What's new

What did I buy? Is it 2 or 4 stroke?

2big bronco

Og irate
Member Number
Loc
Prunedale ca
I saw this for sale a few months ago for cheap stating it wouldnt run.... I bought it from the guy who beat me to it. He said he put a new stator on it because it didn't have spark and cleaned the carburetor. He also told me it was a 4 stroke....

When I went to buy it it clearly didn't idle right and wouldnt really rev up but seemed to have compression and did start. We agreed on a price and I drug it home.
My kid has done a couple laps around the yard and the whole time I'm thinking "sounds like a really muffled fucked up running 2 stroke" but without the 2 stroke smell or smoke.

I checked the plug and it looks fine but today before leaving for work i started thinking that maybe it is a 2 stroke and has straight gas. I looked it over for 30 seconeds and didn't see anywhere obvious to add 2 stroke oil (it seems that most little pieces of shit like this are oil injected) and the gas did not appear to smell like mix or have a tint to it. The head doesn't look like a 4 stroke head but the exhaust and muffler essentially look the same as my honda xr50

No I haven't done any actual research on it, that's what you assholes are for

20200828_184820.jpg

20200828_184655.jpg

20200828_184704.jpg

The lack of expansion chamber on the exhaust pipe says it's a 4 stroke.

If it's a z50 it's a 4 stroke, they'd never put a 2 stroke in a toddlers quad. :homer:

The lack of expansion chamber on the exhaust pipe says it's a 4 stroke.

If it's a z50 it's a 4 stroke, they'd never put a 2 stroke in a toddlers quad. :homer:

That's how I felt about the exaust.... but the lack of obvious valves in the head made me second guess.

Another semi important detail... it did appear to have an oil fill for the bottom end down low on the motor similar to my 4 stroke xr50 and it had clean oil in it. Looked when I bought it. I also dont recall that being red or green oil...

I'm ASSuming the valve things are hidden under there?:homer:

:flipoff2:

​​​​​If by valve things you mean the intake and exhaust valves then you'd be correct. I'd start by figuring out exactly what it is and finding a manual on the engine. Coil gap, valve lash and baseline carb settings all matter. Well they matter too most people, I doubt you're too concerned. :flipoff2:

​​​​​If by valve things you mean the intake and exhaust valves then you'd be correct. I'd start by figuring out exactly what it is and finding a manual on the engine. Coil gap, valve lash and baseline carb settings all matter. Well they matter too most people, I doubt you're too concerned. :flipoff2:

Or, he could take that cover off and fondle just the tips.

Looks like a 4 stroke to me. Maybe run 50:1 until you figure it out for sure :lmao::lmao:

It's hard to see from the pictures but if the carburetor hooks to the top of the cylinder or head It's a 4 stroke. If the carburetor hooks to the bottom of the cylinder or bottom end It's a 2 stroke.
Useless piece of information we had 2 strokes and my nephew had a Chinese 4 stroke instead of having two gas cans we just put 32:1 klotz in it and it was fine.

Four stroke see that little bubble cover right next to the spark plug? The valves are in there - 1 exhaust and 1 intake valve. Anyways I have a service manual for a 2009 LTZ50. Should be the same thing as yours. In the manual they show pictures of a 2006. I think that same design has been there since at least the late 90s. PM me your email address and I can send the service manual to you.

If it was a 2-stroke with straight gas, it would already be seized . . .

. . . and wouldn't have crankcase oil . . .

. . . or a VALVE COVER on the head :homer:

2BB, U B trollin' IBB 2day? :laughing:

If it was a 2-stroke with straight gas, it would already be seized . . .

. . . and wouldn't have crankcase oil . . .

. . . or a VALVE COVER on the head :homer:

2BB, U B trollin' IBB 2day? :laughing:

No I was being serious unfortunately:homer:. The damn thing sounds like a 2 stroke I swear. I'm also used to my honda 50 which doesn't sound, look, or run anything like this one.

Needs a NEW spark plug. Change that and get back to us. All small four strokes (well 2 strokes also) around here get a new plug as part of diagnostics on crappy running conditions.

Top Back Refresh