What's new

What did you do for your health today?

Well I'm still sober and I quit smoking again a few days ago, that's a start I guess
I’d tell you to take up exercising but my first hand experience should tell you DO NOT take up running if you quit smoking, and quit drinking.

Kudos on sobriety.

I’d tell you to take up exercising but my first hand experience should tell you DO NOT take up running if you quit smoking, and quit drinking.

Kudos on sobriety.
Wait why?

And yeah I need to get back in the gym, I weigh 60 pounds more than I did this time last year, healths been all fucked up and I never take any time to go to the doctor, or relax, or have a life outside of work 🤣

Joez been there. Done that. The exercise helped me clear my head for a while. Stick with it. Sometimes folks who know you outside this place are more helpful when you let them know. Some times they don’t care if you’re spilling your guts out.

Brian468 first I quit smoking, then I quit drinking. My exercise increased after each. Next you’ll be looking at a half marathon, or some cross fit challenge, or a Spartan race because it sounds like fun. After that you’d rather spend Saturday morning exercising for a few hours while other people sleep…it just gets worse and worse.
Don’t get into Garmin watches. Those make you SUPER gay. I am on my third.

You could try spraining your left ankle twice in the first 0.5k and bang on it for the next 21k. It might solve your running problem for a while.
Don't ask me how I know... :homer:

yeah or I could just use miles and not have to count so high. :flipoff2:
That sounds really miserable though. 2 hours of constant pain. I had that for a marathon. Almost 3 hours of ‘please don’t snap’ until the finish line.

I leave all my suffering for the final 2k. Doesn’t matter what the distance is. 40-42km or 3-5km. The finally two K-Ems seem to be the most miserable. Maybe I should try a 100 Kay Em or more.

I got back on the bike about 2yrs ago after a ~25yrs hiatus.
That was when my feet had started to ache after picking up the habit of running mostly every day.
I like both but I would define myself more like a rider. Especially now that my ankle is fucked up.
Running is cheaper for equipment but riding is cheaper for the body :grinpimp:

Last edited:
Equipment is a big reason I stay out of cycling. Id rather buy more Jeep pets or a dirt bike for cycling costs.

Before work, 15 pullups an light bench this am to stretch, did a set of BOR as well

Almost slept 8 hrs last night, unheard of
It’s amazing how well you feel in the morning when you get a good nights sleep.

Did my pyramid run this morning.
IMG_9824.jpeg

Addressing the physical does help the mental, it helps clear my head, reduces my want for a drink, and helps ease the chronic pain. Unfortunately, clearing my head and easing the pain starts to leave room for the demons I have worked to keep buried for the last 20 years to take hold. Even at my worst, I can still function at my job without issue, can put on a smile at home with the family, and while people mostly think I am just fine, that is very far from reality. My wife could always pick up that something wasn't quite right, but since I had no clue how to even begin to communicate what was screaming through my head, I just blamed stress at work and put my smile back on, because then nobody asks more questions. I'm tired of the cycle and have taken it upon myself to seek out some real help.

It would have been a lot easier to post this if there weren't people who actually know me outside of this board, I've been revisiting this draft for probably 6 hours now. Fuck it.
Good on you for seeking help. Nothing weak about that at all. As for what others might think, I know the feels of being known outside of here. It is what it is.

Top Back Refresh