What's new

What Are You Reading?

I'm reading the Darksword 'trilogy'... wrapping up 2nd book here in 10 mins or so:grinpimp: I'm debating on whether to go with Wheel of Time series next. Two series before Darksword, I did 'all' of the Dune books; original plus son's work.

1719866547365.jpeg

Kinda is. :laughing:

IMG_2664.jpeg

I’ve read a couple of Annie Jacobsen’s books - they’re all quite good, and well-researched. Truth is indeed stranger than fiction.

Currently reading this - about Elizabeth Holmes and Theranos. About halfway through, and it often reads like complete fiction. The amount of naïveté, greed, backstabbing, and overlooking of common intuition is staggering. The very definition of “fake it ‘til you make it”.

IMG_1273.jpeg

Taking a break from my usual. Read the whole Throne of Glass series last month, now onto these five.

Attachments

• 20240701_172542.jpg
    20240701_172542.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1
I want to try a audio book again.

The firstast was American Sniper and the fake Texan accent killed it in under a minute.

I don't read a ton. Mostly audiobook-esque short stories.

Last actual book I read was probably when I looked something up in a textbook.

That said, I think I have 3 or 4 web browser tabs open on rock crawler suspensions.

I just finished "Rich Dad; Poor Dad" by that Kiyosaki nutball.

Honestly, I think he made some good points, although anyone with common sense may not really have any major revelations from the book.

Key takeaway: the rich buy luxuries last; the poor and middle class buy them first.

I just finished "Rich Dad; Poor Dad" by that Kiyosaki nutball.

Honestly, I think he made some good points, although anyone with common sense may not really have any major revelations from the book.

Key takeaway: the rich buy luxuries last; the poor and middle class buy them first.
I started reading it, and got maybe 1/3 the way through and started thinking the same thing. Be smart with money and it will pay you back.

I have Extreme Ownership that I've started 3 times and have yet to get deep. Want to reread Can't Hurt Me and Green Protocol

I don't read a ton. Mostly audiobook-esque short stories.

Last actual book I read was probably when I looked something up in a textbook.

That said, I think I have 3 or 4 web browser tabs open on rock crawler suspensions.

I have a lot of stuff like that. Online and physical copies. I just posted the non-tech book.

Forgot to bring this with me.
IMG_5713.jpeg

Love that book. I originally read it in conjunction with Monsters and Magical Sticks by Steven Heller, NLP by Niel Shah and The Four Agreements by Miguel Ruiz; it is amazing how concepts in Thinking Fast and Slow show up in other books; I constantly go back and re-read parts of it as I'm reading something else. I've also referenced it in several different threads. Definitely worth the time to read.

I typically read about 7 books at a time, and I usually have several different color highlighters and a pen and will highlight parts and/or leave notes in the margin. I used to be a "one book at a time" kind of reader (and would never consider writing in or highlighting parts of a book) until I read Turn the Page by Chris Brady and the points made in that book, lead me to giving reading multiple books a try. It is amazing how something you read about in one book will show up in another book and allow your brain to come up with new conclusions that are in neither book.

This is my current stack. I've read the Bible several times, in different translations, but this is the first time using a Chronological Bible and I'm seeing things I didn't see before. Can't Hurt Me and The Way of the Superior Man are my current "be a better man" books. Oneness is a book I'm using to offset/reground my mind/provide a potential counter-perspective of the last two, which I picked up after being asked what I thought about BDSM relationships as they relate to a Christian lifestyle and I honestly didn't know enough to give the guy an answer, so I decided to find out (and the conclusions I'm coming up with might surprise you, but that's a topic for another thread after I've gone through a few more books on the topic). Finally, I'm re-reading Monsters and Magical Sticks from a how to help someone with an extremely traumatic experience point of view.

1719856458133.png

Can't Hurt Me is a great read, its the first book I've ever written in/highlighted. Ever

Just some food for thought, you can practice BDSM without being a Dom/Domme/Submissive encounter.

Can't Hurt Me is a great read, its the first book I've ever written in/highlighted. Ever
I've barely started it. I also have the audio book, which is a recording of the author, so that makes it interesting. I'm normally not a big fan of audio books as I'm a very visual/kinesthetic learner, but I'm making an exception for this book.

Just some food for thought, you can practice BDSM without being a Dom/Domme/Submissive encounter.
My thoughts as well, and there is some real psychology behind it as well (I'm currently looking for books that analyze the BDSM culture from a psychological perspective that aren't (overly) critical of the culture).

The guy who asked me about it is curious about it due to his wife's childhood trauma as a way to "push her boundaries" that are a result of said trauma. This does seem to be a common theme in the BDSM culture.

I also think the rise in popularity of the BDSM culture is a "yin/yang" response to the "woke" culture's view of masculinity being "toxic". Regardless of the biological gender of the "Dom" and "Sub", the Dom is masculine energy and the Sub is feminine energy. And in reading The Way of The Superior Man, intimate relationships need both masculine and feminine energy (even in same sex relationships or reversed role relationships) or the energy of the relationship will suffer. Just like electricity, you need both poles (+ and -) or there's no power.

The subject (more the concepts than the techniques) has definitely intrigued me and I'll be reading more on the topic.

GodsofEden.jpg

Pretty interesting so far - I'll dig into how historically accurate it is after I finish it. Has some pretty interesting things to say about inflation and central banks among other things. Was considering making a thread about data points from this book combined with other tie-ins from other thing's I've read or heard lately but we'll see

all audio since i drive a ton
bomber mafia - gladwell
stealth - peter westwick
skunk works - ben rich
how to build a race car - adrian newey
what did you expect - paul tripp
the language of love and respect - emerson eggrichs

completely outside of what i would normal listen to, but an old coworker convinced me to give it a shot. i got sucked it and mowed through the 6 books that are out in a few weeks and am pissed he hasnt released the rest yet
dungeon crawler carl series - matt dinniman

That’s a pretty good series, haven’t read much steampunk. He wrote the first book and then left it hanging while he churned out more Dresden books (not a big fan of modern day fantasy or mysteries) second book is out now though. I liked his Codex Alera series.
Anne Bishop, the black jewels series. Almost done with book 9
img_4508.jpeg
What a fucked up series, I read a bunch of them:lmao: the world building was actually pretty good even if the subject matter is icky. :laughing:

I'm reading the Darksword 'trilogy'... wrapping up 2nd book here in 10 mins or so:grinpimp: I'm debating on whether to go with Wheel of Time series next. Two series before Darksword, I did 'all' of the Dune books; original plus son's work.
I have read through Wheel of time twice once in book and once on audiobook. For the most part it’s worth it but it can be a slog, especially the last few books that Robert Jordan wrote. The first three books move pretty fast and smooth and are a bit like LOTR with more complex characters and less of the fantasy races. By book four you will know if you want to keep going, book 7 or 8 and you will want to quit. :lmao:

IMG_5780.jpeg

This is probably the best book I’ve ever read …

IMG_5779.jpeg

I just finished listening to this guys life …. I think the voice being a combo of Forest Gump and C W McCall ( the convoy song) had me hooked

IMG_5778.jpeg

I’m on audio book 17 of the series of Travis McGee

Oh, I did just read Monkey Butt …. As someone who grew up with dirtbikes … it’s a classic
IMG_5781.jpeg

One of the first books that got me into reading back in high school was "Sphere" by Crichton.
Even if you saw the movie, if you happen to like the concept you should read the book.

Way better than movies, most books. So no matter what you movie you think you like, try the book and you might like it more.

That’s a pretty good series, haven’t read much steampunk. He wrote the first book and then left it hanging while he churned out more Dresden books (not a big fan of modern day fantasy or mysteries) second book is out now though. I liked his Codex Alera series.

What a fucked up series, I read a bunch of them:lmao: the world building was actually pretty good even if the subject matter is icky. :laughing:

I have read through Wheel of time twice once in book and once on audiobook. For the most part it’s worth it but it can be a slog, especially the last few books that Robert Jordan wrote. The first three books move pretty fast and smooth and are a bit like LOTR with more complex characters and less of the fantasy races. By book four you will know if you want to keep going, book 7 or 8 and you will want to quit. :lmao:
getting my steam punk on because there is a steam punk event in Hannibal MO labor day. so yay... :grinpimp::grinpimp:

Spellmonger series
By Terry Mancour

I think I'm in book 8 or something like that.

Screenshot_20240702-082006.png

I'm a sucker for murder mystery novels. Currently on a Ruth Ware kick. Before that it was a Jonathan Kellerman (crime/murder mystery w/ psychological elements) kick with some Harlan Coben (murder/mystery w/ action) thrown in occasionally.

I read a shitload of books when I have free time. It's been one of my favorite ways to pass the time since I was a kid.

I'm a sucker for murder mystery novels. Currently on a Ruth Ware kick. Before that it was a Jonathan Kellerman (crime/murder mystery w/ psychological elements) kick with some Harlan Coben (murder/mystery w/ action) thrown in occasionally.

I read a shitload of books when I have free time. It's been one of my favorite ways to pass the time since I was a kid.
The Patricia Cornwell series with the lead character Kay Scarpetta are pretty good.

I'll have to take a look, thanks for the suggestion. Any book you recommend in particular?
Postmortem is the first one and is really good. Body Farm is another good one. I think I've read all of the books in the series, there's around 20 of them.

Top Back Refresh