What's new

What did you do for your ford today?

Since I tripped the 'check engine' light; I'm going to wait and buy a code reader to diagnose the engine dying while idling problem.

This is what I fear the most: diagnosing an engine problem/issue.
It won't be too bad, besides I'm sure that there are alot of knowledgeable people on this site on the subject.

I'm making a list of possibilities of why my Bronco randomly dies while idles.

1) Clogged fuel filter
2) Distributor and cap
3) Throttle cable
4)

Anything else?
Idle air controller on some years.

I added coolant to my ride today. :D

The Aerostar is now on four matching tires on four matching OEM 14" Alcoas. It even has a matching spare tire (on a steelie) that's holding pressure just fine. It now has the nicest wheels and tires of anything in my yard. I'm going to miss doing burnouts every day on the dry rotted tires.

Got this to fall out again

Attachments

• 6B1ED20B-D987-413D-A1FD-CD509E240CB8.jpeg
    6B1ED20B-D987-413D-A1FD-CD509E240CB8.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 52
Hauled 2000lb of scrap metal in the Aerostar. I would rather not but I got a free I beam, three milk crates of plumbing fitting and a decent amount of round stock and aluminum out of the deal. Also scaled it so now I know it tares 3400lb with me in it.

2000lb is about the limit of what the van can do. 2500 would probable be fine if it were an electric motor or something dense you could move forward but you're fast approaching the limit of what the drivetrain can get moving without smoking the clutch. This validates my decision to go stupid deep on the gears when I do an axle swap though.

Also apparently the front right tire rubs the fender on compression despite my rims and tire size being stock. I knew the front end was worn the fuck out but damn. That also explains why I catch a random whiff of rubber when I go over a particular bump on the highway with my fatass girlfriend in the passenger seat.

Well; it appears I'm back to pre-1ton/5.13 gear gas mileage.

Old set up:
Factory 8.8 with 3.55 gears
33" BFGs

I averaged approx. 11MPG on that set up.

New set up:
'87 1ton dually with 5.13 gear
37" HMMWV tires

Just finished an entire fuel tank-full; adjusted (3.55 / 5.13 = 14% increase) I got 330 miles out of said tank-full.

Odometer reading: 255,290

290 X 1.14 = 330.6 miles

I'm guessing it'll take 29gal to fill tank.

330.6 / 29 = 11.4MPG

Does this count? I rebuilt the mud pump on it:grinpimp:.
20210608_144938.jpg
this gravel valve and seat were wore out. We have a puller to remove the seat but the arc welder is quicker if its stuck.
20210608_150125.jpg
welding around the inside of the seat shrinks it .
20210609_070943.jpg
new seat in the freezer overnight.
20210609_071039.jpg
20210609_071043.jpg
20210609_071049.jpg
it then gets tool joint compound and smacked in.
20210609_085045.jpg
installing the new pistos on the new rods. I use rosin between the pvc pipe and rod for grip and tighten it with a ¾ drive IR impact wrench.
20210609_132000.jpg
lube it up with dish soap and press it into the new liner. This 5x6 gardener denver duplex piston pump has removable liners as I imagine all piston pumps do.
20210609_140842.jpg
now I'm holding the other liner in while I manually turn the drive end so that I can tighten the piston rod to the cross head. There is more friction between the piston and liner then between the liner, latern ring, gaskets and pump housing, so the liner will try to push out.

Last edited:
My only ford is a 1942 2N tractor any other ford I would use for target practice.

Ive never been on a SUBMARINE mfg by ford, guess government just dont trust em enough to fill that need.

General dynamics yes, General Motors yes, Aston Martin yes, Rolls Royce yes, amazingly not Ford.

Bought the Banks headers a couple days ago. No shipping date as of yet.

Went with the 96+ and CA emissions to get rid of the air tubes. Downside is it uses a flanged connection at the back of the y pipe, whereas I use just a regular 3" pipe currently. I'll either have to cut their flange off or add a flange to what I have now. And add a o2 sensor after the y since this y pipe uses 1 per bank. Oh well.

Said goodbye to it today.

Will hunt down a 70’s truck next. Good riddance to the 80’s Ford. :flipoff2:

Attachments

• C74E3B4E-5FC7-4391-86AC-3C6B072B2DFD.jpeg
    C74E3B4E-5FC7-4391-86AC-3C6B072B2DFD.jpeg
    759.7 KB · Views: 44
Reactions: PAE
20210510_123724.jpg
piece of shit Fords... 63 years old and still punching some of the most successful wells in the valley and probably the state. :smokin:
Well OK you can come by and drill me a well, just this once and yes you can bring your POS ford, Ill keep my eyes closed, dont tell my dawg its a Ford.

Installed a hitch receiver on the Aerostar today. BDL thread here I come:flipoff2:

Gonna try to shove some TTB springs in the rear of that bitch. It's all over the bump stops with 2k in the van. I wanna be able to do 2k in the van and something in tow. Gotta figure out some way to retain the coil at full droop since the OEM springs are longer with a pigtail on both ends and the TTB spring is straight cut on one end.

Put 2k miles in the truck last week. Averaged 19.9 mpg over the trip in “eco mode.”

Not bad for an f350 between 70-85mph.
With my '99.5 F-350 loaded with about 1ton; I used to get 21MPG on the trip South from Boise to San Diego, and 23MPG on the way back.

Granted; the cruise control was set to 63MPH the entire 1,000 miles. :eek:

I had a 60gal aftermarket diesel tank (side saddle), and would have just over a quarter tank left when I reached the destination. :smokin:

Sold it!
I hurt my left knee again and it was kind of difficult to shift so I figure I'll look for another one in an automatic and build it into a flatbed dump.

Got all of the parts to install the 130amp Bronco Graveyard one wire alternator. I was lazy and thought it made sense to order it ready to go, thinking it was a 3G. I now realize it's likely a GM alternator but oh well. Using a 200amp circuit breaker and went a little overkill with 1/0 awg.

I need it for the Vintage Air sure fit AC kit I've been slowly installing the past month, and the Lincoln Mk VIII fan I'm installing (using autocoolguy.com controller).

After these little projects I'm just going to enjoy the truck through the year and save up for the super duty axle swap. Still need rims, tires, rear axle, and WFO arms. $$$

Wired up trailer lights for the Aerostar so I can rent a trailer and clean up the scrap that's been accumulating at my place for 3yr now.

Top Back Refresh