What's new

Welding truss with proper geometry

RunningProblem

Red Skull Member
Member Number
I have a kingpin Dana 60 out of an 89 F 350.
I have the Artec truss designed for swapping this axle into various jeeps (TJ, XJ, etc.).
The axle is going into a 1989 Cherokee
I have no idea what I’m doing so I’m looking for info on how to set my pinion angle, caster angle, and any other important angles I’m missing out on in order to weld this so install is easier. Last thing I want to do is weld it up and find out I screwed myself out of a good install.

I believe caster should be around 7 degrees and the pinion angle should be around 3-4. Can I just put the axle on jack stands, set the pinion angle to 4 degrees, and weld the truss on so it measures flat? The axle is in stock form with brackets cut off currently. I’m just learning to weld, and how to do a one ton swap before I start cutting and welding things.

The caster is already set in relation to the pinion angle. You should have some adjustment in your arms, I weld them so the top of the truss is perpendicular with the diff cover face. Then dial in caster as needed when you have everything together.

I'd tack weld the truss and link mounts on first the way you are thinking, get it under the Jeep at full bump and check for interference with the oil pan, harmonic balancer and steering. If its all good then burn it home. Better safe than sorry!

I'd tack weld the truss and link mounts on first the way you are thinking, get it under the Jeep at full bump and check for interference with the oil pan, harmonic balancer and steering. If its all good then burn it home. Better safe than sorry!

This^^^

Tack and check.

I think you'll find that there is really only one way the truss will fit right on the axle housing...................without modification.

I figured there is one way it will fit and just the “wiggle room” that it could set things off a few degrees.

Top Back Refresh