning. Went to the gym yesterday for extra sparring session with some guys from the twin cities. Fun stuff.

IMG_9815.jpeg

This year ive quit regular daily benzo (ab)use, quit smoking, and quit drinking. I didnt set out to do it, it's a result of being fat and unhealthy and feeling like shit. Next is dropping 50 pounds.

Ive abused my body for far too long.

Last edited:
Why not do deadlifts?

Because from a purely fitness point of view the risk vs reward just isnt there. Especially if doing anything past a moderate weight and especially if you are older. And especially if you dont have perfect form form which most people dont. You quickly hit a point of huge diminishing returns. They almost always devulge into an ego lift. I have a buddy thats bumping 50 and pulls over 600 raw. No belt no straps no nothing. Seems pretty dumb to me but to each their own.

Bought a $50 treadmill off Craigslist which is actually pretty nice. Fooled around for 1.5 miles mostly just walking, but did about 1/2 mile at a brisk jog and started to break a sweat. I am out of shape cardio-wise, but felt good to do.

How is everyone incorporating cardio into their muscle-building routine, if at all? I have in the past never done cardio.

Do it on off days, or do it following weights?

This year ive quit regular daily benzo abuse, quit smoking, and quit drinking. I didnt set out to do it, it's a result of being fat and unhealthy and feeling like shit. Next is dropping 50 pounds.

Ive abused my body for far too long.

Congrats. I've been weed free for a couple weeks. Like you, I didn't have any real desire to stop, but did reach a point where I felt it wasn't all that enjoyable anymore. Can't say I'll never smoke again, but I'd like to be done with daily use. It's nice to have dreams again. Pot, although often used for sleep, is notorious for stifling REM sleep.

Reactions: 2JZ
Congrats. I've been weed free for a couple weeks. Like you, I didn't have any real desire to stop, but did reach a point where I felt it wasn't all that enjoyable anymore. Can't say I'll never smoke again, but I'd like to be done with daily use. It's nice to have dreams again. Pot, although often used for sleep, is notorious for stifling REM sleep.
I spent many years smoking dirt weed all day. I think I got a buzz once. The weed now is so damn strong. I usually take a Clinton hit in the evenings, and I'm good. :smokin:

Because from a purely fitness point of view the risk vs reward just isnt there. Especially if doing anything past a moderate weight and especially if you are older. And especially if you dont have perfect form form which most people dont. You quickly hit a point of huge diminishing returns. They almost always devulge into an ego lift. I have a buddy thats bumping 50 and pulls over 600 raw. No belt no straps no nothing. Seems pretty dumb to me but to each their own.
Curious, what are the diminishing returns?

Light stuff this am to get the blood going. Squats, chins and ohp

Top Back Refresh