What's new

What computer slots are these?

crispins

FJB
Member Number
Loc
Pigeon Forge, TN
I want to order a HDMI video card for this HP desktop computer I use for work.

I have a 32" LCD TV I want to use as a computer monitor.

These 3 slots are open, what the fuck card should I order?

20200729_140159.jpg

I'm no genius but I'd put toast in those slots....

or use this:
Click image for larger version  Name:	mobo_pcie.jpg Views:	0 Size:	101.1 KB ID:	86520

and if that doesn't work, look what it says next to the slots

IF i were you id take the serial number the board, google that and find the manual. It will tell you what the slots are and their capabilities

MOBO example.jpg

TVs usually aren't the best for PC monitors. There's a bit of a input lag. As a gamer, I'd notice it. You may get away with it if you're not around one all day long. Just keep that in mind.

What resolution TV?

rh8XDH6.jpg

I'll ship it to yea tomorrow if you want it. Has one HDMI port. Can't guarantee its performance, though.

Newer than any computer mama boards I have laying around.

TVs usually aren't the best for PC monitors. There's a bit of a input lag. As a gamer, I'd notice it. You may get away with it if you're not around one all day long. Just keep that in mind.

What resolution TV?

rh8XDH6.jpg

I'll ship it to yea tomorrow if you want it. Has one HDMI port. Can't guarantee its performance, though.

It is just for surfing this site, checking emails, and spreadsheets.

The tv is a 1080

That card looks like 100x more than I need

I just did some reading and the TV might not be that great of an idea.

I have it laying around and the 22" I have is a bit small for my eyes which are going to shit.

Ill try itm if it sucks Ill just buy a larger computer monitor.

Thanks for the offer but I just bought one off Ebay for cheap even though it is not as nice as the one you have it should work ok.

Thanks again.

IF i were you id take the serial number the board, google that and find the manual. It will tell you what the slots are and their capabilities

easiest place to start. keeps you from buying soething that wont work or is a waste of money

So after even more reading I think this won't work good enough.

I am thinking the pixal density is not going to be great on this TV.

This was a cheap tv when I bought it 4 years ago.

I will try it out but I think a decent 27" computer monitor is in my future.

It is just for surfing this site, checking emails, and spreadsheets.

The tv is a 1080

That card looks like 100x more than I need

I just did some reading and the TV might not be that great of an idea.

I have it laying around and the 22" I have is a bit small for my eyes which are going to shit.

Ill try itm if it sucks Ill just buy a larger computer monitor.

Thanks for the offer but I just bought one off Ebay for cheap even though it is not as nice as the one you have it should work ok.

Thanks again.

No prob. It just sits on the shelf in the basement. Been saving it for in case I decide to throw something together for a shop PC to look things up that I'm wrenching on. But a tablet may be the way I go with that. I think I still have my 8800GTS kicking around somewhere too. These cards are like ten years old. They're sorely outdated. I'll keep it on a shelf up here if you change your mind.

So after even more reading I think this won't work good enough.

I am thinking the pixal density is not going to be great on this TV.

This was a cheap tv when I bought it 4 years ago.

I will try it out but I think a decent 27" computer monitor is in my future.

$200 at best buy got me a monitor that will the max of my 5 year old video card in my 10 year old motherboard. replaced a monitor that was 15 or more years old, so pretty cheap in the scheme of things and looks awesome

What resolution TV?

rh8XDH6.jpg

That thing would pop his stock power supply in about 3 minutes if he even has the power connectors in the first place :laughing:

I didn't think the 7xx series drew that much PSU juice, I thought that was a big problem with the 5xx and 6xx series.

My GTX 780 TI is a power hog. Do what I do. Buy used Dell workstations for pennies on the dollar and enjoy dual xeon CPUs, 1000 watt power supplies and shit loads of ram slots all built on a board that's built to server specs rather than shit desktop quality.

Most HP's dont have power connectors. You need board powered. Try to find a 1050 ti that dont have a 6 pin connector. It's about the best youll get with that board.

My GTX 780 TI is a power hog. Do what I do. Buy used Dell workstations for pennies on the dollar and enjoy dual xeon CPUs, 1000 watt power supplies and shit loads of ram slots all built on a board that's built to server specs rather than shit desktop quality.

any chance you can shoot me an ebay link to one? I would like to have a backup workstation as mine is shaky

I use my 65" LED TV as a computer monitor for gaming and I do some work and web surfing on it. Like any hi def tv, you have to be sitting normal tv viewing distance away from it or it looks like shit. I do have a gaming style desktop so your mileage may vary. You should be able to build a work forcused desktop pretty easily that will work with a hi def tv for pretty cheap. Its basically plug evreything together and turn on, with windows 10 there is pretty much zero programming knowledge needed.

this ^

And the dark slot looks like an agp (accelerated graphics port) slot. which translates to that's your highest graphics speed slot

Are they still doing the "mirror image motherboard" thing so their boards and cases won't interchange with every other board and case of the same form factor?

Yyou can use control + to zoom in and control - to zoom out? Try control + and zoom to 125%.

Why would you want some other case? The Dell Precision workstations are pretty great all-around.

I used to work IT and we had a massive variety of stuff and it's a PITA when a third of your workstations aren't parts compatible with the other 2/3.

3000 series are out this fall/winter. just saying. :smokin:

Top Back Refresh