What's new

What Breaks Next?

pinion? Carrier bearing caps? everything else?
if your running deep gear ratios pinion/ ring gear contact area becomes a problem.

Axle U Joints, Gear teeth, Selectable hubs if equipped. Probably in that order?

Or if you are in a V8 CJ trying to pull out an F-150 stuck to the frame in mud you detonate both U joints and the axle housing where the tubes press in all at the same time. :homer:

Edit: went looking for pics and found one.:lmao:
D30.jpg

Last edited:
I'm kinda all over the place with this thing:laughing:

I don't want to dump a bunch of money into the axles that are in it but I want to beat on it a bit.

All the plans for it changed a few months ago.

I might have a 60 and a 14 for it.

If I go that route it'll be quick and dirty. I don't want it down for months and months.

I also have a driver drop 205 id be putting in at the same time.

So we can put the transfer case discussion to rest before we even get there:laughing:

build the axles now , like get brackets welded on, do internals, gather all the parts, then its only down for a short time, no since on having the whole rig on jack stands why you put the axles together.

bend the C's. :flipoff2:

I have 30 spline RCV, 4.56, 30 spline Eaton with 35s and it's held up. The housing has not. I don't want to redo the D30 but the C's are super bent but unsure what the next thing should be, trying to get a buggy going to not super excited to redo the front axle either.

So you're sayin im GTG:flipoff2:

I think if you keep your expectations reasonable, you should be able to have a blast.

Ol action fap did a lot of shit with a polished dana 30.

If you want to drink a 12 pack of pomegranate bud lite seltzers and do clutch dumps in reverse while blasting Katy perry's firework, than probably go D60.

D30 with alloy shafts usually break at the inner spline or the r&p. Approximately 50/50 and I have a pile of broken parts that comprises a statistically significant sample.

Good news is that D30 with alloy shafts is surprisingly resilient; especially if you keep the tire size at 35" or less.

Friend just broke the teeth off the front ring barely move XJ on 35s...

Friend just broke the teeth off the front ring barely move XJ on 35s...
How well-used was it? Ratio?

My XJ have 36x13.50R15 IROK bias (actual 37” tall) on HPD30/C8.25 with 4.56 ring & pinion. C8.25 have Aussie locker, otherwise 100% stock. D30 have Grizzly locker & chromo shafts with full circle snap rings, sleeved tubes, ruff stuff cover, inner c gussets. Zero breakage so far, other than wearing out wheel u joints quick (it’s became a pre-trip preventative maintenance check & replace, before they get to break on me)

No idea. But why waste the time when 44s are dime a dozen and much better in every aspect.

You've wasted all that time and energy on a Dana 30 to make it comparable to a stock Dana 44...

No idea. But why waste the time when 44s are dime a dozen and much better in every aspect.
What d44 for “dime a dozen”?
You've wasted all that time and energy on a Dana 30 to make it comparable to a stock Dana 44...
I’m satisfied with my D30 for the money and time I put into it. it’s what the XJ came with and I made it to work.

I don’t rock-bounce with my XJ. It’s my recreational wheeling rig, and served me well so far. I have no reason to say you’re either correct or incorrect. I’m a bigger fan of throwing a few hundreds of $ turd-polishing the D30 and go wheeling on some trails than wheeling on a set of jack stands for months, which is exactly what the OP is looking for.

To op; Lilyota chromo shafts and nongreasable spicer U joints with full circle snap rings will make the d30 dramatically stronger and get you by as you get your d60/14b readied for the quick & dirty swap. :smokin:

I completely disagree.

Old D44s like Ford and waggy are getting hard to find and usually need a lot of parts to make them run able. Not to mention you spend all the money and time swapping over to a totally different axle, just to have the same tiny ujoint. :homer:

I'd much rather spend ~$600 on chromos and a weekend swapping over than swapping a stupid old style D44.

 Rubicon D44s are not what I'd call dime a dozen either.

Like I said, if tire size, wieght and expectations are kept reasonable, I don't see why it wouldn't be a ton of fun.

Dana 44 chromos, tiny u joints... Never broke ring Gears, never broke housings, never broke u joints, 35s on a 5400 lb scout.

The ring gear alone is worth the time. Oh and gues swhat you don't have to waste time sleeving them either.

Dana 44 chromos, tiny u joints... Never broke ring Gears, never broke housings, never broke u joints, 35s on a 5400 lb scout.

The ring gear alone is worth the time. Oh and gues swhat you don't have to waste time sleeving them either.

Glad it works for you. You were smart to stay with only 35s.

You obviously must not wheel very hard though because every person I know, except maybe on 3k lb jeep, who polished up a D44 ended up breaking it so many times they sold it for a huge loss and went D60. This is full size Trucks all the way to samurais. :laughing:

Also, I hope you're kidding about the housing on the scout D44. Its nothing to brag about.

Buddy of mine is partying a trussed 30spl’d ARB’d w/4.56s on an XJD30 with 35s in his TJ and has yet to have an issue for the past 2 seasons. And he’s not too gentle on it.

However if it were me I’d stock up on some 97+ junkyard shafts and get quick at changing them. Cheaper and they honestly will hold up decent if you don’t drive by braille.

Glad it works for you. You were smart to stay with only 35s.

You obviously must not wheel very hard though because every person I know, except maybe on 3k lb jeep, who polished up a D44 ended up breaking it so many times they sold it for a huge loss and went D60. This is full size Trucks all the way to samurais. :laughing:

Also, I hope you're kidding about the housing on the scout D44. Its nothing to brag about.
The only pitfall of the Scout 44 is thin tubes and the "Dana 30 spindles and external hubs".

My front end was always dancing. Hopping, smashing. Wasn't very easy on it.

Only on a 60 front now because 40s.

Top Back Refresh